low lag P & S digi-cam?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bugbear, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    My GF would like a new camera.

    Sadly, she's tried and HATED my Canon a510, because
    of the shutter lag.

    Her current camera has zero lag, mainly because
    it's old, and doesn't have autofocus.

    http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/35RC.html

    (heh - nice camera, actually, but it's broken
    and the repair is not even close to economic).

    The "obvious" solution to lag in a digi-cam
    is SLR, but she certainly doesn't want
    the size and/or weight of one of those.

    So (since the review sites aren't searchable
    on shutter lag) can anyone recommend
    a compact P&S digital camera
    with low lag?

    BugBear
    bugbear, Jan 2, 2007

  2. bugbear

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Have a look at the Ricoh Caplio GX8, it is now discontinued but should still
    be available at some retailers. Has really fast autofocus, manual focus
    option and very fast shutter response, optical viewfinder, small (1,8"
    display) and external hot shoe.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 2, 2007

  3. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Cgiorgio wrote:
    > Have a look at the Ricoh Caplio GX8, it is now discontinued but should still
    > be available at some retailers. Has really fast autofocus, manual focus
    > option and very fast shutter response, optical viewfinder, small (1,8"
    > display) and external hot shoe.

    Physically slightly larger than I'd hoped for,
    but otherwise excellent - good suggestion,
    thanks.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Jan 2, 2007
  4. bugbear

    Ron Hunter Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > My GF would like a new camera.
    >
    > Sadly, she's tried and HATED my Canon a510, because
    > of the shutter lag.
    >
    > Her current camera has zero lag, mainly because
    > it's old, and doesn't have autofocus.
    >
    > http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/35RC.html
    >
    > (heh - nice camera, actually, but it's broken
    > and the repair is not even close to economic).
    >
    > The "obvious" solution to lag in a digi-cam
    > is SLR, but she certainly doesn't want
    > the size and/or weight of one of those.
    >
    > So (since the review sites aren't searchable
    > on shutter lag) can anyone recommend
    > a compact P&S digital camera
    > with low lag?
    >
    > BugBear

    If you buy one with no focus (fixed focus), it will have minimal shutter
    lag, and mediocre pictures.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2007
  5. bugbear

    Guest

    , Jan 2, 2007
  6. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    >>So (since the review sites aren't searchable
    >>on shutter lag) can anyone recommend
    >>a compact P&S digital camera
    >>with low lag?
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > Who said they weren't searchable?
    >
    > http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm

    Heh. The ones I *knew* about aren't ;-)

    Apparently there's no "standard" spec for
    even measuring shutter lag, so manufacturer's
    figure need to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

    But these "major" site aren't searchable (for lag)
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/

    BugBear