    profile ??, or alternatively what other recovery options are there,

    Regards

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 10, 2006

  2. Jeremy

    Rob Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Hi ppl
    >
    > I have a problem, My sister created a new acc for herself on my mothers
    > xp laptop. This has overwritten the primary admin acc which contained
    > my mothers profile, will deleting my sisters acc, restore the old admin
    > profile ??, or alternatively what other recovery options are there,
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > Jeremy

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001970

    The first is how to access the "real" administrator's account, the 2nd I
    thought had a fix but I can't find it. I'll leave the link in anyway, as
    it is a great link for xp users.
    HTH

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/linux_links

    Geek by nature, Linux by choice!

    Rob, Dec 10, 2006

  3. In message <457b5b52$>, Rob wrote:

    > Jeremy wrote:
    >>
    >> My sister created a new acc for herself on my mothers
    >> xp laptop. This has overwritten the primary admin acc which contained
    >> my mothers profile, will deleting my sisters acc, restore the old admin
    >> profile ??, or alternatively what other recovery options are there,
    >>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001970

    Which seems to be only applicable to Vista, whereas Mr Jeremy specifically
    asked about XP.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 10, 2006
  4. Jeremy

    Rob Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <457b5b52$>, Rob wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001970

    > Which seems to be only applicable to Vista, whereas Mr Jeremy specifically
    > asked about XP.

    Sheesh. Trust me to post when I'm half asleep. Now I can't find the link
    I was thinking of. I pruned my bookmarks quite heavily when I made the
    move to Linux. Out come the backup cds.

    I should have just suggested he post in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support , many very knowledgeable &
    helpful folk there. Better off posting there than taking your chances
    with half-awake dimwits like me in this group :-\
    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/linux_links

    You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk
    and the first thing you think is, 'edit, undo.'

    Rob, Dec 10, 2006
  5. Jeremy

    Blue Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:07:09 +1300, Jeremy wrote:

    > I have a problem, My sister created a new acc for herself on my mothers
    > xp laptop. This has overwritten the primary admin acc which contained
    > my mothers profile,

    Ms Penguin here. Look how did this happen? Your sister did not have the
    admin account password?

    Oh dear, MS allows more than one admin account. Just remembered. I am off
    to do some fishing now. Bye.

    Blue, Dec 10, 2006
  6. Jeremy

    impossible Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi ppl
    >
    > I have a problem, My sister created a new acc for herself on my
    > mothers xp laptop. This has overwritten the primary admin acc which
    > contained my mothers profile, will deleting my sisters acc, restore
    > the old admin profile ??, or alternatively what other recovery
    > options are there,

    If you're using the default Welcome screen, go Ctrl-Alt-Del, which
    should bring up a standard login window.

    User Name=Administrator
    Password=whatever was originally set on that machine.

    This should restore the original account.

    impossible, Dec 10, 2006
  7. In message <>, Rob wrote:

    > I pruned my bookmarks quite heavily when I made the
    > move to Linux.

    I see. So your excuse is you don't use Windows that much any more. Somehow I
    find that hard to get upset about. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 10, 2006
  8. Jeremy

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:09:40 -0500, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi ppl
    >>
    >> I have a problem, My sister created a new acc for herself on my
    >> mothers xp laptop. This has overwritten the primary admin acc which
    >> contained my mothers profile, will deleting my sisters acc, restore
    >> the old admin profile ??, or alternatively what other recovery
    >> options are there,
    >>

    >If you're using the default Welcome screen, go Ctrl-Alt-Del, which
    >should bring up a standard login window.
    >
    >User Name=Administrator
    >Password=whatever was originally set on that machine.
    >
    >This should restore the original account.

    Agreed but I think you need ctr-alt-del twice

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Dec 10, 2006
  9. Jeremy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Bruce Knox <> wrote in

    > Agreed but I think you need ctr-alt-del twice

    I am sure it is twice.
    Te user will probably want to go into the user manager in control panel and
    have a look at how it is setup to login.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 10, 2006
  10. I suspect the "administrator" was the only prior account, which was
    automatically logged into during startup, as it has a blank password.

    If you then create a new account (your sisters) with a blank password it
    will automatically be logged on instead of the administrator account.

    If you're not seeing the welcome screen then log off your sister, then press
    "ctrl-alt-del" together 3 times. Type "administrator" for the username and
    the password should be blank.

    To prevent the need to do all this to access your account you can go from
    Control Panel, to Users, "Change the way users log on or off" and tick "Use
    the welcome screen".

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Dec 10, 2006
  11. In message <Xns9895DC16033C6daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    wrote:

    > Te user will probably want to go into the user manager in control panel
    > and have a look at how it is setup to login.

    Do you have to be the manager user in order to access the user manager?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 10, 2006