    I'ts sad.
    Any ideas?
    Joy

    Joy, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Joy wrote:
    > I was adding a removable drive and suddenly, nnnothing.
    > PC/s still working but use these bits anymore.
    > No back up drive, no scanner nothing, no A drive
    > I'ts sad.
    > Any ideas?

    you may have overloaded the USB hub, and caused it to shut down/windows
    to "lose" it.

    check device manager for devices with a yellow ! next to them, or other
    undetected ones.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Joy

    Joy Guest

    > Joy wrote:
    >> I was adding a removable drive and suddenly, nnnothing.
    >> PC/s still working but use these bits anymore.
    >> No back up drive, no scanner nothing, no A drive
    >> I'ts sad.
    >> Any ideas?

    > you may have overloaded the USB hub, and caused it to shut down/windows to
    > "lose" it.
    >
    > check device manager for devices with a yellow ! next to them, or other
    > undetected ones.

    There were no yellow !'s. I've tried all the possible software fixes I can
    think of. The machine is new so it's back to the shop for it and I'm
    annoyed.
    Joy

    Joy, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Joy wrote:

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Joy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was adding a removable drive and suddenly, nnnothing.
    >>>PC/s still working but use these bits anymore.
    >>>No back up drive, no scanner nothing, no A drive
    >>>I'ts sad.
    >>>Any ideas?

    >>you may have overloaded the USB hub, and caused it to shut down/windows to
    >>"lose" it.
    >>
    >>check device manager for devices with a yellow ! next to them, or other
    >>undetected ones.

    > There were no yellow !'s. I've tried all the possible software fixes I can
    > think of. The machine is new so it's back to the shop for it and I'm
    > annoyed.
    > Joy

    I think you may have inadvertantly frid the USB ports... I've done it on
    one machine here at work using ~7 devices... I was just seeing how many
    you could use before the machine began crawling.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Joy

    Joy Guest

    > Joy wrote:
    >
    >> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message

    >>>you may have overloaded the USB hub, and caused it to shut down/windows
    >>>to "lose" it.
    >>>
    >>>check device manager for devices with a yellow ! next to them, or other
    >>>undetected ones.

    >> There were no yellow !'s. I've tried all the possible software fixes I
    >> can think of. The machine is new so it's back to the shop for it and I'm
    >> annoyed.
    >> Joy

    > I think you may have inadvertantly frid the USB ports... I've done it on
    > one machine here at work using ~7 devices... I was just seeing how many
    > you could use before the machine began crawling.

    Da fix is simple, so simple I didn't know to try it.
    You have to turn it off and unplug from the power supply.
    All fixed now.

    It seems that when you turn off xp, it's more like standbye and removing
    it's power supply is the equivalent of turning it off. I'm truely amazed.
    Joy

    Joy, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Joy

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:15:27 +1300, "Joy" <>
    wrote:

    >Da fix is simple, so simple I didn't know to try it.
    >You have to turn it off and unplug from the power supply.
    >All fixed now.
    >
    >It seems that when you turn off xp, it's more like standbye and removing
    >it's power supply is the equivalent of turning it off. I'm truely amazed.

    You put too much load on it and it shut down. It's strange that it
    didn't come back on a reboot. It may be related to the ATX power
    supply which most machines have these days. They are current sensing
    and can turn fans on and off.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
    great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster

    Enkidu, Nov 26, 2004