    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/tech_reporter_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2077623

    Now where is the hype about telecoms virtual directors chair, perhaps
    this so called virtual directors chair is not as portrayed by the adverts.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 3, 2004

  2. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:

    > Slash Dot drew my attention to the following
    >
    > "During the making of the 'Rings' trilogy, Jackson and his crew upped
    > the ante on Apple's innovative iPod storage technology, using it for
    > filmmaking sessions during production on The Two Towers and The Return
    > of the King. Media was transferred from Weta to Pinewood Studios in
    > London. There Jackson then viewed the QuickTime files on an Apple Cinema
    > Display, tied to his G4 laptop, which drew directly from his iPod. The
    > director's setup was mirrored in New Zealand, and crew could step
    > through shots with the help of their iPods, with Jackson's guidance
    > piped in over a videoconferencing system. During the course of two
    > movies and four months, 'Rings' iPods stored and served up nearly
    > one-half terabyte of digitized footage from 'Towers' and 'King.'
    >
    > Full story here
    > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/tech_reporter_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2077623
    >

    > Now where is the hype about telecoms virtual directors chair, perhaps
    > this so called virtual directors chair is not as portrayed by the adverts.

    As a follow up I perhaps have not made clear my point.
    I believe that the advert suggests the digital images where carried in
    real time sort of like Jackson being able to call "Cut thats a wrap"
    from his London base, when in fact all that they may have provided is a
    VOIP (Voice Over IP) teleconferance link as mentioned in this article.
    Something akin to the infamous ADSL being portrayed as availbe at a
    beach location which at the time had no braodband connectivity.
    Telecom appears to have a very libral attitude to how they present that
    facts, slanted and distorted.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 3, 2004

  3. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    steve wrote:

    > CollectorNZ wrote:
    >

    >>Telecom appears to have a very libral attitude to how they present that
    >>facts, slanted and distorted.

    > They could have used microwave or radio links.

    I asdsume you are commenting on the Beach house teleconference add which
    stated ADSL in the add
    CollectorNZ, Feb 3, 2004
  4. CollectorNZ

    steve Guest

    steve, Feb 3, 2004
  5. CollectorNZ

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Telecom appears to have a very libral attitude to how they present that
    > facts, slanted and distorted.

    Media was transferred from Weta to Pinewood Studios in London. There,
    Jackson's 30-gig iPod was ready and waiting to upload Weta's daily
    fresh-baked shots and sequences. His iPod was then delivered via sneaker
    net to his home a few minutes away from Pinewood.

    "Media was transferred" plenty of scope for Telecom to be involved here.
    They are talking about digital effects sequences not live action
    filming.
    colinco, Feb 3, 2004
  6. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:

    > Now where is the hype about telecoms virtual directors chair, perhaps
    > this so called virtual directors chair is not as portrayed by the
    > adverts.

    Isn't that an entirely different story ?
    Real time streaming within New Zealand is easy if you can afford it.
    I know some of the sound editors, and they made quite extensive use of iPods
    for sound effect storage too
    harry, Feb 3, 2004
  7. CollectorNZ

    steve Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> CollectorNZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Telecom appears to have a very libral attitude to how they present that
    >>>facts, slanted and distorted.

    >> They could have used microwave or radio links.

    > I asdsume you are commenting on the Beach house teleconference add which
    > stated ADSL in the add

    No. I rarely watch TV....and usually talk to my family during any ads -
    except the one about the punk chick with the spikey hair and tattoo on her
    lower back who washes her hair before her Mum comes home......My daughters
    won't let me talk during that one. They love it. But there was no ADSL that
    I could see in that ad. :)

    I'm talking about how they may have actually done it if ADSL wasn't
    available.
    steve, Feb 3, 2004
  8. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, CollectorNZ
    > <> wrote: (snip)
    >> Telecom appears to have a very libral attitude to how they present

    > that
    >> facts, slanted and distorted.

    > It's called advertising. It appears that you can lie madly when doing
    > that and no one will call you on it.
    >
    > Amazing :)
    >
    > Bruce

    So do you think that Barrie Osborne lied on the Telecom LOTR ad ?
    Or did LOTR use streaming video carried by Telecom ?
    harry, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Hi there,

    CollectorNZ wrote:
    > Slash Dot drew my attention to the following
    >
    > "During the making of the 'Rings' trilogy, Jackson and his crew upped
    > the ante on Apple's innovative iPod storage technology, using it for
    > filmmaking sessions during production on The Two Towers and The Return
    > of the King. Media was transferred from Weta to Pinewood Studios in
    > London. There Jackson then viewed the QuickTime files on an Apple Cinema
    > Display, tied to his G4 laptop, which drew directly from his iPod. The
    > director's setup was mirrored in New Zealand, and crew could step
    > through shots with the help of their iPods, with Jackson's guidance
    > piped in over a videoconferencing system. During the course of two
    > movies and four months, 'Rings' iPods stored and served up nearly
    > one-half terabyte of digitized footage from 'Towers' and 'King.'
    >
    > Full story here
    > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/tech_reporter_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2077623
    >

    > Now where is the hype about telecoms virtual directors chair, perhaps
    > this so called virtual directors chair is not as portrayed by the adverts.

    I have no doubt that Telescum were actively involved in the lucrative
    "technology bragging rights" role in LOTR, but as to what networking
    technology or horsepower they provided to the production remains a
    complete mystery. I'd imagine it would be using existing fibre, but
    with bandwidth set aside and dedicated to the production, to reduce
    latency and bottlenecking...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 3, 2004
    (snip)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 3, 2004
  11. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > I'd imagine it would be using existing fibre, but
    > with bandwidth set aside and dedicated to the production, to reduce
    > latency and bottlenecking...

    But do you know ?
    harry, Feb 3, 2004
  12. CollectorNZ

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:52:01 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > I have no doubt that Telescum were actively involved in the lucrative
    > "technology bragging rights" role in LOTR, but as to what networking
    > technology or horsepower they provided to the production remains a
    > complete mystery. I'd imagine it would be using existing fibre, but with
    > bandwidth set aside and dedicated to the production, to reduce latency and
    > bottlenecking...

    Weren't the Telecom ads bragging about the on set satellite links?

    If I remember correctly it was Telstra that wired up the fiber to Wetas
    studios.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Feb 3, 2004
  13. AD. wrote:
    > Weren't the Telecom ads bragging about the on set satellite links?
    > If I remember correctly it was Telstra that wired up the fiber to Wetas
    > studios.

    shhhh, you'll ruin the ad campaign.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 3, 2004
  14. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Telecom appears to have a very libral attitude to how they present that
    >>facts, slanted and distorted.
    >>

    > Media was transferred from Weta to Pinewood Studios in London. There,
    > Jackson's 30-gig iPod was ready and waiting to upload Weta's daily
    > fresh-baked shots and sequences. His iPod was then delivered via sneaker
    > net to his home a few minutes away from Pinewood.
    >
    > "Media was transferred" plenty of scope for Telecom to be involved here.
    > They are talking about digital effects sequences not live action
    > filming.

    Not much scope for Telecom to be involved when the Ipod was Couriered to
    London. And I dont think Telecom own Sneaker Net in England.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 3, 2004
  15. Hi there,

    harry wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>I'd imagine it would be using existing fibre, but
    >>with bandwidth set aside and dedicated to the production, to reduce
    >>latency and bottlenecking...

    > But do you know ?

    Of course not. Someone has to have a guess though, since for all we know
    Telescum are lying through their teeth about the level of solution they
    provided to the project...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 4, 2004
  16. CollectorNZ

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Not much scope for Telecom to be involved when the Ipod was Couriered to
    > London. And I dont think Telecom own Sneaker Net in England.

    The iPod was couriered from Pinewood Studios(London)to Jackson elsewhere
    in London. Pinewood probably have access to a satellite link.
    colinco, Feb 4, 2004
  17. CollectorNZ

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Weren't the Telecom ads bragging about the on set satellite links?
    >
    > If I remember correctly it was Telstra that wired up the fiber to Wetas
    > studios.

    Well Telecom does have a satellite station at one end of Miramar and the
    various studios lie pretty much along the line of the fibre to the
    exchange from the dish. If Telstra was involved at all they haven't said
    much.
    colinco, Feb 4, 2004
  18. CollectorNZ

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:42:46 +1300, colinco wrote:

    > Well Telecom does have a satellite station at one end of Miramar and the
    > various studios lie pretty much along the line of the fibre to the
    > exchange from the dish.

    Makes sense.

    > If Telstra was involved at all they haven't said much.

    I don't think it was that as big a thing to organise and setup as the
    virtual director stuff that Telecom did.

    I got the impression it was also more of a mundane Weta infrastructure
    thing rather than a sexy LOTR specific project. After all, fiber gets laid
    for all kinds of companies and purposes fairly regularly. Maybe they just
    didn't think to tell the marketing dept about it :)

    About the same time there was also fiber laid out to PJs house out past
    Worser Bay.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Feb 4, 2004
  19. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > harry wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd imagine it would be using existing fibre, but
    >>> with bandwidth set aside and dedicated to the production, to reduce
    >>> latency and bottlenecking...

    >> But do you know ?

    > Of course not. Someone has to have a guess though, since for all we know
    > Telescum are lying through their teeth about the level of solution they
    > provided to the project...

    Most perceptive sir, You have got my point exactly.

    I am well aware that the IPOD was used for the Wta Digital stuff and
    Telecom where talking about the actual filmed sequences, but I felt the
    need to draw the groups attention to the fact that what Telecom portray
    in thier adds and what is actuality are probably very different.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 4, 2004
  20. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >
    >>harry wrote:

    >>>But do you know ?

    >>Of course not. Someone has to have a guess though, since for all we know
    >>Telescum are lying through their teeth about the level of solution they
    >>provided to the project...

    > If there is one certainty here, it is that telecon are lying :)
    >
    > Bruce

    No that conclusion can not be draw from the facts I presented.

    But that some people can draw this conclusion are heartening, and proof
    the lisence taken by Telecom in thier adds is noticed by some.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 4, 2004