Lost read receipts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by vascat, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. vascat

    vascat Guest

    I am running Win Me and OE 5.5 and email traffic with all but one of my
    contacts is normal.

    Checking back has shown that while I can contact him, nothing he has sent me
    has appeared on my screen since 4 Nov 03.

    I don't think anything significant happened then, but, in case it is
    relevant, this was a week or two before getting rid of a trial Zone Alarm
    Pro and downloading a Sygate firewall instead (on advice). This proved
    complicated to live with so a few days later I changed to a free Zone Alarm.
    But, as said above, none of this affected any of the traffic with any of my
    other contacts.

    Now we have realised that when he receives an email from me and sends a read
    receipt, this does not get through either.

    Whenever he sends a message it appears in his Sent Box and he never gets any
    sort of "message failed" indication.

    I'd be glad for any advice on what to do to restore normal two way traffic.

    Thanks

    Vascat
    vascat, Jan 9, 2004

  2. vascat

    °Mike° Guest

    It sounds very much like you have him in your spam filters,
    or blocked senders -- it may be that part of another filter is
    also working on information in *his* headers. Check your
    mail rules and blocked senders rules. Make sure that each
    rule has 'Stop processing more rules' checked.

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:49:26 -0000, in
    <>
    vascat scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 9, 2004

  3. vascat

    Spider Guest

    > I am running Win Me and OE 5.5 and email traffic with all but one of my
    > contacts is normal.
    >
    > Checking back has shown that while I can contact him, nothing he has sent me
    > has appeared on my screen since 4 Nov 03.
    >
    > I don't think anything significant happened then, but, in case it is
    > relevant, this was a week or two before getting rid of a trial Zone Alarm
    > Pro and downloading a Sygate firewall instead (on advice). This proved
    > complicated to live with so a few days later I changed to a free Zone Alarm.
    > But, as said above, none of this affected any of the traffic with any of my
    > other contacts.
    >
    > Now we have realised that when he receives an email from me and sends a read
    > receipt, this does not get through either.
    >
    > Whenever he sends a message it appears in his Sent Box and he never gets any
    > sort of "message failed" indication.
    >
    > I'd be glad for any advice on what to do to restore normal two way traffic.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Vascat

    First, is it just read receipts not getting through? Some ISP's do not honor read receipts and kill them as they come in. If it is all messages, the person who is sending the mail should call their ISP to trace the message. It is possible that your ISP has his ISP blacklisted. It does happen with the spam rules that most ISP's are using now.

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
    Spider, Jan 10, 2004
  4. vascat

    vascat Guest

    Thanks "Mike" and Spider

    I too suddenly wondered about message rules, because I followed advice in
    the autumn about "remove from server" and included unreal Microsoft messages
    in the list. My problem contact has the name "Mick" so I wondered if I had
    abbreviated Microsoft down to mic but not so. Anyway pro tem I have changed
    "remove from server" to "move to deleted file" which won't make much
    difference as the spurious Microsoft message were always displayed anyway.

    Now I am waiting for him to try again and see if my change has made any
    improvement; if not I will certainly ask him to contact his ISP.

    In the meantime, another query please, some times when I go to download
    messages, at first a figure like 2 or 3 will appear beside my address, which
    then changes to something less, say one, which is all I get. Please, why
    does this happen?

    Thanks

    Vascat

    vascat, Jan 10, 2004