Lost? wireless after reinstalling Xp

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by hankus, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. hankus

    hankus Guest

    PC A is cabled to the Netgear wireless router and PC B uses a wireless
    adapter to access this network and has had good connectivity.Over the last
    year B's performance has dropped but not the connectivity.After getting the
    correct installation disc (svce pack2) from Dell,I reinstalled WXp with much
    improvement BUT NOW can no longer access the wireless n/wk.I suspect that
    for some reason the D link adapter is not being seen.
    "Device manager" shows only the ethernet card which we used to use
    before wireless which is not connected (as verified in "networking" via
    control panel) and some yellow question marks on the next line....could that
    be the ghost of the D-Link?
    The "help" suggestions instruct me to access the wireless n/wk by
    going to "network" page" and clicking on "wireless icon" but the "network"
    page shows no such icon,only the disconnected cable LAN.I am assuming that
    either this wireless adapter died or perhaps here is another reason it can't
    be seen.Rebooting hasn't changed anything.I d/led an intallation for what I
    think is the correct adapter and attempting to run this program is
    fruitless.
    Should I just install a new,USB connected wireless adapter? there's no
    room in the back of the case but plenty of USB slots.
    Your help is appreciated

    --
    Thanks
    Hank
    hankus, Jan 22, 2008

  2. hankus

    hankus Guest

    ....both PCs run WXp

    --
    Thanks
    Hank
    hankus, Jan 22, 2008

  3. Hi
    You need to install the drivers to your Wireless card.
    1. Log to the manufacturer of the card support site, download the latest
    drivers.
    2. Uninstall the Ghost (yellow question mark) in the device manager.
    3. Reinstall the Drivers.
    More here, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 23, 2008
  4. hankus

    hankus Guest

    --
    Thanks for the info...I forgot to mention that I had already d/led some
    drivers for what I thought was the card but turned out NOT be the one.I
    hankus, Jan 23, 2008
  5. hankus

    hankus Guest

    "After upting in the key"