    the printer and flat panel monitor have installed ICM profiles. I'd
    appreciate any suggestions for how to get things reasonably calibrated
    again. TIA!
    swingman, Dec 12, 2005

  2. swingman

    Guest

    Google up Norman Koren and click over to his Monitor Calibration page.
    , Dec 12, 2005

  3. swingman

    Markeau Guest

    "swingman" <> wrote in message
    > With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images
    > well enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
    > comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and
    > contrast seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have
    > installed ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to
    > get things reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

    Since the only thing you changed was the monitor, try calibrating it
    with the free WiziWYG:
    http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/products.wiziwyg.html

    I've had good results with it, almost exactly the same as with Adobe
    Gamma (which comes with Adobe image editing products)
    Markeau, Dec 13, 2005
  4. swingman

    bmoag Guest

    If you are serious about WYSIWYG color spend another $100 or so and get a
    device to actually calibrate your monitor and use for real color management
    instead of pretend.
    bmoag, Dec 13, 2005
  5. swingman

    Mark² Guest

    swingman wrote:
    > With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images well
    > enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
    > comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and contrast
    > seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have installed
    > ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to get things
    > reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

    Two things:

    1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the brightness
    turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their desire to catch
    buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in stores...

    You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
    running real calibration devices.

    2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very decent
    results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is worth
    investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance (and
    benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder 2 from
    Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every penny.
    You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you WON'T have
    to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time (assuming you've
    set up your print rutine correctly).

    It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system that is
    accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have full
    "predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your prints
    will actually look.

    -Mark
    Mark², Dec 13, 2005
  6. swingman

    Pinehollow Guest

    > swingman wrote:
    >> With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images well
    >> enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
    >> comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and contrast
    >> seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have installed
    >> ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to get things
    >> reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

    > Two things:
    >
    > 1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the brightness
    > turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their desire to catch
    > buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in stores...
    >
    > You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
    > running real calibration devices.
    >
    > 2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very
    > decent results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is
    > worth investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance (and
    > benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder 2 from
    > Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every penny.
    > You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you WON'T have
    > to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time (assuming you've
    > set up your print rutine correctly).
    >
    > It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system that
    > is accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have full
    > "predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your prints
    > will actually look.
    >
    > -Mark

    I'll echo that. I got Spyder 2 and it made a big difference in the prints I
    was getting. I have a Dell 20" LCD and I can not be assured that what I
    print will be what I see on the screen.

    Don

    http://www.usenet.com
    Pinehollow, Dec 13, 2005
  7. swingman

    Pinehollow Guest

    "Pinehollow" <> wrote in message

    >> swingman wrote:
    >>> With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images well
    >>> enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
    >>> comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and contrast
    >>> seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have installed
    >>> ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to get things
    >>> reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

    >> Two things:
    >>
    >> 1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the brightness
    >> turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their desire to catch
    >> buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in stores...
    >>
    >> You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
    >> running real calibration devices.
    >>
    >> 2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very
    >> decent results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is
    >> worth investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance
    >> (and benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder
    >> 2 from Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every
    >> penny. You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you
    >> WON'T have to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time
    >> (assuming you've set up your print rutine correctly).
    >>
    >> It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system that
    >> is accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have full
    >> "predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your
    >> prints will actually look.
    >>
    >> -Mark
    >>

    > I'll echo that. I got Spyder 2 and it made a big difference in the prints
    > I was getting. I have a Dell 20" LCD and I can not be assured that what I
    > print will be what I see on the screen.
    >
    > Don

    That was supposed to be " and I can NOW be assured", etc.

    Don

    http://www.usenet.com
    Pinehollow, Dec 13, 2005
  8. swingman

    Swingman Guest

    > "Pinehollow" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Two things:
    >>>
    >>> 1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the
    >>> brightness turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their
    >>> desire to catch buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in
    >>> stores...
    >>>
    >>> You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
    >>> running real calibration devices.
    >>>
    >>> 2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very
    >>> decent results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is
    >>> worth investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance
    >>> (and benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder
    >>> 2 from Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every
    >>> penny. You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you
    >>> WON'T have to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time
    >>> (assuming you've set up your print rutine correctly).
    >>>
    >>> It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system
    >>> that is accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have
    >>> full "predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your
    >>> prints will actually look.
    >>>
    >>> -Mark
    >>>

    >> I'll echo that. I got Spyder 2 and it made a big difference in the
    >> prints I was getting. I have a Dell 20" LCD and I can not be assured
    >> that what I print will be what I see on the screen.
    >>
    >> Don

    > That was supposed to be " and I can NOW be assured", etc.
    >
    > Don

    > http://www.usenet.com

    Thanks to everyone for the reponses. I downloaded "WiziWYG XP" and the
    difference after adjusting the screen is significant to the eye. I'll know
    better this weekend after printing some pictures whether the screen is
    agreeing more with the printer <g>.
    Swingman, Dec 15, 2005