    I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.

    --
    //ceed

    ceed, Nov 27, 2007

  2. ceed

    Mike Easter Guest

    ceed wrote:
    > Somehow I have managed to delete the "Show Desktop" icon in the Quick
    > Launch bar. How do I go about getting it back?
    >
    > I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.

    Disclaimer: I've never even /seen/ a computer running any version of
    vista

    First I would slide the Quick Launch slider open more to see if it is
    hidden by the QL bar being too small to show all the icons.

    If that didn't work, I would 'R&R' remove and replace the QL toolbar.
    Show desktop is a component of a normal QL bar, so I would think that if
    Win/vista made a new QL bar, show desktop would be a part of it.

    Yes - I go to computer stores like Fry's where computers are on display
    running Vista. No - I haven't been interested to see Vista in
    operation. Yes - I'm becoming curious about why Vista was chosen as one
    of the 10 worst 'top ten terrible tech products' -
    http://snipurl.com/1u9nt

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 27, 2007

  3. ceed

    ceed Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    |ceed wrote:
    || Somehow I have managed to delete the "Show Desktop" icon in the
    ||Quick Launch bar. How do I go about getting it back?
    || I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.
    |
    |Disclaimer: I've never even /seen/ a computer running any version of
    |vista
    |
    |First I would slide the Quick Launch slider open more to see if it is
    |hidden by the QL bar being too small to show all the icons.
    |
    |If that didn't work, I would 'R&R' remove and replace the QL toolbar.
    |Show desktop is a component of a normal QL bar, so I would think that
    |if Win/vista made a new QL bar, show desktop would be a part of it.
    |

    |Yes - I go to computer stores like Fry's where computers are on
    |display running Vista. No - I haven't been interested to see Vista in
    |operation. Yes - I'm becoming curious about why Vista was chosen as
    |one of the 10 worst 'top ten terrible tech products' -
    |http://snipurl.com/1u9nt

    Thanks. It was really gone, not hidden. I did some more searching while
    I was waiting for a response here and found this nifty little program:

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_showdesktop.htm

    It simply restores the "Show Desktop" icon. Works like a charm. I post
    it here in case someone else would need to restore it.

    Again, thank you for your help.

    P.S. I do not understand all the complaints around Vista. It has worked
    fine for me after I disabled all the silly security stuff like UAC.

    --
    //ceed

    ceed, Nov 27, 2007
  4. ceed

    dadiOH Guest

    ceed wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> ceed wrote:
    >>> Somehow I have managed to delete the "Show Desktop" icon in the
    >>> Quick Launch bar. How do I go about getting it back?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.

    >> Disclaimer: I've never even /seen/ a computer running any version
    >> of vista
    >>
    >> First I would slide the Quick Launch slider open more to see if it
    >> is hidden by the QL bar being too small to show all the icons.
    >>
    >> If that didn't work, I would 'R&R' remove and replace the QL
    >> toolbar. Show desktop is a component of a normal QL bar, so I
    >> would think that if Win/vista made a new QL bar, show desktop
    >> would be a part of it.
    >>

    >> Yes - I go to computer stores like Fry's where computers are on
    >> display running Vista. No - I haven't been interested to see
    >> Vista in operation. Yes - I'm becoming curious about why Vista
    >> was chosen as one of the 10 worst 'top ten terrible tech products'
    >> - http://snipurl.com/1u9nt

    > Thanks. It was really gone, not hidden. I did some more searching
    > while I was waiting for a response here and found this nifty little
    > program:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_showdesktop.htm
    >
    > It simply restores the "Show Desktop" icon. Works like a charm. I
    > post it here in case someone else would need to restore it.

    Try the Windows key + D. If it works in Vista, do it again to restore
    what was on the
    desktop.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Nov 27, 2007
  5. ceed

    TJ Guest

    "ceed" <> wrote in

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >|ceed wrote:
    >|| Somehow I have managed to delete the "Show Desktop" icon in the
    >||Quick Launch bar. How do I go about getting it back?
    >|| I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.
    >|
    >|Disclaimer: I've never even /seen/ a computer running any version of
    >|vista
    >|
    >|First I would slide the Quick Launch slider open more to see if it is
    >|hidden by the QL bar being too small to show all the icons.
    >|
    >|If that didn't work, I would 'R&R' remove and replace the QL toolbar.
    >|Show desktop is a component of a normal QL bar, so I would think that
    >|if Win/vista made a new QL bar, show desktop would be a part of it.
    >|

    >|Yes - I go to computer stores like Fry's where computers are on
    >|display running Vista. No - I haven't been interested to see Vista in
    >|operation. Yes - I'm becoming curious about why Vista was chosen as
    >|one of the 10 worst 'top ten terrible tech products' -
    >|http://snipurl.com/1u9nt
    >
    > Thanks. It was really gone, not hidden. I did some more searching while
    > I was waiting for a response here and found this nifty little program:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_showdesktop.htm
    >
    > It simply restores the "Show Desktop" icon. Works like a charm. I post
    > it here in case someone else would need to restore it.

    Thanks for that. Good to know it works in Vista as well as XP.

    > Again, thank you for your help.
    >
    > P.S. I do not understand all the complaints around Vista. It has worked
    > fine for me after I disabled all the silly security stuff like UAC.

    Have you tried the "Windows Mail" app yet? I would like to know what you
    think of it, and why you didn't use it to post this message?

    TJ, Nov 27, 2007
  6. ceed

    Mike Easter Guest

    ceed wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Disclaimer: I've never even /seen/ a computer running any version of
    >> vista

    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_showdesktop.htm
    >
    > It simply restores the "Show Desktop" icon. Works like a charm.

    Apparently Doug made an .exe using Visual Basic for a show desktop.scf
    file.

    <snip>
    Show Me the Desktop
    If you accidentally delete the Show Desktop shortcut from the taskbar's
    Quick Launch toolbar, here's how to restore it: In
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch,
    create a new text file with the following contents:

    [Shell]
    Command=
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    Save the file as ShowDesktop.SCF. This will put the shortcut back on
    your Quick Launch toolbar.
    </snip>
    http://www.activewin.com/tips/tips_short.shtml

    --