lost wireless connection after McAfee uninstall

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Nil, Sep 6, 2009.

  1. Nil

    Nil Guest

    I'm trying to set up a wireless network for my friend. I got him a
    D-Link DR-614 wireless N router/firewall and a Trendnet TEW-644UB
    USB wireless N network adapter for his Compaq Presario 900 laptop.
    I'm having trouble with that wireless connection.

    I installed the adapter and things seemed to work as expected - it
    connected to the router, obtained an IP address, and accessed the
    internet. Should have left it at that... He had an old version of
    McAfee's security (anti-virus/firewall) suite, obtained from AOL, I
    think. It had long ago expired so I decided to uninstall it and
    install Avast's free antivirus product. The uninstall seemed to go
    OK, but ever since, the computer can't get a DHCP address or an
    internet connection. The router's status page shows the computer
    listed by MAC address, but with no IP address, so there is obviously
    at least partial communication.

    The laptop's wired ethernet connection works as expected. Oddly,
    when it's connected with the wire, the wireless connection comes
    fully to life, acquires an address, and works as expected. The wire
    can be disconnected and the wireless connection continues to work
    until the computer is restarted.

    Just before I uninstalled the McAfee products I also installed XP
    SP3 and a bunch of security updates, so those might be factors as
    well, although the computer seemed to work OK at that point.

    Not having his old version of the McAffee suite, I just installed
    the latest version, hoping that the wireless connection might come
    back, and that the suite might now uninstall cleanly. The wireless
    connection is still half-dead.

    I have tried deleting the wireless device so Windows would re-detect
    it, but no improvement.

    The wireless adapter works fine in another laptop. The router
    accepts wireless connections from another laptop as expected.

    Any suggestions? I'm stumped.
    Nil, Sep 6, 2009

  2. Nil

    GTS Guest

    Had you not reinstalled McAfee I would recommend a first step of running the
    McAfee clean up tool. You may still end up needing to do so.
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

    Try this first - in a command prompt run "netsh winsock reset"
    Try this second - running LSPFIx from http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    If still a problem, try the McAfee clean up tool, but note it will remove
    the current version.

    GTS, Sep 6, 2009

  3. Nil

    Nil Guest

    On 06 Sep 2009, "GTS" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless:

    > Had you not reinstalled McAfee I would recommend a first step of
    > running the McAfee clean up tool. You may still end up needing to
    > do so.
    > http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507
    >
    > Try this first - in a command prompt run "netsh winsock reset"
    > Try this second - running LSPFIx from
    > http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm If still a problem, try the McAfee
    > clean up tool, but note it will remove the current version.

    I will try that and report back. In the end, I want McAfee gone. The
    re-install was just a recovery attempt.
    Nil, Sep 6, 2009
  4. Hi
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Otherwise you probably need to Refresh the WinXP OS installation.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Sep 7, 2009