Lousy Canon Repair Service!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by FOR7b, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. FOR7b

    FOR7b Guest

    Below is a post I made to the comp.periphs.scanners group and I thought I'd
    share my experience
    with those contemplating purchasing a Canon camera. In my case below it is a
    Canon FS4000 film
    scanner. The repair faciltiy where they fix the scamnner also handles camera
    repairs so I thought
    it may be useful or interesting to know the lousy service they may have to go
    through to get repairs
    done with Canon.

    Hello everyone,

    I posted a couple of months back about a problem with lines being
    visible in my scans with my Canoscan FS4000 in the and little did I know that
    that
    would be the start of a nightmare still ongoing. They have attempted 2 previous
    times to repair the scanner with no success, to the extent it made me wonder if
    they even really gave it a look over since the problem is so obvious.
    The second time back from repair they even included a cheap low quality
    inkjet print supposedly showing that there was no problem with the scanner.
    The print looked as if it was made from a sub megapixel camera with
    extremely obvious jpeg artifacts and a subject sure to hide any flaws. They
    also recommended I check my printer. Gee what an idea! They recommend I check
    my printer and yet the sample scan files I sent them on a CD clearly showed the
    lines.
    I sent back the scanner, for now the third time, and a letter on their picture
    asking why on earth they were sending me a cheap inkjet print made from an
    obviously small file that could hide any flaw and also when the samples scan
    files
    I gave them already now three times clearly shows the problem. No comment on
    their part.
    If you are considering buying a Canon scanner I would seriously
    reconsider that decision. Below are my reasons and my experience.

    * Good luck getting through to them! Up to a 45 minute phone
    wait, if you can get through at all.
    * No 800 number and I have already called over ten times! Very
    unprofessional! Very expensive!
    * You are given the option of leaving a message and they will supposedly get
    back to you. Yeah right! I have left two pleading messages that were not rude
    in any way that it should deter them from answering me. I was also promised by
    two employees, including a supervisor that they would get in touch with me
    soon. No replies for a total of 4 times that they have not replied to me in the
    three
    weeks that I last talked to them!!
    * Their technicians appear to be clueless when it comes to the basics of
    troubleshooting. The example of them furnishing me cheap prints done with lousy
    low resolution scans from a slide when my scanning was done with negatives and
    the fact that I already furnished sample scans with the problem clearly
    evident.
    * Scanner was returned after the first repair attempt in a box not
    significantly larger than the scanner's box with a few sheets of paper as
    packing!!
    * They give little detail on the specifics of the repair. Who knows what they
    really have done. Very unprofessional considering I have already paid $255 for
    non-warranty repair work that has not even repaired the scanner.
    * I have found at least two other people with the same scanner having the same
    problem but to Canon's tech support, not the repair center I am speaking about
    primarily, they have never heard of that happening. Yet I easily found the
    other examples in a simple Google search.
    * You can't even speak to a repair tech. They go speak to them for you! This
    even after the scanner being
    sent back for the third time.

    * *Added on as of today Friday Sep 05. I got a hold of Canon customer
    relations, which is supposedly
    the last resort for those getting lousy service and the lady was nice and she
    said she would contact
    them today and either they or her would get in touch with me "today" and once
    again nothing!
    This was just after I called the repair facility once again and was put on hold
    for second time to the point
    where I was cut off. Apparently when their reps seem overwhelmed with the
    difficult task such as getting
    the status on a repair they put you into limbo until you are cut off and have
    to call back and wait again up
    to 45minutes!! They have done it twice already.
    Finally the operator at the corporate headquarters in Long Island New York was
    very rude because I asked
    her to repeat the number for customer relations!
    It's like being in the twilight zone with these people. I'm already at the
    point where I may have to go to small claims
    court to get back my scanner back!

    Those are the most glaring reasons. I have been
    "extremely patient," their words not mine, and I can understand imperfections
    to any system, tech support, customer services, etc in any company but my
    experience has been beyond belief! I certainly do not like speaking badly of
    any company because of one or two bad experiences but this kind of service
    needs to be mentioned to those considering getting a Canon scanner. They also
    do their camera repairs there too so one should consider that if contimplating
    buying a Canon digital or traditional camera.
    I have now sent the scanner back to them 3 times in an over 2 month period
    and still no reply from them for the latest attempt! 4 times they have not
    replied back to my requests for info and status of the scanner repair! I
    already stated to them that at this point "don't you think the wise thing to do
    is swap out the scanner?!" So at this point I am still waiting, have paid $255
    for out of warranty repairs and probably over $100 in phone calls!

    Shame on you Canon!!!

    FOR7b, Sep 5, 2003

  2. FOR7b

    Dave Watson Guest

    Wow - this info is great. Anyone else have any service stories?

    Dave Watson, Sep 6, 2003

  3. FOR7b

    Bill Guest

    I had visible lines in my scans (Polariod) which disappeared after
    cleaning the fluorescent tube

    Bill

    Bill, Sep 6, 2003
  4. FOR7b

    FOR7b Guest

    >I had visible lines in my scans (Polariod) which disappeared after
    >cleaning the fluorescent tube
    >
    >Bill

    Yeah, cleaning did nothing for mine. The first repair attempt they supposedly
    replaced the more important internal scanning assemby unit (sorry don't have
    the repair order at this PC location to give the specific nomenclature of the
    part they replaced) and yet when I received it the lines were exactly the same
    and in exactly the same places as before. One wide easilly visible line and
    many smaller ones all across the frame. It made me wonder if they really
    replaced anything. The second time they received the scanner they simply tried
    to reproduce the lines and said they didn't see any. This of course was when
    they were troubleshooting with slides after I already told them my scanning is
    done solely with negatives and then provided that stupid low resolution inkjet
    print to show everything was ok with a subject that of course would hide any
    flaws. Of course they told me to check my printer too! :) I have already told
    them to scan scenes such as skies and subjects with large areas of minimal
    colors. I have also told them to scan a blank negative frame and you'll easily
    see the problem. Somewhere along the way they ignore what you tell them. Their
    troubleshooting is the pits. I think their experience is limited with film
    scanners, and digital photography as a whole because one gets the impression
    that they are learning the scanner as they go along.The lines sadly are easily
    visible when prints are made on an Eposn 1270 or on a traditional print either
    through a Fuji Frontier or Noritsu. Other than that the scanner works fine :)

    Thanks for the input.

    FOR7b, Sep 7, 2003