    When I fist got the laptop about 14 months ago, running Windows XP, I was able to configure the laptop to run the printer with wireless. I was also able to share files between the Desktop and Laptop. I have recently lost this capability and cannot get it to work again. Printer works fine from the Desktop.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks Much

    TomLh2463, Mar 19, 2008

  2. TomLh2463

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
    MarkSatterfield, Mar 19, 2008

  3. TomLh2463

    TomLh2463

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Lost Wireless Printer Function

    Hi Mark

    Thanks so much for your reply -- As far as I can remember I have not changed anything - And no I cannot share files. It seems like it just flat quit working. I apologize for my lack of knowledge and appreciate any help

    Thanks Again

    Tom

    TomLh2463, Mar 19, 2008
  4. TomLh2463

    TomLh2463

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    Central Florida

    TomLh2463, Mar 19, 2008
  5. TomLh2463

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Okay, let's try a few things.

    1) First, help me with the configuration you have. You've got an XP box, a wireless router (?), a desktop, ad a printer?

    2) Now let's look at IP. Ping between the machines on your network. Try pinging between the laptop to the router, the desktop to the router, the desktop to the laptop, the laptop to the desktop.

    I'm expecting that there is going to be an IP problem. Check the IP address on the laptop. Probably 169.x.x.x.

    For troubleshooting, plug the laptop into the wireless router with a cable, see if you can get that to function.

    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com/
    http://mark.a.satterfield.googlepages.com/

    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
    MarkSatterfield, Mar 20, 2008
  6. TomLh2463

    TomLh2463

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Lost Wireless Printer

    Thanks Mark

    I have a cable modem, wireless router, wireless laptop, HP Printer and hard wired desktop.

    I can ping to the router from both the desktop and laptop. I got the IP address from the Linksys site so I hope I did it right

    I cannot ping between the laptop and the desktop nor desktop to laptop
    {But if I put like the desktop IP in the desktop and tell it to ping it works fine but wont using the laptop IP. I hope I am making sense here}

    The IP address I get from "Run:Command IP Config for

    Desktop: 192.168.1.100
    Laptop: 192.168.1.101.

    Thanks Again for all your help

    Tom

    TomLh2463, Mar 23, 2008
  7. TomLh2463

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    I'll assume
    a) The router is 192.168.1.1 -- if not correct, please update.
    b) The printer is hard wired via USB to the desktop.
    c) The desktop is hardwired to the router via ethernet.

    To reiterate what you've said:
    On laptop, ping 192.168.1.1 works.
    On desktop, ping 192.168.1.1 works.

    Assertion here is the IP stack works.

    At this point I'd consider any firewalls you have on the desktop or laptop. Are you familiar with firewalls? At least enough to be able to turn off all the firewalls?

    MarkSatterfield, Mar 24, 2008
  9. TomLh2463

    TomLh2463

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Lost Printer With Laptop

    Mark

    The laptop shows IP of 192.168.1.101
    Desktop : 192.168.1.1

    I deleted the CA Security Suite that Road Runner supplies as I have had trouble with it before.

    Now I can ping 192.168.1.1 from the laptop and it receives the ping
    I can ping 192.168.1.101 from the desktop and the ping is received..

    I can now share folders from the laptop to the desktop but not from desktop to laptop. And I cannot connect to the printer as yet either from the laptop.

    The printer is connected to the desktop via cable - Desktop is connected to router via ethernet cable

    TomLh2463, Mar 24, 2008
  10. TomLh2463

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Great! We are making progress.

    So the router must be 192.168.1.254?

    Assertions are now:
    A1) IP is functional between all components.
    A2) Sharing laptop folders to the desktop is functional.

    Problems are:
    P1) Sharing a file from the desktop to the laptop is not possible
    P2) Sharing a printer from the desktop to the laptop is not possible

    So it is sharing anything from the desktop to the laptop that is broken.

    Here's what we are going to test now -- n-squared on each of the machines to themselves (loopback) and to each other

    1a) Find out the name of the desktop (right click my computer -> properties -> computer name -- read the "Full computer name"
    1b) Do the same on the LAPTOP

    2a) On an Internet Explorer window of the DESKTOP -- type "\\computername" (replace computer name with your LAPTOP name -- this should work, since you said you can share from the laptop to the desktop)

    2b) On an Internet Explorer window of the LAPTOP -- type "\\computername" (replace computer name with your LAPTOP name -- this should work, since you said you can share from the laptop to the desktop, you should also be able to share from the laptop to the laptop)

    2c) On an Internet Explorer window of the LAPTOP -- type "\\computername" (replace computer name with your DESKTOP name -- This should not work, since you said you cannot share from the desktop to the laptop)

    2d) On an Internet Explorer window of the DESKTOP -- type "\\computername" (replace computer name with your DESKTOP name -- This should not work, since I think this is going to wind up being a firewall issue on the desktop)

    If the expectations are correct, then this is going to wind up as another firewall on the desktop. Do you have XP Firewall off? If you've installed SP2 over the last 14 months, then it activated the XP firewall, which explains the issue.

    MarkSatterfield, Mar 25, 2008
  11. TomLh2463

    TomLh2463

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Lost Wireless Printer

    Hi Mark

    I think the router address is 192.168.1.1 , not 192.168.254. Anyway thats what I came up with.

    I'll give you the results of your last suggestions by the number in which you gave them

    2a] Will not work - Says cannot find \\the name of my laptop
    2b] Works
    2c] Will not work - Says cannot find \\the name of my desktop
    2d] Works

    The XP firewalls were on - I turned it off on both desktop and laptop but it didnt make any difference.

    I think AOL also has firewall built in. Would that be a problem?

    I had a heck of a time being able to reply to you in here - Site just would not let me in but finally did - If it would any easier for you, you can always email me at ---OH - It must not let you put email in ---

    Mark - You're probably getting tired of this but I want you to know I appreciate all your help so much

    Thanks

    Tom

    TomLh2463, Mar 26, 2008
  12. TomLh2463

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Hey, Tom, I hope that I can help. You are welcome... so far! Let's get this thing going.

    However, there is a problem. You think your router is .1.1 but from the previous post your desktop is .1.1 -- there is an issue here.

    Do you know how to find out the IP addresses for the laptop, desktop, and router? Also check the subnet masks and the gateways on the laptop & desktop. Show the table here (use ipconfig)

    Laptop name, IP address, netmask, gateway
    Desktop name, IP address, netmast, gateway
    Router LAN side IP address, netmask, gateway

    Also, 2a should have worked (sharing from Laptop to the Desktop) -- can you provide additional information?

    I noticed you are in Central Florida -- I work near UCF. Are you in Orlando?

    MarkSatterfield, Mar 27, 2008
  13. TomLh2463

    TomLh2463

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Lost Printer

    Hi Mark

    Thanks Again

    Ok --Heres what I came up with

    BY pinging the desktop I get IP of :192.168.1
    Laptop : 192.168.101

    On the laptop,if I click on the Linksys Icon, it says the IP is: 192.168.1.1/ [just like that]

    If I go to the Linksys Router site - there is an area there that shows the following:
    IP 68.205.23.251
    Mask : 255.255.248.0
    Gateway : 68.205.16.1

    From the router site I can ping the laptop IP but not the desktop

    From both the desktop and laptop I can ping 68.205.23.251 and receive 100% packets

    Regarding 2a -- I was in error - It does work -- I had the full computer name too long - Sorry

    Desktop Info

    IP : 192.168.1.100
    Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 192.168.1.1

    Laptop Info :

    IP : 192.168.1.101
    Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 192.168.1.1

    I think thats the info you wanted - Am I getting the router info right?

    I guess this forum won't let me give my email address.

    I live in New Smyrna

    I Thank You again Mark

    Tom

    TomLh2463, Mar 27, 2008
  14. TomLh2463

    TomSr2463

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Lost Printer

    Mark

    This is Tom again with new name - Cold not get back on in that name so I had to make a new one -- I was wondering if you had any more suggestions or maybe you got tired of messing with me - Anyway I appreciate all of your help

    Tom

    TomSr2463, Apr 4, 2008
  15. TomLh2463

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Hi Tom, I've been away for awhile.

    The only thing I'm coming up with is that you have a firewall on one of the two machines.

    Zone Alarm, AOL Firewall, Windows Firewall? Any of these sounding familiar?

    For Windows Firewall...

    Control Panels
    Network Connections

    Select the network connection to view (double click)
    Click Properties
    Select "Windows Firewall Settings..."
    Select "Off (not recommended)"

    Then try to attach.

    One thing is likely, Tom. It is a simple fix.

    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com
    http://mark.a.satterfield.googlepages.com

    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008