    side of the nose. Yuck!

    Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?

    dave
    Bay Area Dave, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Bay Area Dave

    jriegle Guest

    Re: Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July edition just out

    I have not seen this yet, but I wouldn't judge the camera's capability from
    magazine print. I've seen two page spreads that one side was a different hue
    because these were printed at different times before the separate pages are
    bound into a 'zine.
    John

    jriegle, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Re: Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July edition just out

    In article <Vd2yc.202$>, Bay Area Dave
    <> wrote:

    > Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
    > face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
    > image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
    > had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
    > blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
    > area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
    > above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
    > up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
    > darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
    > the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
    > side of the nose. Yuck!

    I've seen this picture in other ads of theirs somewhere. Besides being
    a mediocre portrait, the skin tone is...uh...not right. Maybe they
    were trying to be artistic?
    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Re: Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July edition just out

    Bay Area Dave <> wrote in message news:<Vd2yc.202$>...
    > Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
    > face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
    > image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
    > had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
    > blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
    > area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
    > above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
    > up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
    > darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
    > the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
    > side of the nose. Yuck!
    >
    > Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?

    Is it this one?
    http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/original

    Sigma hired these shots for ads. I think that one is blurry when
    compared to what the camera routinely turns in.
    George Preddy, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Re: Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July edition just out

    In article <>, George
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/original

    Nope, it's a different one. But the one above sucks too.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Re: Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July edition just out

    That's the ©2003 Visko Hatfield stolen by Imageprocessing, who then colour
    corrected the trademarked yellow Sigma skintones?
    Pbase image: http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/large
    Foveon Sample: http://www.foveon.com/X3_images_7.html note on the page
    "©2003 Visko Hatfield"

    Darrell Larose, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Bay Area Dave

    Guest

    Re: Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the July edition just out

    where are your pics gp

    On 11 Jun 2004 03:16:16 -0700, (George Preddy)
    wrote:

    >Bay Area Dave <> wrote in message news:<Vd2yc.202$>...
    >> Page 35 shows a nearly full-page photo of a close-up of a
    >> face which should be a major embarrassment to Sigma. The
    >> image has lousy color, and what's worse, it looks like it
    >> had posterization applied! No continuous tones. just
    >> blotches of color. check out the bridge of the nose and the
    >> area above the cheeks. then look at the the areas just
    >> above the nostrils. there are basically 3 colors that make
    >> up the nose. it looks like two colors define the cheeks. a
    >> darker area below the eyes and the same color shows up below
    >> the blotchy area of lightness that wraps around the left
    >> side of the nose. Yuck!
    >>
    >> Is this poor photo the fault of the printer or the camera?

    >Is it this one?
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/27818545/original
    >
    >Sigma hired these shots for ads. I think that one is blurry when
    >compared to what the camera routinely turns in.
    , Jun 11, 2004
  8. Re: Lousy picture touting SD10 in Popular Photography in the Julyedition just out

    nope. it's a picture of an androgeous(sp?) person. and it
    is fairly sharp. it's blotchiness that is so apparent.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Jun 11, 2004