Lost Video & Monitor Capabilities

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Herb, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Problem Summary:
    Platform: Windows 98 - no wisecracks, please :)
    Relevant Hardware:
    ATI All-In-Wonder Pro AGP 2X
    ViewSonic PS790 Monitor
    System won't recognize monitor or capabilities of Video Card / Monitor
    combo.

    History:
    Everything was working fine, except the DVD-rom drive wouldn't read
    DVD's (CD's ok). I 'deleted' the drive hoping that the system would find
    it and re-install it (that part worked). BUT when I rebooted I got
    messages to the effect that "your display adapter settings are not
    compatible" and everything went to 640x480x16.

    What I've done:
    In various sequences, frequencies, and combinations:
    Restored the registry to a week before anything went south.
    Re-installed current video card and monitor drivers
    Deleted both devices from device manager
    Tried changing display properties and changing the monitor in Display
    Properties / Settings / Advanced.
    Googled every word combination I could think of.

    What happens:
    Regardless of what I do, the system insists on installing an "unknown
    monitor" either in addition to or instead of the PS7900; Depending on
    what was done last, a reboot results in the "bad display settings"
    message.

    Sometimes gets a message, "Setup could not find a file on the specified
    path. If the path appears below [it doesn't] verify it or change. It's
    looking to copy a file to Windows/INF/monitor.cat. (This file IS there
    and available)

    Other than this ugly 640x480 16-color, everything else is working fine
    :)
    At this moment, Device Mgr. shows the PS790 (no "unknown monitor") and
    ATI card, both with drivers, but changes past 640x480 are not accepted.

    I'm at my wit's end over this ... any hints or suggestions would be
    appreciated. If you want any more detail, just ask. Thank you.

    - Herb
    Herb, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Herb

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you reinstalled, udated DirectX?
    http://www.microsoft.com/directx/

    What about checking your RAM?
    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:41:41 GMT, in
    <>
    Herb scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Thank you for the response.

    My Directx.log shows that DirectX was last updated on 22 August. I
    believe that it was to DirectX v.9.

    I haven't specifically checked the ram - I did run the ATI diagnostics,
    all of which showed no problems. (And it was all running flawlessly
    until I started poking around .... )

    - Herb

    Herb, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Herb

    °Mike° Guest

    Re-install DirectX.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:58 GMT, in
    <>
    Herb scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Will do ASAP, and will let you know the result. Here i go ...

    - Herb

    Herb, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Herb

    Herb Guest

    I re-installed Directx9.0b, and ... :(
    No change.

    The actual messages received as Windows loads are:

    "There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is
    incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware. /OK"

    It then opens to the display properties settings, with options to
    cancel, ok, and apply. Anything other than "cancel" results in the
    following msg. (Cancel bypasses the message, but otherwise the results
    are the same - the next re-boot brings it back to the same place.)

    "At this time, display properties settings are limited to trouble
    shooting changes only. The next time you restart your system the display
    will be set to 640x480x16 color mode, custom refresh rates will be
    removed, and any secondary displays will be disabled. After you have
    restarted successfully, you will be able to change your driver or make
    other settings changes. Choosing not to continue will retain your
    original display settings.

    Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes / No)"

    No is the same as pressing Cancel on the previous msg; Yes asks to
    restart right then and there to apply the settings (even the 640x480);
    whatever is done, the restart results in message one, above.

    - Herb

    Herb, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Herb

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, boot into Safe Mode (hold the CTRL key at bootup) and
    remove ALL display adapters/monitors from Device Manager.
    Ignore any warnings and reboot. Have your Windows CD
    or drivers CD handy, as Windows may require them when it
    re-detects the devices.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:39:37 GMT, in
    <>
    Herb scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Herb

    Herb Guest

    I thought I did that as one of my first attempts to recover - but I'll
    do it again now -- THANK YOU for your help and following this so
    closely!
    -Herb

    Herb, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Well, the symptom is resolved, but the base problem remains.
    After removing the display adapter and monitors, they were automatically
    re-created with no substantive improvement. The system will not detect
    the Viewsonic PS790 monitor, and insists on installing as an unknown
    monitor.

    What I did was to re-download and install a complete driver and
    application set from ATI (slightly different than the ones I had been
    using. That finally gave back all the display options - and with a
    little manual tweaking of refresh rates, it's working satisfactorily,
    even if not quite according to Hoyle.

    Thank you again for your help and patience.

    - Herb

    Herb, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Herb

    °Mike° Guest

    The only other thing I can suggest is going through the same
    procedure, but this time delete the following two files from
    Safe Mode first:
    C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVDATA.BIN
    C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVIDX.BIN

    These are Windows' driver database files - they are rebuilt
    whenever needed. Either that, or a clean re-install.

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 03:44:11 GMT, in
    <>
    Herb scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Herb

    Herb Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > The only other thing I can suggest is going through the same
    > procedure, but this time delete the following two files from
    > Safe Mode first:
    > C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVDATA.BIN
    > C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVIDX.BIN
    >
    > These are Windows' driver database files - they are rebuilt
    > whenever needed.

    Now THAT's one I hadn't been aware of. Have to file that away for
    future reference.

    > Either that, or a clean re-install.

    Yes, it's about time to bite the bullet and upgrade the OS to 98SE or
    maybe even XP. An almost fresh start for my overbloated system.

    Thanx, Mike.

    - Herb

    Herb, Oct 9, 2003
  12. Herb

    Boomer Guest

    Herb wrote:

    > "°Mike°" wrote:
    >>
    >> The only other thing I can suggest is going through the same
    >> procedure, but this time delete the following two files from
    >> Safe Mode first:
    >> C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVDATA.BIN
    >> C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVIDX.BIN
    >>
    >> These are Windows' driver database files - they are rebuilt
    >> whenever needed.

    > Now THAT's one I hadn't been aware of. Have to file that away
    > for future reference.
    >
    >> Either that, or a clean re-install.

    > Yes, it's about time to bite the bullet and upgrade the OS to
    > 98SE or maybe even XP. An almost fresh start for my overbloated
    > system.
    >
    > Thanx, Mike.
    >
    > - Herb

    [snip]

    And snip a "few" lines? :0)

    Boomer, Oct 9, 2003
  13. Herb

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 06:33:10 GMT, in
    <>
    Herb scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote:
    >>
    >> The only other thing I can suggest is going through the same
    >> procedure, but this time delete the following two files from
    >> Safe Mode first:
    >> C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVDATA.BIN
    >> C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVIDX.BIN
    >>
    >> These are Windows' driver database files - they are rebuilt
    >> whenever needed.

    >Now THAT's one I hadn't been aware of. Have to file that away for
    >future reference.
    >
    >> Either that, or a clean re-install.

    >Yes, it's about time to bite the bullet and upgrade the OS to 98SE or
    >maybe even XP. An almost fresh start for my overbloated system.
    >
    >Thanx, Mike.
    >
    > - Herb

    You're welcome.

    <snip>