Lost settings and bookmarks...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Impmon, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    Earlier today my PC hd an odd crash. No error message or anything but
    Windows suddenly wouldn't load any new program. If I selected (for
    example) Solitire from Start menu, the game never loads. If I try any
    program in the Run command, they never load either. But the programs
    that were running worked just fine.

    I couldn't load Task Manager either so I couldn't figure out what was
    the problem. So off to restart the PC.

    After restarting, Firefox (1.07) loaded normally except it was a blank
    like a new install state. All the bookmarks were gone, the theme were
    resetted to default, and history wiped out.

    I had a backup of bookmark save for the last few bookmarks and I had
    to reset the settings and get my theme back up.

    The last thing I did with Firefox was looking at some eBay auctions.
    After that I shut down the modem and proceeded to burn some DVD-R
    backups when the incident occured. Firefox wasn't up although it
    probably was running in the background. the disc came out OK though
    so it's likely the currently running program wasn't affected by the
    odd crash.

    Any idea why Firefox got completely reset?
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Impmon wrote:
    > Earlier today my PC hd an odd crash. No error message or anything but
    > Windows suddenly wouldn't load any new program. If I selected (for
    > example) Solitire from Start menu, the game never loads. If I try any
    > program in the Run command, they never load either. But the programs
    > that were running worked just fine.
    >
    > I couldn't load Task Manager either so I couldn't figure out what was
    > the problem. So off to restart the PC.
    >
    > After restarting, Firefox (1.07) loaded normally except it was a blank
    > like a new install state. All the bookmarks were gone, the theme were
    > resetted to default, and history wiped out.
    >
    > I had a backup of bookmark save for the last few bookmarks and I had
    > to reset the settings and get my theme back up.
    >
    > The last thing I did with Firefox was looking at some eBay auctions.
    > After that I shut down the modem and proceeded to burn some DVD-R
    > backups when the incident occured. Firefox wasn't up although it
    > probably was running in the background. the disc came out OK though
    > so it's likely the currently running program wasn't affected by the
    > odd crash.
    >
    > Any idea why Firefox got completely reset?

    I would guess that FF did not close completely, and that the data was
    lost in the crash.

    I would suggest looking at the Bookmark Backup extension, which might
    fill in the gaps between your regular backups.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 15, 2005

  3. On 2005-11-15, Impmon <> wrote:

    > Earlier today my PC hd an odd crash. No error message or anything but
    > Windows suddenly wouldn't load any new program. If I selected (for
    > example) Solitire from Start menu, the game never loads. If I try any
    > program in the Run command, they never load either. But the programs
    > that were running worked just fine.
    >
    > I couldn't load Task Manager either so I couldn't figure out what was
    > the problem. So off to restart the PC.
    >
    > After restarting, Firefox (1.07) loaded normally except it was a blank
    > like a new install state. All the bookmarks were gone, the theme were
    > resetted to default, and history wiped out.
    >
    > I had a backup of bookmark save for the last few bookmarks and I had
    > to reset the settings and get my theme back up.
    >
    > The last thing I did with Firefox was looking at some eBay auctions.
    > After that I shut down the modem and proceeded to burn some DVD-R
    > backups when the incident occured. Firefox wasn't up although it
    > probably was running in the background. the disc came out OK though
    > so it's likely the currently running program wasn't affected by the
    > odd crash.
    >
    > Any idea why Firefox got completely reset?

    Maybe there's a lock file in your old profile preventing FF from using it?

    --

    -John ()

    John Thompson, Nov 15, 2005