    My d drive is very large and all my programs on it.
    What's taking so much space? I did all cleaning.
    Thanks for any help
    dfederic, Mar 20, 2005

  2. dfederic

    Jerry G. Guest

    You don't make much sense. First you say your drive is very large. Then you
    say you have only 15 gb. By today's standards, a 15 gb drive is very small!

    You should be able to explore your drive and see what you have on it. Also
    check your cache and tmp files. You can use the cleanup utility that is part
    of your operating system.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    I have only have winxp and all the updates on my c drive of 15gb.
    Jerry G., Mar 20, 2005

  3. "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > You don't make much sense. First you say your drive is very large. Then

    you
    > say you have only 15 gb. By today's standards, a 15 gb drive is very

    small!

    > You should be able to explore your drive and see what you have on it. Also
    > check your cache and tmp files. You can use the cleanup utility that is

    part
    > of your operating system.
    >
    > --

    Another thing to check is the amount of space you have allocated to SYSTEM
    RESTORE as this can double the amount of disk space that is used I:E..your
    system tells you that 14.6GB is used on your hard drive...what it dont tell
    you is that half of it is used by system backup...
    www.bigun.serverbox.org, Mar 20, 2005
  4. dfederic

    Martik Guest

    Download treesize to analyse space used for each folder including system and
    hidden. XP should easily fit under 5GB with updates, pagefile and hiberfile.
    Martik, Mar 20, 2005
  5. dfederic

    Keme Guest

    dfederic wrote:
    > I have only have winxp and all the updates on my c drive of 15gb.
    > My d drive is very large and all my programs on it.
    > What's taking so much space? I did all cleaning.
    > Thanks for any help

    Some programs insist on installing at least partially on system drive
    (C: drive on most computers). Check your folders to see which are using
    the most space. (Right click folder and select "properties").

    If it is "Program files", you probably have installed something there
    after all.

    If it is "Documents and settings" you have either forgotten to move "My
    documents" to D:, or you have a "free" program with banner ads, caching
    its ad info in your user folder inside "Docs & settings"

    If it is Windows (using more than 7-8 GB) you probably have many restore
    points. You could try deleting all restore points.

    Then again, you may have a virus. Do you have an updated virus checker
    (sorry! I just had to ask.)
    Keme, Mar 28, 2005