    diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
    write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
    is only at 7%. Is this normal?

    Chu-Chu, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Chu-Chu

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Chu-Chu <> wrote in news:marymary105-
    -nyc.rr.com:

    > I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
    > hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.

    You are not low level formatting, you are simply writing zeros. The drive
    is dead, get an RMA or bin it.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Chu-Chu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Chu-Chu" <> wrote in message
    >| HP Pavilion
    >| 40 GB Hitachi HD
    >| WinXP
    >|
    >| I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format
    >| of my hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the
    >| S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O
    >| and delayed write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours
    >| and the progress is only at 7%. Is this normal?

    The ONLY utilities you should use on your hard disk would be those written
    by the hard disk manufacturer. (For Maxtor drives, go to Maxtor's website,
    for Western Digital, go to their website, etc.) There may be enough
    differences in the hardware to cause more problems.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Chu-Chu

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:13:28 GMT, Chu-Chu <> wrote:

    >HP Pavilion
    >40 GB Hitachi HD
    >WinXP
    >
    >I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
    >hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
    >diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
    >write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
    >is only at 7%. Is this normal?

    You can't low level format your hard drive.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Chu-Chu

    GoGeta Guest

    if your getting weird errors...time to backup what you can and buy a new
    drive..cause its probably going to die

    GoGeta, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Chu-Chu

    Mekius_ Guest

    GoGeta wrote:
    > if your getting weird errors...time to backup what you can and buy a new
    > drive..cause its probably going to die
    > "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:13:28 GMT, Chu-Chu <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>HP Pavilion
    >>>40 GB Hitachi HD
    >>>WinXP
    >>>
    >>>I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
    >>>hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
    >>>diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
    >>>write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
    >>>is only at 7%. Is this normal?

    >>You can't low level format your hard drive.
    >>

    >>-Barry
    >>========
    >>Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    >>Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

    Many people get confused about what a low-level format is. Only the
    maker of the drive can low-level format. What he is probably doing is
    writing 0's to the drive which wont fix hardware related problems.

    Mekius_, Jul 22, 2004