    do with it! Comp is working but he had a load of family photos in the My
    Pictures Folder. After this 'Recovery' his My Pictures folder is empty.

    Any suggestions how he can get his files back or have they gone forever?
    nobody760, Jan 15, 2004

  2. nobody760

    Greg Guest

    gone forever, it looks like the recovery disk re-formats the hard drive
    and erases the contents

    Greg

    Greg, Jan 15, 2004

  3. nobody760

    colinco Guest

    In article <bu653d$bjc$>, says...
    > gone forever, it looks like the recovery disk re-formats the hard drive
    > and erases the contents

    Some photo recovery software can still find anything that hasn't been
    overwritten by another file but you need a second drive to run it from
    and to save to. The less use the pc gets the more chance there will be
    that something can be saved.
    colinco, Jan 15, 2004
  4. nobody760

    ~misfit~ Guest

    nobody760 wrote:
    > Pal has a Packard Bell comp. Pre-loaded Windows Home. Loads down Sp1 -
    > result major grief. So he gets the Recovery Disk out and does
    > whatever you do with it! Comp is working but he had a load of family
    > photos in the My Pictures Folder. After this 'Recovery' his My
    > Pictures folder is empty.
    >
    > Any suggestions how he can get his files back or have they gone
    > forever?

    I think they're pretty much 'gone' to all intents and purposes. Some may be
    recoverable but not without major effort.

    I don't want to sound like an arse but, with CD-R/RW drives and media being
    so cheap there's no excuse for not having them backed up to CDR.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004
  5. nobody760

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Jan 16, 2004
  6. nobody760

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:44:01 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I don't want to sound like an arse but, with CD-R/RW drives and media being
    > so cheap there's no excuse for not having them backed up to CDR.

    Sound like an arse, more like sense to me.

    Remember folks, there are two types of computer user; those that have
    needed backups and those who will.

    Gordon, Jan 16, 2004
  7. nobody760

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bu5vam$vs2$>, nobody760
    @NOSPAMhotmail.com says...
    > Pal has a Packard Bell comp. Pre-loaded Windows Home. Loads down Sp1 -
    > result major grief. So he gets the Recovery Disk out and does whatever you
    > do with it! Comp is working but he had a load of family photos in the My
    > Pictures Folder. After this 'Recovery' his My Pictures folder is empty.
    >
    > Any suggestions how he can get his files back or have they gone forever?

    Keep a backup

    Mainlander, Jan 16, 2004