    handheld.

    currently using f717, but it has unacceptable noise to me at iso settings
    above 100.

    someone, Aug 29, 2003

  2. someone

    Don Coon Guest

    Sure. Should be more than adequate. My basement rec room has fluorescent
    lamps probably somewhat equivalent to airport indoor lighting. However, to
    be sure I turned off one half of the lamps. Using a 50mm f/1.8 I was able
    to shoot at 1/60 ISO 200, no flash, handheld. You'd probably get away with
    ISO 100 because I think my room with half the lights off is dimmer than an
    airport terminal -- especially if you use the 50 f/1.4.

    I can't believe you'd need more than ISO 400 in any case. Of course if it's
    a dark and dingy terminal you may have problems.

    Good Luck!

    Don Coon, Aug 29, 2003

  3. someone

    Lisa Horton Guest

    In the terminals and other lit buildings yes. Out on the ramps,
    difficult, maybe doable.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 29, 2003
  4. someone

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    someone <> wrote:
    >can the following combination produce acceptable pictures in an indoor
    >setting, e.g. airport at night?
    >
    >lens: 24mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4
    >iso: 1600 or 3200
    >no flash.
    >handheld.
    >
    >currently using f717, but it has unacceptable noise to me at iso settings
    >above 100.

    The noise in 1600 ISO images *in sunlight* on a 10D is impressively low.
    However, I have found that the need to boost the blue channel to fix the
    white balance under flourescent light results in images shot under
    artificial light at 1600 ISO to be considerably noisier. YMMV.

    --
    /* _ */main(int k,char**n){char*i=k&1?"+L*;99,RU[,RUo+BeKAA+BECACJ+CAACA"
    /* / ` */"CD+LBCACJ*":1[n],j,l=!k,m;do for(m=*i-48,j=l?m/k:m%k;m>>7?k=1<<m+

    Chris Brown, Aug 29, 2003
  5. (someone) writes:

    > can the following combination produce acceptable pictures in an indoor
    > setting, e.g. airport at night?
    >
    > lens: 24mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4
    > iso: 1600 or 3200
    > no flash.
    > handheld.
    >
    > currently using f717, but it has unacceptable noise to me at iso settings
    > above 100.

    Better than film, anyway. Whether they're acceptable to *you* would
    be another question, and I don't know you well enough to answer that.

    (Based mostly on my experience with my Fuji S2, shooting at 1600 a
    fair amount).

    It's also worth looking into the GEM plug-in from Applied Science
    Fiction, or perhaps NeatImage, to reduce grain or noise in low-light
    pictures.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 29, 2003
  6. someone

    someone Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:06:28 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> posted:

    > I suggest you should be ready to answer a lot of questions taking photos
    >of airports.

    I had the opportunity to take some photos recently as I was sending some
    people off. it was challenging taking photos there. however, nobody asked
    me any questions. I guess you just have to be part of the group sending
    people off then it is ok.

    someone, Aug 29, 2003
  7. someone

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Lionel <> wrote:

    >Yes, depending on your definition of 'acceptable', & how steady your
    >hands are. I have no trouble getting good pix with my 10D under those
    >conditions. In fact, with good indoor lighting like that, I'd expect to
    >be able to shoot at ISO 800 or maybe 400.

    A week after I phone-ordered my 10D from B&H, I went in person to buy my
    first lens; a 50mm f1.4. I tried it on the store's 10D, which was set
    to ISO 800. I set the camera to Av mode, at f1.4, and the shutter speed
    selected by the camera was 1/1000s. "Indoors" can be quite bright!
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Aug 30, 2003
  8. someone

    someone Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:21:32 GMT, posted:

    >In message <>,
    >Lionel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, depending on your definition of 'acceptable', & how steady your
    >>hands are. I have no trouble getting good pix with my 10D under those
    >>conditions. In fact, with good indoor lighting like that, I'd expect to
    >>be able to shoot at ISO 800 or maybe 400.

    >A week after I phone-ordered my 10D from B&H, I went in person to buy my
    >first lens; a 50mm f1.4. I tried it on the store's 10D, which was set
    >to ISO 800. I set the camera to Av mode, at f1.4, and the shutter speed
    >selected by the camera was 1/1000s. "Indoors" can be quite bright!

    wow, I must get that. was that a normal room, or was it very bright?

    someone, Aug 30, 2003