    Thanks for your input...
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Mar 15, 2008

  2. *alan*

    Mike Easter Guest

    *alan* wrote:
    > It was announced last week that our company will be switching from
    > Outlook to Lotus Notes.

    That's a very complicated subject; MS Exchange/OL vs IBM-Lotus
    Domino/Notes

    >Apparent unanimity of opinion has me convinced
    > that's probably the case. Would folks here agree?

    There are both detractors and supporters of the comparison of Notes vs
    OL.

    Here's a good overview with links to arguments on both sides
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_notes IBM Lotus Notes

    ..... and here's a comparison which includes between your old and your
    new as well as others
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients Comparison of
    e-mail clients

    Notes supports Win, Mac, & Linux, whereas OL is limited to Win. For
    some companies, that would be reason enough to leave one for the other.
    Also Notes is opening up to Open Office whereas MS's application range
    is getting narrower and narrower.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 16, 2008

  3. *alan*

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:56:39 GMT, "*alan*" <> wrote:

    >It was announced last week that our company will be switching from
    >Outlook to Lotus Notes.

    You mean Bloated Goats?

    You have my sympathies.

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Mar 16, 2008
  4. *alan*

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in message
    > It was announced last week that our company will be switching from
    > Outlook to Lotus Notes. I'd never heard of Lotus Notes before, but from
    > reading a few google-found articles, it looks like it's the most
    > un-friendly, un-intuitive, problem-ridden email program that's ever been
    > developed. Apparent unanimity of opinion has me convinced that's probably
    > the case. Would folks here agree?
    > What I'm concerned about, besides what appears to be a really irritating
    > email process, is that curently our department is using Outlook's Public
    > Folders feature to access requests forwarded by web-based applications
    > used by other departments. I couldn't find any comments on how a similar
    > feature in Lotus Notes would work (or *not* work) and was wondering if we
    > should be anticipating disastrous results . . .

    I have used Lotus Notes twice in a company that had it as opposed to
    Outlook. I didn't have a problem in doing so. LN is just as powerful as
    Outlook. You should look at Domino which is a Public folders solution for
    Lotus Notes.

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lotus+notes+public+folders&btnG=Google+Search>

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 16, 2008
  5. *alan*

    nobody > Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:56:39 GMT, "*alan*" <> wrote:
    >
    >> It was announced last week that our company will be switching from
    >> Outlook to Lotus Notes.

    > You mean Bloated Goats?
    >
    > You have my sympathies.

    It could be worse...

    My wurkplace changes out Bloated Goats for Gropewise.

    nobody >, Mar 16, 2008
  6. *alan* wrote:

    > It was announced last week that our company will be switching from
    > Outlook to Lotus Notes. I'd never heard of Lotus Notes before, but from
    > reading a few google-found articles, it looks like it's the most
    > un-friendly, un-intuitive, problem-ridden email program that's ever been
    > developed. Apparent unanimity of opinion has me convinced that's probably
    > the case. Would folks here agree?

    At w0rkplace we have been using it for 7 years up to now, with *nix boxen as
    (replicating) servers. Not just for mail, the program can do a lot more -
    you can have teamrooms for placing/distributing group documents which may
    be the substitute for Outlooks folders, integrated instant messaging if
    required, and 3rd party workflow/synchronizing solutions for
    phones/cellphones/blackberries may be integrated as well.

    Now, of course, the client is a big fat java-addicted dog. It can be
    customized to look rather similar to Outlook, but totally different as
    well. You can have mails "on server" or replicated to a local database
    which seems to be rather robust and allows offline work.
    There is also web access with somehow limited functions.

    > What I'm concerned about, besides what appears to be a really irritating
    > email process, is that curently our department is using Outlook's Public
    > Folders feature to access requests forwarded by web-based applications
    > used
    > by other departments. I couldn't find any comments on how a similar
    > feature in Lotus Notes would work (or *not* work) and was wondering if we
    > should be anticipating disastrous results . . .
    > Thanks for your input...

    Notes Teamrooms would fit here. May need some gluework to interface the web
    applications, however.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 16, 2008
  7. *alan*

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:54:10 -0700, "nobody >" <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:56:39 GMT, "*alan*" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It was announced last week that our company will be switching from
    >>> Outlook to Lotus Notes.

    >> You mean Bloated Goats?
    >>
    >> You have my sympathies.
    >>

    >It could be worse...
    >
    >My wurkplace changes out Bloated Goats for Gropewise.

    Or Orrible.

    Mara, Mar 16, 2008
  8. *alan*

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:56:39 GMT, *alan* wrote:

    >It was announced last week that our company will be switching from
    >Outlook to Lotus Notes. I'd never heard of Lotus Notes before, but from
    >reading a few google-found articles, it looks like it's the most
    >un-friendly, un-intuitive, problem-ridden email program that's ever been

    Does have it's moments, the company I worked in was OL, then outsourced
    to a Notes using company. Must say don't like either. However have to
    use both everyday. What you will need if notes or windows crashes is
    zapnotes. It clears out ini files left open :)

    Sandbox - ZapNotes 3.4
    Just run ZapNotes and allow it to clean up what Notes left behind so you
    can restart Lotus Notes. ZapNotes works on Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP. ...
    http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/sandbox.nsf/0/8aa14311cb0c51c388256aa400804e4e
    - 41k - Cached - Similar pages

    >developed. Apparent unanimity of opinion has me convinced that's probably
    >the case. Would folks here agree?

    If it's setup well it can be very good, databases, calendar, shared
    data. Really depends if it configured by experts or just oh it's easy I
    read the manual.

    >What I'm concerned about, besides what appears to be a really irritating
    >email process, is that curently our department is using Outlook's Public
    >Folders feature to access requests forwarded by web-based applications used

    Domino
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotus/notesanddomino/

    <snip>

    Me