    well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!

    Thanks
    , Sep 25, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi folks
    >
    > My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
    > and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
    > understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
    > ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
    > it in for repairs (£180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)
    >
    > It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
    > well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!
    >
    > Thanks

    I bought a noisy laptop. Sold it on telling the buyer I had issues with
    it being too noisy for me. Didn't bother him!!

    a friend had a toshiba sattelite which was fairly quiet. And maybe
    some of the "ultra portable"/ultraportable ones are quiet. They have
    another name, I can't remember it. You could look at 'tablet pcs'.

    who cares about top of the range now. they're all quite fast. just get
    a quiet one if then noise bothers you!!
    , Sep 26, 2006

    russell, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Travis Guest

    Who cares about it. You can't fix it unless you get a whole new fan.
    If your really that much of a complainer then give the laptop to me

    Travis, Sep 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    Wow - thanks for the totally unhelpful remarks guys!

    All I was looking for was some advice on whether it is possible to
    reduce the noise (maybe by purchasing another fan or applying thermal
    compound).

    If you have nothing useful to say - DON'T BOTHER!

    Does anyone else have any suggestions?
    , Sep 27, 2006
  6. * Guest

    wrote:
    > Wow - thanks for the totally unhelpful remarks guys!
    >
    > All I was looking for was some advice on whether it is possible to
    > reduce the noise (maybe by purchasing another fan or applying thermal
    > compound).
    >
    > If you have nothing useful to say - DON'T BOTHER!
    >
    > Does anyone else have any suggestions?

    If it's an older laptop, the bearings might be wearing out- this can
    cause a high-pitched whine; also, the fan blades might have stuck-on
    dust, its added weight could be causing extra load on the bearings (out
    of balance a bit as well). You could also clean dust off from around the
    air intake/exhaust vents

    If you can get to the fan, clean it, otherwise buy a new one and fit it?
    *, Sep 28, 2006
  7. russell Guest

    WELL, THIS IS STRANGE. I turned off some icons in my task bar and the fan
    has stopped running! Can anyone explain this happening?
    Thanks, Russell

    russell, Oct 1, 2006
  8. Travis Guest

    GG, it's just a conicendance. It doesn't matter.

    Travis, Oct 1, 2006
  9. russell Guest

    Oh, My. It's back on again.
    Russ

    russell, Oct 3, 2006
  10. russell Guest

    I contacted Sony support today and they told me to reset bios back to
    default. I did this and so far the fan has not come back on.
    Thanks, Russ

    russell, Oct 7, 2006