LOTR Two Towers special edition

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stephen Rogerson, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
    doing something wrong?
    Stephen Rogerson, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Stephen Rogerson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
    > doing something wrong?

    If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
    actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
    nobody bothers to answer you.
    Dogger the Filmgoblin, Jan 30, 2004

  3. On 30 Jan 2004 00:26:30 -0800, (Dogger the
    Filmgoblin) wrote:

    >Stephen Rogerson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
    >> doing something wrong?

    >If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
    >actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
    >nobody bothers to answer you.

    OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
    features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
    the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
    discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
    the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem
    Stephen Rogerson, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Stephen Rogerson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 30 Jan 2004 00:26:30 -0800, (Dogger the
    > Filmgoblin) wrote:
    >
    > >Stephen Rogerson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >> Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
    > >> doing something wrong?

    > >If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
    > >actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
    > >nobody bothers to answer you.

    > OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
    > features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
    > the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
    > discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
    > the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem

    You're doing it right. Clearly the commentary has been selected if the
    names come up. Can't explain why it isn't audible. Mine works fine on
    a very cheap player. Does this happen only for the directors
    commentary or for every commentary? Do any other tracks work
    incorrectly (like the foreign language tracks)? Do any alternate
    tracks on any of your other DVDs not work properly?

    Doubt it will make a difference, but you could try just playing the
    movie normally, and then accessing the commentary by the 'backdoor',
    as in press the 'audio' or 'language' button on your DVD remote to
    cycle through the available soundtracks. On my player, this cycling
    via the remote is only enabled if I go directly to 'Play' after
    popping in the disc, without selecting any sound options via the menus
    first.

    HTH.

    DB.
    Dogger the Filmgoblin, Jan 31, 2004
  5. On 31 Jan 2004 03:12:52 -0800, (Dogger the
    Filmgoblin) wrote:

    >Stephen Rogerson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On 30 Jan 2004 00:26:30 -0800, (Dogger the
    >> Filmgoblin) wrote:

    >> >If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
    >> >actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
    >> >nobody bothers to answer you.

    >> OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
    >> features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
    >> the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
    >> discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
    >> the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem

    >You're doing it right. Clearly the commentary has been selected if the
    >names come up. Can't explain why it isn't audible. Mine works fine on
    >a very cheap player. Does this happen only for the directors
    >commentary or for every commentary? Do any other tracks work
    >incorrectly (like the foreign language tracks)? Do any alternate
    >tracks on any of your other DVDs not work properly?
    >
    >Doubt it will make a difference, but you could try just playing the
    >movie normally, and then accessing the commentary by the 'backdoor',
    >as in press the 'audio' or 'language' button on your DVD remote to
    >cycle through the available soundtracks. On my player, this cycling
    >via the remote is only enabled if I go directly to 'Play' after
    >popping in the disc, without selecting any sound options via the menus
    >first.
    >
    >HTH.
    >
    >DB.

    Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
    I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
    commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
    By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.
    Stephen Rogerson, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Stephen Rogerson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 31 Jan 2004 03:12:52 -0800, (Dogger the
    > Filmgoblin) wrote:
    >
    > >Stephen Rogerson <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >> OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
    > >> features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
    > >> the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
    > >> discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
    > >> the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem

    > >You're doing it right. Clearly the commentary has been selected if the
    > >names come up. Can't explain why it isn't audible. Mine works fine on
    > >a very cheap player. Does this happen only for the directors
    > >commentary or for every commentary? Do any other tracks work
    > >incorrectly (like the foreign language tracks)? Do any alternate
    > >tracks on any of your other DVDs not work properly?
    > >
    > >Doubt it will make a difference, but you could try just playing the
    > >movie normally, and then accessing the commentary by the 'backdoor',
    > >as in press the 'audio' or 'language' button on your DVD remote to
    > >cycle through the available soundtracks. On my player, this cycling
    > >via the remote is only enabled if I go directly to 'Play' after
    > >popping in the disc, without selecting any sound options via the menus
    > >first.
    > >
    > >HTH.
    > >
    > >DB.

    > Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
    > I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
    > commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
    > By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.

    The fact that you have swapped your discs once already AND they work
    on your PC, pretty much clinches that what you have is an
    incompatibility problem between your Samsung and the soundtrack on
    your Two Towers (which may well have been manufactured or encoded
    differently than the Fellowship). I guess one could say you're lucky
    it only affects the commentaries, but probably one day it will affect
    something else ... like an alternate Dolby Surround 2.0 track on some
    other DVD. Since most DVDs have their primary track as a 5.1 Dolby
    Digital, like TTT, you may not ever have a problem actually watching a
    movie. If you have 'non-scratched DVDs inexplicably skipping' problems
    as well I wouldn't be surprised.

    DB.
    Dogger the Filmgoblin, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Stephen Rogerson

    thorndike Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
    > I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
    > commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
    > By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.

    You might want to check your audio setup. Its possible that the
    commentaries were put on the center channel and your DVD/audio is
    setup for 5:1, but your system only has 2 channels. Good Luck.

    Thorndike
    thorndike, Feb 3, 2004
  8. thorndike <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
    > > I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
    > > commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
    > > By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.
    > >

    > You might want to check your audio setup. Its possible that the
    > commentaries were put on the center channel and your DVD/audio is
    > setup for 5:1, but your system only has 2 channels. Good Luck.
    >
    > Thorndike

    An interesting theory. But I believe that all the commentaries are 2-channel.

    DB.
    Dogger the Filmgoblin, Feb 6, 2004