    drive for security reasons. I am more of the disposition of wiping
    with a low level format (rewritting the drive with all zeros). Would
    software such as KillDisk or Boot n' Nuke be a better option?

    cizzo, Jul 10, 2007

  2. cizzo

    cizzo Guest

    On Jul 10, 1:44 pm, cizzo <> wrote:
    > Just curious what people's thoughts were as to the best way to wipe a
    > drive for security reasons. I am more of the disposition of wiping
    > with a low level format (rewritting the drive with all zeros). Would
    > software such as KillDisk or Boot n' Nuke be a better option?

    This is probably not a very good question on my part =)
    Running Boot n' Nuke just now the "low level format" is specified as
    Quick Erase good for getting rid of errors and for redeployment in the
    same organization. If the disk needs to be disposed of I suppose the
    DoD (Department of Defense) standard would be better suited for the
    task.

    cizzo, Jul 10, 2007

  3. cizzo <> wrote in

    > Just curious what people's thoughts were as to the best way to wipe a
    > drive for security reasons. I am more of the disposition of wiping
    > with a low level format (rewritting the drive with all zeros). Would
    > software such as KillDisk or Boot n' Nuke be a better option?

    Try the freeware "Eraser". It comes with instructions to create a boot
    disk which will completely wipe a hard drive.

    <http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jul 10, 2007
  4. cizzo aka on 7/10/2007 at 3:44:13 PM in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk<.
    com> after much thought,came up with this jewel:

    > Just curious what people's thoughts were as to the best way to wipe a
    > drive for security reasons. I am more of the disposition of wiping
    > with a low level format (rewritting the drive with all zeros). Would
    > software such as KillDisk or Boot n' Nuke be a better option?

    a 10 pound hammer works the best(use outdoors).

    max
    --
    My Pages:
    Virus Removal Instructions:

    Maximus the Mad, Jul 10, 2007
  5. cizzo

    Vanguard Guest

    www.killdisk.com

    Vanguard, Jul 11, 2007
  6. cizzo

    thanatoid Guest

    "Maximus the Mad" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    max
    --
    My Pages:
    Virus Removal Instructions:
    http://www.freespaces.com/maxwachtel/removal.html
    Keeping Windows Clean:
    http://www.freespaces.com/maxwachtel/keepingclean.html
    Tools: http://www.freespaces.com/maxwachtel/tools.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply.
    nomail.afraid.org is
    specifically setup for USENET.Feel free to use it yourself.
    Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
    "VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems:
    Viruses,
    Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler
    Registered Linux User #393236

    I have been calling Vista "Vast Infinite Spyware Trojan
    Assortment" for some time now. Wonder how many others there are?

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

    thanatoid, Jul 11, 2007
  7. cizzo

    Alfred Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:44:13 -0700, cizzo <> wrote:

    >Just curious what people's thoughts were as to the best way to wipe a
    >drive for security reasons. I am more of the disposition of wiping
    >with a low level format (rewritting the drive with all zeros). Would
    >software such as KillDisk or Boot n' Nuke be a better option?

    Depends on what is on the disk. If it is just personal stuff and you
    aren't a big time criminal then killdisk is as good as any. If you
    *are* a big time criminal or in the banking business etc. (is there
    any real difference?) then taking the cover off the drive and beating
    the platter with a big hammer is probably the best bet.

    I know of one finance company that has all it's old desktop PCs
    crushed under the eye of their security chief. Can't be too careful

    Alfred, Jul 11, 2007
  8. Alfred wrote:

    > I know of one finance company that has all it's old desktop PCs
    > crushed under the eye of their security chief. Can't be too careful

    Crushed? That's not good. They're shredded in most security situations.
    Never can tell when the NSA will break out a scanning electron
    microscope and try to read each magnetic spot on a broken platter.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007
  9. cizzo

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:03:02 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Alfred wrote:
    >
    >> I know of one finance company that has all it's old desktop PCs
    >> crushed under the eye of their security chief. Can't be too careful

    >Crushed? That's not good. They're shredded in most security situations.
    >Never can tell when the NSA will break out a scanning electron
    >microscope and try to read each magnetic spot on a broken platter.

    This was a few years ago. They took them to a quarry and ran them
    through a stone crusher. That's the box with everything in. I doubt
    whether there would be anything big enought to be identified.

    Wonder what they will do now with the new WEEE regulations.

    Alfred, Jul 11, 2007
  10. Alfred wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:03:02 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Alfred wrote:
    >>

    >>>I know of one finance company that has all it's old desktop PCs
    >>>crushed under the eye of their security chief. Can't be too careful

    >>Crushed? That's not good. They're shredded in most security situations.
    >>Never can tell when the NSA will break out a scanning electron
    >>microscope and try to read each magnetic spot on a broken platter.

    > This was a few years ago. They took them to a quarry and ran them
    > through a stone crusher. That's the box with everything in. I doubt
    > whether there would be anything big enought to be identified.
    >
    > Wonder what they will do now with the new WEEE regulations.

    Don't know about the UK, but given the Department of Homeland Security's
    track record so far, you could probably hand them printouts of
    everything on the drive and they wouldn't be able to parse it. But if
    you got a blowjob from an intern, they'd spend millions, billions on
    getting to the bottom of it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007
  11. cizzo

    Plato Guest

    cizzo wrote:

    > Just curious what people's thoughts were as to the best way to wipe a
    > drive for security reasons. I am more of the disposition of wiping
    > with a low level format (rewritting the drive with all zeros). Would
    > software such as KillDisk or Boot n' Nuke be a better option?

    You can get zero fill utilities for free. Just search for then and use
    them. No need to pay for one. If you are really worried, just run the
    free one several times.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 12, 2007
  12. cizzo

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:47:08 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Alfred wrote:

    >>>Crushed? That's not good. They're shredded in most security situations.
    >>>Never can tell when the NSA will break out a scanning electron
    >>>microscope and try to read each magnetic spot on a broken platter.

    >> This was a few years ago. They took them to a quarry and ran them
    >> through a stone crusher. That's the box with everything in. I doubt
    >> whether there would be anything big enought to be identified.
    >>
    >> Wonder what they will do now with the new WEEE regulations.

    >Don't know about the UK, but given the Department of Homeland Security's
    >track record so far, you could probably hand them printouts of
    >everything on the drive and they wouldn't be able to parse it. But if
    >you got a blowjob from an intern, they'd spend millions, billions on
    >getting to the bottom of it.

    And if it was back in the days of Hoover they wouldn't tell anyone
    just use it for blackmail

    Alfred, Jul 12, 2007
  13. Alfred wrote:

    > And if it was back in the days of Hoover they wouldn't tell anyone
    > just use it for blackmail

    But you have to admit, he was cute in a tutu.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 12, 2007
  14. cizzo

    Alfred Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:38:10 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Alfred wrote:
    >
    >> And if it was back in the days of Hoover they wouldn't tell anyone
    >> just use it for blackmail

    >But you have to admit, he was cute in a tutu.

    I've never seen a pic of J Edgar in a tutu.

    Is that when he's bent over his desk?

    Alfred, Jul 12, 2007
  15. Alfred wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:38:10 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Alfred wrote:
    >>

    >>>And if it was back in the days of Hoover they wouldn't tell anyone
    >>>just use it for blackmail

    >>But you have to admit, he was cute in a tutu.

    > I've never seen a pic of J Edgar in a tutu.
    >
    > Is that when he's bent over his desk?

    Having trouble with an online pic of him dressed as such. But here's him
    and Shirley Temple when she was 8 years old:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/vivienne/438/rants125hoovertemple12.jpg
    There is this one pic of him in a tutu, not sure if it's a fraud or not:
    http://www.megustasermuygay.com.ar/noticias/38/marilyn tutu.jpg

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 12, 2007