    Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.
    --
    Sam

    Sam Steinhauser, Jun 22, 2008

  2. Sam Steinhauser

    Carlos Guest

    Sam,
    What you want to do is an "Upgrade Install" from within Vista.
    This is equivalent to the old repair install during boot in Xp.
    You will need a Vista DVD with the same version (or higher) that you have
    currently installed, i.e., if you have Vista SP1 on your hard disk and your
    Vista DVD is pre-SP1 you can't follow this procedure.
    If you have Vista SP1 installed and your Vista DVD is SP1 then you are good
    to go.
    Just put the DVD in your DVD drive, let it auto-run and choose the "upgrade"
    option.
    That should reset things back to normal without losing your installed apps.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2008

  3. Carlos - with the new Upgrade Install, does the DVD also need to be of the
    same "type" as your existing? So if you have OEM Vista, it would have to be
    an OEM disk? I can see this being a problem for users running OEM who have
    upgraded to SP1. Getting a disk out of your OEM that allows an upgrade
    install might be an issue. (yet another reason I'm not a big fan of OEM.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2008
  4. Sam Steinhauser

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I concur with you that getting an SP1 OEM disc might be an issue.
    Don't know whether the upgrade needs the same "type" or not, maybe Darrell
    or some other regular might shed some light.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2008
  5. As long as it not a recovery type dvd, an OEM provided dvd should be fine.
    A retail dvd probably would not be since IIRC the pk is needed. I don't
    have a system builder dvd that I can try in a vm or I would check that out.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 23, 2008
  6. Yeah, I don't either. I strongly suspect the issue will be actually
    _getting_ the right DVD from the OEM. That has been the problem in the past.
    And I strongly suspect retail DVDs won't work on OEM boxes.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2008
  7. Thank you all for the info! I have a Vista DVD from Best Buy but it is
    pre-SP1 and I have everything up-to-date. I don't really play the Vista games
    unless I'm just sittung by waiting for some utility to finish. If something
    else critical or important is busted I will probably wipe it and do a clean
    install. Whenever I put a bandaide on it, I always have this little telloing
    me it isn;t quite right and would be better if I had wiped it ;)
    --
    Sam

    Sam Steinhauser, Jun 23, 2008
  8. Don't give up just yet. The Vista games can be turned on and off in the
    Control Panel/Programs/Program Features/Turn Windows Features on and off.
    After the box populates expand the Games entry and deselect. Close (perhaps
    even reboot) and repeat the process to select your game(s). The software is
    probably cached and no dvd needed (I suspect it is). If it does want the
    dvd try the one you have and see what happens.

    "Sam Steinhauser" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 23, 2008
  9. I went there and the box is blank. all my feaures are just gone.
    --
    Sam

    Sam Steinhauser, Jun 23, 2008
  10. Sam Steinhauser

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I may be pushing the envelope with this but...
    Would it be legal for him to borrow an OEM SP1 DVD and do the "upgrade"?
    In any case he has a legal OEM key.
    ;)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2008
  11. On the other hand - does it really matter? If the (what should I say?) OEM
    'entity' (the originator of the original disk) cannot provide a valid SP1
    recovery alternative, we should be free to make our own? And it should be a
    fact that a recovered system cannot be proven to have been unlawfully
    recovered if the disks that recovered the system can be provided?

    Or?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 24, 2008
  12. It probably is not a matter of legality because that is in the product key.
    The issue would be whether it was a generic (system builder) dvd or a
    propriatary one (SLP). A lot of OEM disks are simply restore media anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008