    showing low now. What can cause this and/or what can you do to increase it?

    Thanks,
    Ed.
    Ed., Jul 4, 2004

  2. Ed.

    Ed Guest

    Interference.

    Is there a cordless telephone (operating at 5.4Ghz) near the router or
    laptop? Maybe a neighbor's Wi-Fi operating at 5.4Ghz is nearby? Try
    running Netstubler to see if there any Wi-Fi signals around.

    Ed, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Ed.

    Papa Guest

    Try unplugging your router (or whatever you are using as your wireless
    Access Point) from the 110 volt power source, wait at least a minute, and
    then plug it back in. This has worked for me.

    Papa, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Ed.

    Ed. Guest

    OK, thank you for the reply and I will give that a try.

    Ed., Jul 5, 2004
  5. Ed.

    Box134 Guest

    In spite of the signal strength showing as low, do you find a slowdown in
    your network? I went through this with my Linksys WAP, signal strength
    excellent, and then one day, under identical condition, it's low. I went
    through all kinds of gyrations trying to find the cause when I realized that
    my normal network activities seemed the same. I ignored the signal strength
    indication and went on with life. Eventually the signal strength came back
    to excellent.

    It's just my theory, but I think the signal strength readings aren't always
    accurate with this kind of equipment.

    Box134, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Ed.

    Papa Guest

    You are no doubt correct, but in my case the signal strength "meter" was
    accurate, and when it said "Low", it really was low and I was unable to
    connect to the internet. Soon afterwards it said "Disconnect".

    By resetting my router (power down, wait a minute, power up), signal
    strength immediately returned to "Excellent" and I was able to resume
    surfing.

    Why this behavior? I don't have a clue. Maybe someone else can explain it.

    I don't think the answer is a low quality router because too many similar
    complaints have been posted from users who have a wide variety of router
    brands.
    Papa, Jul 6, 2004
  7. Ed.

    Dave Guest

    "Papa" <> wrote in message
    > You are no doubt correct, but in my case the signal strength "meter" was
    > accurate, and when it said "Low", it really was low and I was unable to
    > connect to the internet. Soon afterwards it said "Disconnect".
    >
    > By resetting my router (power down, wait a minute, power up), signal
    > strength immediately returned to "Excellent" and I was able to resume
    > surfing.
    >
    > Why this behavior? I don't have a clue. Maybe someone else can explain it.
    >
    > I don't think the answer is a low quality router because too many similar
    > complaints have been posted from users who have a wide variety of router
    > brands.

    maybe there are a bunch of cheap routers out there?
    Dave, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Ed.

    Ed. Guest

    Thanks for the reply and yes, we do have 5.4Ghz phones in the house. That
    may be it.
    How do you run Netstubler for curiosity. I am not familiar with that and
    would like to know and see what it does show?

    Ed., Jul 8, 2004
  9. Ed.

    Box134 Guest

    Not much to it. Load the software onto a laptop, run it, and Netstumbler
    will let out a sound every time it finds a network. I've tried using it from
    the car and it's amazing what you can pick up. I think we found over 90
    networks, some of which one could actually surf from.

    Box134, Jul 12, 2004
  10. Ed.

    Ed. Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I did a search for Netstumbler on google and found and
    downloaded it. I will run it later to check it out. I didn't realize it was
    a program. I thought maybe it was some command you would use in Start, Run,
    Cmd.

    Thanks again

    Ed., Jul 12, 2004
  11. Ed.

    siddharth_b

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Improving the signal strength

    Signal strengths is a big problem! Main this is that its not a software thing so you end up with buys different hardware with no guarantee which is going to work.

    Buying more powerful antenna and specially directional antennas really helped.

    I've had my share of problems with signal strengths. I've put them in my post at http://siddharthbarman.com/blog/2011/09/13/setting-up-a-powerful-wireless-at-home/
    siddharth_b, Sep 13, 2011