"LOTR: Two Towers: EE" Alan Lee's tooth?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The Ghost of Grandpa Hole, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Why doesn't Alan Lee get his tooth fixed?

    Why?

    Hasn't he made enough money from his artwork and his design work on the
    three "Lord of the Rings" films to visit a dentist, even a halfway
    decent one that uses cat tranquilizers?

    Every time they show him in one of the otherwise fine documentaries on
    the Extended Editions of Fellowship, and The Two Towers, I find myself
    cringing and looking away until he's off screen; his voice might not
    sound so menacing and creepy (in a man that walks around the
    neighborhood in a long raincoat with nothing else on underneath even
    though its sunny outside sort of way) if he had a procedure that would
    take no more than an hour to fix.

    Having never met him I can't tell exactly what's wrong with his tooth,
    but it appears that one of his front teeth grew in in the middle of the
    top of his mouth, which creates the appearance of a large gap and thus
    the funny/creepy whistling sound whenever he speaks.

    I urge everyone to write to Alan Lee care of "New Line Cinema" until he
    has the necessary dental work completed.

    Thank you, have a pleasant day, and a better tomorrow.

    Huckleberry Hole
    The Ghost of Grandpa Hole, Nov 29, 2003

  2. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Kathryn Guest

    "The Ghost of Grandpa Hole" <> wrote in message
    > Why doesn't Alan Lee get his tooth fixed?
    >
    > Why?

    He's British and we don't have an obsession with unnaturally perfect teeth?
    Especially those in his generation who didn't have things like braces? At a
    guess anyways

    Kathryn
    Kathryn, Nov 29, 2003

  3. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Wade365 Guest

    << He's British and we don't have an obsession with unnaturally perfect teeth?

    I just see th Simpson's "Big Book of British Smiles" in my head right now.
    Wade365, Nov 29, 2003
  4. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Isildur Guest

    > Why doesn't Alan Lee get his tooth fixed?
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Hasn't he made enough money from his artwork and his design work on the
    > three "Lord of the Rings" films to visit a dentist, even a halfway
    > decent one that uses cat tranquilizers?
    >
    > Every time they show him in one of the otherwise fine documentaries on
    > the Extended Editions of Fellowship, and The Two Towers, I find myself
    > cringing and looking away until he's off screen; his voice might not
    > sound so menacing and creepy (in a man that walks around the
    > neighborhood in a long raincoat with nothing else on underneath even
    > though its sunny outside sort of way) if he had a procedure that would
    > take no more than an hour to fix.
    >
    > Having never met him I can't tell exactly what's wrong with his tooth,
    > but it appears that one of his front teeth grew in in the middle of the
    > top of his mouth, which creates the appearance of a large gap and thus
    > the funny/creepy whistling sound whenever he speaks.
    >
    > I urge everyone to write to Alan Lee care of "New Line Cinema" until he
    > has the necessary dental work completed.

    Personally i don't think he cares, or he'd of done something, i also care
    not, glad of the great Tolkien art he has made though, that i *do* care
    about
    Isildur, Nov 30, 2003
  5. > Personally i don't think he cares, or he'd of done something, i also care
    > not, glad of the great Tolkien art he has made though, that i *do* care
    > about

    Yeah, but John Howe kicks his arse when it comes to LOTR art :)

    Ian.
    Ian Griffiths, Nov 30, 2003
  6. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    rwright Guest

    Hello? The guy is from Great Britian!! 'Nuf said.

    rwright, Nov 30, 2003
  7. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Kathryn Guest

    "rwright" <> wrote in message
    > Hello? The guy is from Great Britian!! 'Nuf said.

    From great Britain and of a certain age thank you very much. Not everyone
    here has bad teeth.

    Kathryn
    Kathryn, Nov 30, 2003
  8. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Jette Goldie Guest

    > Why doesn't Alan Lee get his tooth fixed?
    >
    > Why?

    Why should he?

    --
    Jette
    "Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

    http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    Jette Goldie, Nov 30, 2003
  9. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Wade365 Guest

    << Hello? The guy is from Great Britian!! 'Nuf said. >>

    Is he English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish... there's a difference.
    Wade365, Nov 30, 2003
  10. Jette Goldie wrote:
    > "The Ghost of Grandpa Hole" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Why doesn't Alan Lee get his tooth fixed?
    >>
    >>Why?
    >>

    > Why should he?

    Because Americans are obsessed with insanely white, straight teeth.
    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 30, 2003
  11. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Wade365 Guest

    << Because Americans are obsessed with insanely white, straight teeth. >>

    That's just Brittany, don't mind her... we're not ALL like that!
    Wade365, Nov 30, 2003
  12. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Jette Goldie Guest

    "Tallulah Blanket" <> wrote in message
    > Jette Goldie wrote:
    > > "The Ghost of Grandpa Hole" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Why doesn't Alan Lee get his tooth fixed?
    > >>
    > >>Why?
    > >>

    > > Why should he?
    > >

    > Because Americans are obsessed with insanely white, straight teeth.

    Strange people - that would be why so many American actors
    lack any *personality* in their faces?

    Jette Goldie, Nov 30, 2003
  13. On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:13:17 +0000 (UTC), "Kathryn"
    <> wrote:

    >"rwright" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello? The guy is from Great Britian!! 'Nuf said.
    >>

    >From great Britain and of a certain age thank you very much. Not everyone
    >here has bad teeth.

    You must be the one shining exception in the population of the isles,
    Kathryn. A friend I have who knows some Brits was telling me that
    he'd heard them talk about a BBC news report stating that most Brit
    dentists emigrate to the U.S. (a few emigrate to Canada) because, a)
    the profession pays so much more here; and b) they couldn't get enough
    business back home.

    Cheers,

    Jaime
    Jaime M. de Castellvi, Nov 30, 2003
  14. "Kathryn" <> wrote:

    > "rwright" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello? The guy is from Great Britian!! 'Nuf said.

    > From great Britain and of a certain age thank you very much. Not everyone
    > here has bad teeth.

    Anyway, Americans, citizens of the Country of the Adipose, should not be too
    critical of the physical deficiencies of other nationalities.

    Öjevind
    Öjevind Lång, Nov 30, 2003
  15. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Jette Goldie Guest

    "Jaime M. de Castellvi" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:13:17 +0000 (UTC), "Kathryn"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"rwright" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello? The guy is from Great Britian!! 'Nuf said.
    > >>

    > >From great Britain and of a certain age thank you very much. Not

    everyone
    > >here has bad teeth.

    > You must be the one shining exception in the population of the isles,
    > Kathryn. A friend I have who knows some Brits was telling me that
    > he'd heard them talk about a BBC news report stating that most Brit
    > dentists emigrate to the U.S. (a few emigrate to Canada) because, a)
    > the profession pays so much more here; and b) they couldn't get enough
    > business back home.

    There's a difference, Jaime, between "bad" teeth and teeth
    that haven't had unneccessary cosmetic dentistry.

    Most British folks have good (medically good) teeth, due to
    free dental care in their childhood and the availability of
    affordable NHS dentistry in adulthood. I've had US friends
    complain that they had to wait until their teeth were *rotting*
    so that they could get them removed for free at the local
    ER, because their employer didn't provide a "dental plan"
    and they couldn't afford a dentist on their minimum wages.

    We =don't= , on the whole, go in for things like straightening,
    veneers, chemical or laser tooth whitening. Of course such
    things *are* available, but since they cost a small fortune,
    most of us are not over-keen to bother with them - a good
    bite, no decay and no pain are far more important. We're
    rather canny with our cash, you see.

    Jette Goldie, Nov 30, 2003
  16. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:48:54 GMT, The Ghost of Grandpa Hole wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    > Every time they show him in one of the otherwise fine documentaries on
    > the Extended Editions of Fellowship, and The Two Towers, I find myself
    > cringing and looking away until he's off screen

    Nah, the worst thing in the docos (IMO) is Richard Taylor's voice!

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)
    Codswallop, Nov 30, 2003
  17. On 1 Dec 2003 09:35:45 +1100, Codswallop defied attempts by his/her
    major intestine to leap up and throttle his/her brain to recite:
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:48:54 GMT, The Ghost of Grandpa Hole wrote in
    > alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >> Every time they show him in one of the otherwise fine documentaries on
    >> the Extended Editions of Fellowship, and The Two Towers, I find myself
    >> cringing and looking away until he's off screen

    > Nah, the worst thing in the docos (IMO) is Richard Taylor's voice!

    Worst? I th'nk it's the bust feature! Unless, of course, you want to
    take hum seriously...

    Of course, I'm from Straya so I find it hilariously funny when he talks
    about the Fulm's Spucial Uffucts...

    Martin
    .... who knows people who think that chicken is something you do to
    baggage at an airport

    --
    I know what his secret is. He found a way to end SPAM. It involves
    Lasers, GPS, and Traceroute.
    Grunthos the Flatulent, Dec 1, 2003
  18. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:20:25 GMT, Grunthos the Flatulent wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    >> Nah, the worst thing in the docos (IMO) is Richard Taylor's voice!
    >>

    > Worst? I th'nk it's the bust feature! Unless, of course, you want to
    > take hum seriously...

    He has a few interesting things to say, but the drawling of it is
    unbearable after a while. 10 or 15 minutes is OK, but 45 minutes and I
    start to go nuts... ;)

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)
    Codswallop, Dec 1, 2003
  19. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Justin Guest

    Grunthos the Flatulent wrote on [Mon, 01 Dec 2003 00:00:26 GMT]:
    > Of course, I'm from Straya so I find it hilariously funny when he talks
    > about the Fulm's Spucial Uffucts...

    Wouldn't that be fulum?
    ;)
    Justin, Dec 1, 2003
  20. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Kathryn Guest

    > On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:13:17 +0000 (UTC), "Kathryn"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"rwright" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello? The guy is from Great Britian!! 'Nuf said.
    > >>

    > >From great Britain and of a certain age thank you very much. Not

    everyone
    > >here has bad teeth.

    > You must be the one shining exception in the population of the isles,
    > Kathryn. A friend I have who knows some Brits was telling me that
    > he'd heard them talk about a BBC news report stating that most Brit
    > dentists emigrate to the U.S. (a few emigrate to Canada) because, a)
    > the profession pays so much more here; and b) they couldn't get enough
    > business back home.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jaime

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/3102641.stm

    Perhaps they're solely private dentists? Who charge an arm and a leg if you
    have anything vaguely wrong with your teeth which needs repaired. An
    orthadontist refused to see my brother because he was still entitled to free
    treatment (being under 18 and in higher education). Im fortunate and just
    have to pay the check up fee's.

    Kathryn
    Kathryn, Dec 1, 2003