    after are there? (Unsubscribed and resubscribed a 2nd time with same
    result.)

    Miles

    Miles, Oct 13, 2006

  2. On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:43:35 GMT, Miles <> wrote:
    > Had to unsubscribe and resubscribe to this NG. There were a couple of
    > lengthy threads that I was yet to "study," but they no longer appear in
    > the group. Yet threads before and after do appear -- it's as if there
    > are some gigantic holes the list of msgs.
    >
    > FYI, the threads I need are:
    >
    > Custom White Balance, 7/9/06/0743
    > How do you pictures on the internet, Denny B, 6/20/2015
    > Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625
    >
    > Curious as to whether these are still on the server -- if so, why can't
    > I download them in Thunderbird newsreader, via news.sf.sbcglobal.net.
    > Or if not on the server, why are they gone when other msgs before and
    > after are there? (Unsubscribed and resubscribed a 2nd time with same
    > result.)

    Even if your local server doesn't have the threads, groups.google.com
    should have them. Go to Advanced Search, fill in the group name, and put
    your search term in the Subject field.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Miles

    Miles Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:43:35 GMT, Miles <> wrote:
    >> Had to unsubscribe and resubscribe to this NG. There were a couple of
    >> lengthy threads that I was yet to "study," but they no longer appear in
    >> the group. Yet threads before and after do appear -- it's as if there
    >> are some gigantic holes the list of msgs.
    >>
    >> FYI, the threads I need are:
    >>
    >> Custom White Balance, 7/9/06/0743
    >> How do you pictures on the internet, Denny B, 6/20/2015
    >> Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625
    >>
    >> Curious as to whether these are still on the server -- if so, why can't
    >> I download them in Thunderbird newsreader, via news.sf.sbcglobal.net.
    >> Or if not on the server, why are they gone when other msgs before and
    >> after are there? (Unsubscribed and resubscribed a 2nd time with same
    >> result.)

    > Even if your local server doesn't have the threads, groups.google.com
    > should have them. Go to Advanced Search, fill in the group name, and put
    > your search term in the Subject field.
    >
    > -dms

    Thought you had it, but tried and didn't find the msgs -- in fact, don't
    find threads with your method, only individual msgs.

    Miles, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Miles

    Joan Guest

    Custom White Balance
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/r...c730b?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3&hl=en#d55715ccf79c730b

    How do you pictures on the internet
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/r...c58a6f90da81d443?tvc=1&hl=en#c58a6f90da81d443

    Image Stabilization
    Lots of threads - take your pick:
    http://groups.google.com.au/groups?...5&as_maxd=13&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2006&safe=off

    --
    Joan

    "Miles" <> wrote in message
    of
    : lengthy threads that I was yet to "study," but they no longer appear
    in
    : the group. Yet threads before and after do appear -- it's as if
    there
    : are some gigantic holes the list of msgs.
    :
    : FYI, the threads I need are:
    :

    Joan, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Miles

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/12/06 8:47 PM, in article l,
    "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:43:35 GMT, Miles <> wrote:
    >> Had to unsubscribe and resubscribe to this NG. There were a couple of
    >> lengthy threads that I was yet to "study," but they no longer appear in
    >> the group. Yet threads before and after do appear -- it's as if there
    >> are some gigantic holes the list of msgs.
    >>
    >> FYI, the threads I need are:
    >>
    >> Custom White Balance, 7/9/06/0743
    >> How do you pictures on the internet, Denny B, 6/20/2015
    >> Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625
    >>
    >> Curious as to whether these are still on the server -- if so, why can't
    >> I download them in Thunderbird newsreader, via news.sf.sbcglobal.net.
    >> Or if not on the server, why are they gone when other msgs before and
    >> after are there? (Unsubscribed and resubscribed a 2nd time with same
    >> result.)

    > Even if your local server doesn't have the threads, groups.google.com
    > should have them. Go to Advanced Search, fill in the group name, and put
    > your search term in the Subject field.

    Even though Google is an amazing tool, I would be truly amazed if it could
    retrieve a thread from 6/20/2015...

    George Kerby, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Joan wrote:
    > Custom White Balance
    > http://groups.google.com.au/group/r...c730b?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3&hl=en#d55715ccf79c730b
    >
    > How do you pictures on the internet
    > http://groups.google.com.au/group/r...c58a6f90da81d443?tvc=1&hl=en#c58a6f90da81d443
    >
    > Image Stabilization
    > Lots of threads - take your pick:
    > http://groups.google.com.au/groups?...5&as_maxd=13&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2006&safe=off

    Could you please bloody trim your replies?? I won't even mention bottom
    posting, as I know you are stubborn.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Oct 13, 2006
  7. George Kerby wrote::

    >>> Custom White Balance, 7/9/06/0743
    >>> How do you pictures on the internet, Denny B, 6/20/2015
    >>> Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625
    >>>
    >>> Curious as to whether these are still on the server -- if so, why can't
    >>> I download them in Thunderbird newsreader, via news.sf.sbcglobal.net.
    >>> Or if not on the server, why are they gone when other msgs before and
    >>> after are there? (Unsubscribed and resubscribed a 2nd time with same
    >>> result.)

    >> Even if your local server doesn't have the threads, groups.google.com
    >> should have them. Go to Advanced Search, fill in the group name, and put
    >> your search term in the Subject field.
    >>

    > Even though Google is an amazing tool, I would be truly amazed if it could
    > retrieve a thread from 6/20/2015...

    That feature is available only via the super Gold laminated platinum
    card plan....

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Oct 13, 2006
  8. Miles

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:43:35 GMT, Miles wrote:

    > FYI, the threads I need are:
    >
    > Custom White Balance, 7/9/06/0743
    > How do you pictures on the internet, Denny B, 6/20/2015
    > Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625
    >
    > Curious as to whether these are still on the server -- if so, why can't
    > I download them in Thunderbird newsreader, via news.sf.sbcglobal.net.
    > Or if not on the server, why are they gone when other msgs before and
    > after are there? (Unsubscribed and resubscribed a 2nd time with same
    > result.)

    Checking my newsreader, I found headers from the first two threads
    (which had previously been saved). I then was able to retrieve all
    of the message bodies. The spelling of the "Subject" didn't exactly
    match what you posted, FWIW. These were:

    > From: "picture taker" <>
    > Subject: custom white balance/exposure questions ?
    > Date: 9 Jul 2006 07:43:52 -0700

    [48 messages found in this thread]

    > From: Denny B <>
    > Subject: How do you pictures on Internet
    > Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 03:15:35 GMT

    [8 messages found in this thread]

    The last ("Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625") wasn't
    found, although I located a similar thread:

    > From: "Jim Sant" <>
    > Subject: How reliable is Image Stablization Systems?
    > Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:02:48 -0400

    [9 messages found in this thread]

    As for why you couldn't find these messages, one reason *might* be
    that a custom filter (if Thunderbird uses them) might be
    responsible. It could also be that your news server is responsible,
    as none are 100% reliable. Premium news servers usually do much
    better, but cost more.

    ASAAR, Oct 13, 2006
  9. Miles

    Guest

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:23:26 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Joan wrote:
    >> Custom White Balance
    >> http://groups.google.com.au/group/r...c730b?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3&hl=en#d55715ccf79c730b
    >>
    >> How do you pictures on the internet
    >> http://groups.google.com.au/group/r...c58a6f90da81d443?tvc=1&hl=en#c58a6f90da81d443
    >>
    >> Image Stabilization
    >> Lots of threads - take your pick:
    >> http://groups.google.com.au/groups?...5&as_maxd=13&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2006&safe=off

    >Could you please bloody trim your replies?? I won't even mention bottom
    >posting, as I know you are stubborn.

    How do YOU pictures on the internet?

    http://www.usenet.com

    , Oct 13, 2006
  10. Miles

    Miles Guest

    Miles, Oct 13, 2006
  11. Miles

    Joan Guest

    So you want me to post a reply without quoting any of the original
    post?

    --
    Joan

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Could you please bloody trim your replies?? I won't even mention
    bottom
    : posting, as I know you are stubborn.
    :
    : --
    : john mcwilliams

    Joan, Oct 14, 2006
  12. Joan wrote:
    > So you want me to post a reply without quoting any of the original
    > post?

    No! You're smart, and have great one or two liners. They'd be easier to
    read, etc. if they immediately followed whatever it is you're commenting
    upon.

    Also, it makes the sig delimiter work; my news client automatically
    chops whatever's below the delimiter.

    --
    John

    John McWilliams, Oct 14, 2006
  13. Miles

    Joan Guest

    What your newsreader does is your problem.

    --

    : Joan wrote:
    : > So you want me to post a reply without quoting any of the original
    : > post?
    : >
    :

    Joan, Oct 14, 2006
  14. "Joan" <2> writes:
    > So you want me to post a reply without quoting any of the original
    > post?

    Isn't that what you are doing already?

    I've never seen any quoted text in your posts here (not that I care,
    I just tick uparrow to see what you are responding to if I need to).
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Oct 14, 2006
  15. Miles

    Miles Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:43:35 GMT, Miles wrote:
    >
    >> FYI, the threads I need are:
    >>
    >> Custom White Balance, 7/9/06/0743
    >> How do you pictures on the internet, Denny B, 6/20/2015
    >> Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625
    >>
    >> Curious as to whether these are still on the server -- if so, why can't
    >> I download them in Thunderbird newsreader, via news.sf.sbcglobal.net.
    >> Or if not on the server, why are they gone when other msgs before and
    >> after are there? (Unsubscribed and resubscribed a 2nd time with same
    >> result.)

    > Checking my newsreader, I found headers from the first two threads
    > (which had previously been saved). I then was able to retrieve all
    > of the message bodies. The spelling of the "Subject" didn't exactly
    > match what you posted, FWIW. These were:
    >
    >> From: "picture taker" <>
    >> Subject: custom white balance/exposure questions ?
    >> Date: 9 Jul 2006 07:43:52 -0700

    > [48 messages found in this thread]
    >
    >> From: Denny B <>
    >> Subject: How do you pictures on Internet
    >> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 03:15:35 GMT

    > [8 messages found in this thread]
    >
    > The last ("Image Stabilization, Michael M, 6/22/1625") wasn't
    > found, although I located a similar thread:
    >
    >> From: "Jim Sant" <>
    >> Subject: How reliable is Image Stablization Systems?
    >> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:02:48 -0400

    > [9 messages found in this thread]
    >

    > As for why you couldn't find these messages, one reason *might* be
    > that a custom filter (if Thunderbird uses them) might be
    > responsible. It could also be that your news server is responsible,
    > as none are 100% reliable. Premium news servers usually do much
    > better, but cost more.

    No filters set up. Interesting that Joan's links to image
    stabilization did not produce the desired thread, and I don't believe we
    are using the same news server -- I have news.sf.sbcglobal.net. Was
    looking for one that started on 6/22/1625 by Michael M and there was
    another msg from Daniel on 6/23/0745 (Don't know if in NG's the times
    are my local times as they are in mail, or time posted.)

    At any rate that thread was needed to learn something of image
    stabilization, and via the various links to threads on Joan's findings I
    believe the subject is well covered. Thanks all of you for the assist!
    Miles

    Miles, Oct 15, 2006
  16. Miles

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:58:14 GMT, Miles wrote:

    > No filters set up. Interesting that Joan's links to image
    > stabilization did not produce the desired thread, and I don't believe we
    > are using the same news server -- I have news.sf.sbcglobal.net. Was
    > looking for one that started on 6/22/1625 by Michael M and there was
    > another msg from Daniel on 6/23/0745 (Don't know if in NG's the times
    > are my local times as they are in mail, or time posted.)

    The way the times are displayed depends on how the news reader is
    designed to display them. At least with my newsreader the time is
    based on my computer's clock, which I discovered once when I had
    changed the date and inadvertently failed to reset it. This time
    along with the local time zone information is included when messages
    are posted. If someone in G.B. posts a message at 7:00 pm (their
    local time), my newsreader will show the time as either 3:00 pm or
    2:00 pm, depending on whether Daylight Savings Time is or isn't in
    effect. The actual time can be seen in the message headers, and the
    way it's presented varies. Your own message that I'm replying to
    shows these time headers:

    > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:58:14 GMT

    and other messages sometimes display the local time in the headers
    with a GMT offset as in this example from another message:

    > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:10:45 -0400

    > At any rate that thread was needed to learn something of image
    > stabilization, and via the various links to threads on Joan's findings I
    > believe the subject is well covered. Thanks all of you for the assist!

    You're welcome, from all of us, even Joan . . . I think. :)

    ASAAR, Oct 15, 2006
  17. Miles

    Miles Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:58:14 GMT, Miles wrote:
    >
    >> No filters set up. Interesting that Joan's links to image
    >> stabilization did not produce the desired thread, and I don't believe we
    >> are using the same news server -- I have news.sf.sbcglobal.net. Was
    >> looking for one that started on 6/22/1625 by Michael M and there was
    >> another msg from Daniel on 6/23/0745 (Don't know if in NG's the times
    >> are my local times as they are in mail, or time posted.)

    > The way the times are displayed depends on how the news reader is
    > designed to display them. At least with my newsreader the time is
    > based on my computer's clock, which I discovered once when I had
    > changed the date and inadvertently failed to reset it. This time
    > along with the local time zone information is included when messages
    > are posted. If someone in G.B. posts a message at 7:00 pm (their
    > local time), my newsreader will show the time as either 3:00 pm or
    > 2:00 pm, depending on whether Daylight Savings Time is or isn't in
    > effect. The actual time can be seen in the message headers, and the
    > way it's presented varies. Your own message that I'm replying to
    > shows these time headers:

    >> Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:58:14 GMT

    > and other messages sometimes display the local time in the headers
    > with a GMT offset as in this example from another message:
    >
    >> Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:10:45 -0400

    >> At any rate that thread was needed to learn something of image
    >> stabilization, and via the various links to threads on Joan's findings I
    >> believe the subject is well covered. Thanks all of you for the assist!

    > You're welcome, from all of us, even Joan . . . I think. :)

    Interesting the headers here do not read the line NTTP-Posting-Date nor
    does the time line read GMT -- presumably you are on the EC of the
    States? I'm using Thunderbird and the ISP is AT&T using Yahoo's
    servers for mail and I believe for NG's as well.
    Miles

    Miles, Oct 16, 2006
  18. Miles

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 06:00:45 GMT, Miles wrote:

    > Interesting the headers here do not read the line NTTP-Posting-Date nor
    > does the time line read GMT -- presumably you are on the EC of the
    > States? I'm using Thunderbird and the ISP is AT&T using Yahoo's
    > servers for mail and I believe for NG's as well.

    Yes, I'm located in the EC of the States. The NNTP-Posting-Date
    header (and I suppose its exact format) should vary from message to
    message. What you see depends on the newsreader client that was
    used to create the messages. Check several messages and you'll
    quickly see how non-uniform the headers are. If all the headers
    were produced by your ISP and your Thunderbird, then the date
    components you see in the headers would be uniform. At least that's
    the way I understand it. Check the headers of your own messages.
    The one of yours that I'm replying to has this in the header:

    Unless I'm mistaken, you should also see this.

    ASAAR, Oct 16, 2006
  19. Miles

    Miles Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 06:00:45 GMT, Miles wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting the headers here do not read the line NTTP-Posting-Date nor
    >> does the time line read GMT -- presumably you are on the EC of the
    >> States? I'm using Thunderbird and the ISP is AT&T using Yahoo's
    >> servers for mail and I believe for NG's as well.

    > Yes, I'm located in the EC of the States. The NNTP-Posting-Date
    > header (and I suppose its exact format) should vary from message to
    > message. What you see depends on the newsreader client that was
    > used to create the messages. Check several messages and you'll
    > quickly see how non-uniform the headers are. If all the headers
    > were produced by your ISP and your Thunderbird, then the date
    > components you see in the headers would be uniform. At least that's
    > the way I understand it. Check the headers of your own messages.
    > The one of yours that I'm replying to has this in the header:

    > Unless I'm mistaken, you should also see this.

    Guess it must depend upon the originator's individual server or ISP. In
    this thread the entry is seen for msgs from McWilliams, Miles, and
    Daniel; but not for Joan, Kerby, x211s and your msgs.

    Miles, Oct 17, 2006