    Thanks for you help

    --
    Sahil

    Sahil Akhlaq, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Sahil Akhlaq

    Herman Guest

    "Sahil Akhlaq" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I was hoping some one in here could recommend a fixed line telephone
    > provider that has cheap (or free, but this probably unlikely) line
    > rental.
    >
    > I have just started using voip for my calls (via voip.co.uk) and no
    > longer use my land line. I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
    > which I still want plugged into my land line (as I'm still not to
    > confident about the reliability of my Internet connection).
    >
    > If possible I want to switch my phone line to some one with lower line
    > rental even if it means having to pay more for the phone calls (only
    > calls via the line will be from the burglar alarm, which so far has
    > only gone off the once in the last 18 months).
    >
    > Thanks for you help
    >
    > --
    > Sahil

    I presume you must be with VirginMedia for BB if you have no landline. If
    you are outside of your minimum term, you could phone up their retentions
    team and ask to cancel service. I quoted an Orange offer and they (sort of)
    matched it by giving me 10mb bb + landline + 24hr inclusive calls for £20
    pcm.

    Herman, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Sahil Akhlaq

    Sahil Akhlaq Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:45:51 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >> Sahil

    >I presume you must be with VirginMedia for BB if you have no landline. If
    >you are outside of your minimum term, you could phone up their retentions
    >team and ask to cancel service. I quoted an Orange offer and they (sort of)
    >matched it by giving me 10mb bb + landline + 24hr inclusive calls for £20
    >pcm.

    My land line is currently with talktalk but since I now use either
    voip or my mobile for my calls I thought I could maybe find a phone
    provider very cheap line rental I could keep my burglar alarm plugged
    in to that.

    I currently only have my broadband connection from virginmedia but
    will give them a call as I'm paying £27 pounds for my Internet
    connection so if I can save £7 pounds and get a phone line thrown in
    to that'll be a bonus.

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    Sahil

    Sahil Akhlaq, Mar 21, 2007
  4. "Sahil Akhlaq" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:45:51 GMT, "Herman"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Sahil

    >>I presume you must be with VirginMedia for BB if you have no landline. If
    >>you are outside of your minimum term, you could phone up their retentions
    >>team and ask to cancel service. I quoted an Orange offer and they (sort
    >>of)
    >>matched it by giving me 10mb bb + landline + 24hr inclusive calls for £20
    >>pcm.
    >>

    > My land line is currently with talktalk but since I now use either
    > voip or my mobile for my calls I thought I could maybe find a phone
    > provider very cheap line rental I could keep my burglar alarm plugged
    > in to that.

    But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 21, 2007
  5. Sahil Akhlaq

    Sahil Akhlaq Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:30:01 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

    Internet connection is with Virginmedia

    --
    Sahil

    Sahil Akhlaq, Mar 21, 2007
  6. Sahil Akhlaq

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 21 Mar 2007, Sahil Akhlaq <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

    >>But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

    >Internet connection is with Virginmedia

    RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
    there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
    phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
    action of cutting the wire).

    I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
    to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
    post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
    I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
    only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).

    ITplc (www.itplc.com) might do lower cost line rental, though it may not
    be ideal (an annual contract, and was only a small amount cheaper that
    BT). With any one of these 'third party' firms a faults need to be
    reported first to your phone service firm, which will contact BT
    (Openreach), so there may be a delay getting any fault fixed

    NoNeedToKnow, Mar 21, 2007
  7. Sahil Akhlaq

    Sahil Akhlaq Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:18:12 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
    <> wrote:

    >On 21 Mar 2007, Sahil Akhlaq <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

    >>>But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

    >>Internet connection is with Virginmedia

    >RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
    >there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
    >phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
    >action of cutting the wire).
    >
    >I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
    >to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
    >post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
    >I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
    >only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).

    Now I understand. My Burglar alarm is not the monitored type, instead
    it's got a automated dialer inside the house which rings 3
    pre-programmed telephone numbers with a recorded message. so there is
    no redcare service involved. I also don't use adsl. I have cable
    Internet with virginmedia.

    I'm going to try getting the deal Herman mentioned earlier from
    virginmedia.

    --
    Sahil

    Sahil Akhlaq, Mar 21, 2007
  8. Sahil Akhlaq

    Owain Guest

    Sahil Akhlaq wrote:
    > ... I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
    > which I still want plugged into my land line (as I'm still not to
    > confident about the reliability of my Internet connection).

    You could use a "premicell" (fixed cellular terminal) which provides a
    'telephone line' interface for the burglar alarm, but uses a SIM card
    and the mobile phone network.

    Quite a lot of professional alarms use something like this as a backup
    against the phone line being cut - Redcare monitors the line and detects
    the fault, but once the line is cut no further information is available
    from the alarm.

    Owain

    Owain, Mar 21, 2007
  9. Sahil Akhlaq

    Ash Guest

    > ITplc (www.itplc.com) might do lower cost line rental, though it may not
    > be ideal (an annual contract, and was only a small amount cheaper that
    > BT). With any one of these 'third party' firms a faults need to be
    > reported first to your phone service firm, which will contact BT
    > (Openreach), so there may be a delay getting any fault fixed

    There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
    misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
    providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
    faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
    although performance of course does vary across different providers.

    See -
    http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/pro...combined reporting Industry February 07a_.xls

    Ash, Mar 21, 2007
  10. Sahil Akhlaq

    Ash Guest

    On Mar 21, 8:17 pm, Sahil Akhlaq <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:18:12 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >>Internet connection is with Virginmedia

    > >RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
    > >there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
    > >phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
    > >action of cutting the wire).

    > >I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
    > >to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
    > >post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
    > >I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
    > >only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).

    > Now I understand. My Burglar alarm is not the monitored type, instead
    > it's got a automated dialer inside the house which rings 3
    > pre-programmed telephone numbers with a recorded message. so there is
    > no redcare service involved. I also don't use adsl. I have cable
    > Internet with virginmedia.
    >
    > I'm going to try getting the deal Herman mentioned earlier from
    > virginmedia.
    >
    > --
    > Sahil

    You may wish to consider the BT Light User scheme - if you use the
    line very little for calls then you get a discount off your line
    rental.

    Ash, Mar 21, 2007
  11. Sahil Akhlaq

    PhilT Guest

    On Mar 21, 10:12 pm, "Ash" <> wrote:

    > You may wish to consider the BT Light User scheme - if you use the
    > line very little for calls then you get a discount off your line
    > rental.

    not eligible if has broadband or another communications service. The
    LUS is a social subsidy not a usage discount.

    Phil

    PhilT, Mar 21, 2007
  12. Sahil Akhlaq

    bill Guest

    "NoNeedToKnow" <> wrote in message
    > On 21 Mar 2007, Sahil Akhlaq <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

    > >>But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

    > >Internet connection is with Virginmedia

    > RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
    > there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
    > phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
    > action of cutting the wire).
    >
    > I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
    > to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
    > post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
    > I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
    > only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).
    >
    > ITplc (www.itplc.com) might do lower cost line rental, though it may not
    > be ideal (an annual contract, and was only a small amount cheaper that
    > BT). With any one of these 'third party' firms a faults need to be
    > reported first to your phone service firm, which will contact BT
    > (Openreach), so there may be a delay getting any fault fixed

    Noneedtoknow

    Do you know if you can use CPS or prefix service providers with itplc
    resedential line?

    Iain

    bill, Mar 21, 2007
  13. Sahil Akhlaq

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:04:58 UTC, "Ash" <>
    wrote:

    > There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
    > misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
    > providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
    > faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
    > although performance of course does vary across different providers.

    My understanding is that, while the above may well be true, getting the
    other service provider to contact Openreach can take longer - partly
    inefficiency and sometimes delaying tactics. Not that BT Retail are
    blameless, either - but I get great service from them with Totalcare!

    --
    Bob Eager
    begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

    Bob Eager, Mar 21, 2007
  14. Sahil Akhlaq

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:12:36 UTC, "Ash" <>
    wrote:

    > On Mar 21, 8:17 pm, Sahil Akhlaq <> wrote:
    > > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:18:12 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
    > >
    > > <> wrote:

    > > >RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
    > > >there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
    > > >phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
    > > >action of cutting the wire).

    > > >I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
    > > >to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
    > > >post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
    > > >I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
    > > >only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).

    > > Now I understand. My Burglar alarm is not the monitored type, instead
    > > it's got a automated dialer inside the house which rings 3
    > > pre-programmed telephone numbers with a recorded message. so there is
    > > no redcare service involved. I also don't use adsl. I have cable
    > > Internet with virginmedia.
    > >
    > > I'm going to try getting the deal Herman mentioned earlier from
    > > virginmedia.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sahil

    > You may wish to consider the BT Light User scheme - if you use the
    > line very little for calls then you get a discount off your line
    > rental.

    Since he has a mobile (and also VoIP), he doesn't qualify for LUS.

    Bob Eager, Mar 21, 2007
  15. Sahil Akhlaq

    J B Guest

    > I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
    > which I still want plugged into my land line

    Can you plug a burglar alarm into a cheap mobile payg?

    J B, Mar 22, 2007
  16. Sahil Akhlaq

    Ash Guest

    On Mar 21, 11:44 pm, "Bob Eager" <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:04:58 UTC, "Ash" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
    > > misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
    > > providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
    > > faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
    > > although performance of course does vary across different providers.

    > My understanding is that, while the above may well be true, getting the
    > other service provider to contact Openreach can take longer - partly
    > inefficiency and sometimes delaying tactics. Not that BT Retail are
    > blameless, either - but I get great service from them with Totalcare!
    >
    > --
    > Bob Eager
    > begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

    What you say is possible and in some cases true. However it would be
    helpful to recognise that many service providers act quickly and
    provide a faster fault resolution than BT Retail. I come from a
    service provider background and it frustrates me a little that the
    view the BT Retail provide a faster repair service persists, when this
    is not actually the case and statistics published by Openreach prove
    this.

    Ash, Mar 22, 2007
  17. Sahil Akhlaq

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 21 Mar 2007, "bill" <> wrote:

    >Do you know if you can use CPS or prefix service providers with itplc
    >residential line?

    Neither - their T+C state that you cannot use any means to bypass them at
    the exchange. It doesn't block the use of VoIP, so far as I know, but it
    also has some other restrictions, such as being ineligible if aged 60 or
    over (not sure whether they could now be breaking age-limit laws!)

    I did look at using ITplc for my Highway connection some years ago but
    they have since increased their fees (so no longer claim to be half
    price compared with BT monthly fees - they weren't, actually, as the
    fees they compared had BT including VAT and their own, excluding VAT).

    NoNeedToKnow, Mar 22, 2007
  18. Sahil Akhlaq

    Jono Guest

    Ash wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 11:44 pm, "Bob Eager" <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:04:58 UTC, "Ash" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
    >>> misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
    >>> providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
    >>> faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
    >>> although performance of course does vary across different providers.

    >> My understanding is that, while the above may well be true, getting the
    >> other service provider to contact Openreach can take longer - partly
    >> inefficiency and sometimes delaying tactics. Not that BT Retail are
    >> blameless, either - but I get great service from them with Totalcare!

    > What you say is possible and in some cases true. However it would be
    > helpful to recognise that many service providers act quickly and
    > provide a faster fault resolution than BT Retail. I come from a
    > service provider background and it frustrates me a little that the
    > view the BT Retail provide a faster repair service persists, when this
    > is not actually the case and statistics published by Openreach prove
    > this.

    Hear hear! I raised a fault a 5:15pm on EcoRepair on Tuesday evening.
    8am Wednesday asked for an update. Was told engineer would attend on
    Friday. Rang a contact at Openreach who escalated it at 9:01am
    Wednesday. Engineer on site at 9:35am Wednesday. Fault fixed.

    This customer had had an Engineer out the previous week, arranged
    through their ISP - BT - who actually made the fault worse - they came
    to me after BT fobbed him off & had refused to raise another fault.
    Being his lines provider, and because the previous engineer had left the
    site the week before having created a voice fault, I was able to
    progress it. Hopefully, he won't suffer TRCs. If he does, I'll not pass
    them on to him......

    Jono, Mar 22, 2007
  19. Sahil Akhlaq

    Jono Guest

    J B wrote :
    > "Sahil Akhlaq" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
    >> which I still want plugged into my land line

    > Can you plug a burglar alarm into a cheap mobile payg?

    You could certainly plug one in to a premicell which has a cheap PAYG
    sim in it.......not sure I'd trust it to alarm use, though - what if
    you forgot to check top-up status?

    Jono, Mar 22, 2007