    be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

    Thanks

    If he is so smart, how come he is dead? - Homer Simpson
    Vinylmixer, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Vinylmixer

    [BnH] Guest

    I use a Compact AW and last time the rain poured on me ... I was soaking wet
    and the gear inside is complete dry.
    Basically the AW has a rain cover jacket that wrap around your bag .. so
    unless it got a hole .. nothing can get in :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Apr 13, 2005

  3. Vinylmixer

    Bigguy Guest

    Outdoor shop have waterproof backpack covers... or get an army-surplus rain
    poncho ;-)

    Guy

    Bigguy, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Vinylmixer

    Dave Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:53:58 GMT, "Vinylmixer" <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or need a
    >AW version, the version specifically being the PhotoTrekker AW II and the
    >PhotoTrekker Classic (no AW).
    >
    >The questions is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would I
    >be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

    Plastic bags are cheap. ;-)
    Dave, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Vinylmixer

    Vinylmixer Guest

    Interesting as the replies are non of them answer my question:

    The question is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would I

    Vinylmixer, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Vinylmixer

    Sheldon Guest

    > Interesting as the replies are non of them answer my question:
    >
    > The question is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would
    > be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

    I go the AW not because it was water proof but because the bag had a better
    design. I doubt the normal bag would soak right through in a normal rain,
    but if you plan on being in a constant rain or climate where the bag is
    going to get constantly wet the AW might be a better choice.

    Sounds like you are going to have to find someone who has a non AW bag who
    got caught in the rain. :) A better bet might be to check out Lowepro's
    Web site and send off an e-mail or give them a call.
    Sheldon, Apr 13, 2005
  7. "Vinylmixer" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting as the replies are non of them answer my question:
    >
    > The question is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would

    > be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

    I have a (non AW) MiniTrekker, and I have a rucsac, which carries surveying
    gear, with one of these AW style raincovers. When I was using the rucsac I
    found it was quite difficult to package the equipment, and get the raincover
    over the rucsac before a heavy squall hit us. (And, we could see it coming!)
    So, great protection at the expense of being able to get at one's equipment.
    I certainly wouldn't expect my Mini-Trekker to have stayed dry in the
    downpour which then hit us. The main compartment zip on mine has only
    slight protection against driven rain, whereas there is a decent overlap for
    the zip closing the smaller compartment.

    Some years earlier my Minolta X700 failed temporarily when caught in a heavy
    rainstorm. And it was protected in 2 plastic bags sealed with elastic
    bands. I think condensation got at the circuit boards. Drying out on a
    radiator got it back working.
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Malcolm Stewart, Apr 13, 2005
  8. Vinylmixer

    Vinylmixer Guest

    I have a Nova 1 AW, maybe its time to put it into the rain without the cover
    and see how much rain it takes (empty of course), it uses the same
    outermaterial as the non AW backpack im interested in

    Vinylmixer, Apr 13, 2005
  9. Vinylmixer

    Mark² Guest

    > Hi all
    >
    > I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or need
    > AW version,

    Perhaps the better question would be:
    Can you really afford NOT to have rain protection for your gear?
    I know I can't.

    I have found the AW features of my Lowe-Pro bags to be absolutely
    life-saving for my gear on many many occasions.
    You never know when you might find yourself in a real down-pour.
    It's saved my gear from sea salt spray, Hawaii downpours, Alaskan storms,
    ocean waves, and generally sloppy conditions on many many occasions. I have
    three AW bags (backpack and two Orion torso packs--my all-time favorite,
    BTW), and it will take a lot to get me to buy anything else.

    -Mark
    Mark², Apr 14, 2005
  10. Vinylmixer

    Mark² Guest

    >I have a Nova 1 AW, maybe its time to put it into the rain without the
    >cover
    > and see how much rain it takes (empty of course), it uses the same
    > outermaterial as the non AW backpack im interested in

    AW bags without the cover on soak up water like a sponge.
    The AW cover is indispensable in wet/muddy/salt-spray conditions.
    Absolutely worth any extra $$.

    -Mark

    Mark², Apr 14, 2005