Lost partition

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JesterDev, May 22, 2004.

  1. JesterDev

    JesterDev Guest

    John wrote:

    > OS is Win 98 using FAT 32 on all drives..
    >
    > After having intermittent problems with the Bios which
    > *sometimes* didn't detect my drives as it should, which I
    > now *think* I have cured, I have lost the partition on drive
    > 0 (which was drive C:)
    >
    > I am now using a backup drive but I would I would like to
    > get my original drive C: back without using Fdisk and
    > formatting, because I've done a lot of work in the last few
    > weeks and I had hundreds of emails, documents and multimedia
    > files that are now gone.
    >
    > I have Lost and Found that I think could recover at least
    > some of the data, but that would take far too long as there
    > isn't enough room on this drive to save much at once.
    >
    > I tried a prog called Disk Manager (DM.exe) which sure
    > enough tells me that the partition is invalid but it then
    > says it can't rebuild it because it can't find it. Is there
    > any software that can repair my partition please?

    This had me thinking for bit.. Anyway why not boot something
    like knoppix or damnsmall Linux. Linux is great for seeing
    screwed windows partitions. I have a 60gig HDD that windows
    will not touch at all, but I can install Linux on it with no
    problems. Knoppix and Damnsmall will live/run on CD and not install
    on your machine. I use them all the time for repair work.

    Just a thought.

    JesterDev

    John, May 23, 2004

  3. JesterDev

    John Guest

    Yes I have a Linux system that can run from CD, but how can
    I repair my partition with it??

    John, May 23, 2004
  4. JesterDev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Access the damaged partition, backup the data you need, then work with FDISK
    or Partition Manager or whatever to get the drive back online, format,
    re-install Winduhs...

    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2004
  5. JesterDev

    John Guest

    Can't access the damaged partition it's invalid, so can't
    backup the data (though obviously the data is still
    physically on the drive)

    "Toolman Tim" <ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Access the damaged partition, backup the data you need,

    then work with FDISK
    > or Partition Manager or whatever to get the drive back

    online, format,
    > re-install Winduhs...
    >

    > "John" <el.loveislife@nocrap> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Yes I have a Linux system that can run from CD, but how

    can
    > > I repair my partition with it??
    > >

    > > "JesterDev" <> wrote in

    message

    John, May 23, 2004
  6. JesterDev

    John Guest

    Debian Morphix which is a Linux system says, "mount: I could
    not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified"

    John, May 23, 2004
  7. JesterDev

    docmill Guest

    "John" <el.loveislife@nocrap> wrote in news:bFWrc.7$m36.5@newsfe2-win:

    > Yes I have a Linux system that can run from CD, but how can
    > I repair my partition with it??
    >

    > "JesterDev" <> wrote in message
    >> John wrote:
    >>

    >> > OS is Win 98 using FAT 32 on all drives..
    >> >
    >> > After having intermittent problems with the Bios which
    >> > *sometimes* didn't detect my drives as it should, which

    >> > now *think* I have cured, I have lost the partition on

    > drive
    >> > 0 (which was drive C:)
    >> >
    >> > I am now using a backup drive but I would I would like

    >> > get my original drive C: back without using Fdisk and
    >> > formatting, because I've done a lot of work in the last

    > few
    >> > weeks and I had hundreds of emails, documents and

    > multimedia
    >> > files that are now gone.
    >> >
    >> > I have Lost and Found that I think could recover at

    > least
    >> > some of the data, but that would take far too long as

    > there
    >> > isn't enough room on this drive to save much at once.
    >> >
    >> > I tried a prog called Disk Manager (DM.exe) which sure
    >> > enough tells me that the partition is invalid but it

    > then
    >> > says it can't rebuild it because it can't find it. Is

    > there
    >> > any software that can repair my partition please?

    >> This had me thinking for bit.. Anyway why not boot

    > something
    >> like knoppix or damnsmall Linux. Linux is great for seeing
    >> screwed windows partitions. I have a 60gig HDD that

    > windows
    >> will not touch at all, but I can install Linux on it with

    > no
    >> problems. Knoppix and Damnsmall will live/run on CD and

    > not install
    >> on your machine. I use them all the time for repair work.
    >>
    >> Just a thought.
    >>
    >> JesterDev

    The simplest way to repair or re-create MBR is to run Microsoft's standard
    utility called FDISK with a parameter /MBR, like

    A:\> FDISK.EXE /MBR

    FDISK is a standard utility included in MS-DOS, Windows 95, 98, ME.

    Active@ UNERASER, will help you here.

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Disk_Maintenance_and_Repair_Ut
    ilities/Active__UNERASER_for_DOS.html

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P3EA21F58

    And this is all from a help thinggy.

    Good luck.
    --

    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    docmill, May 23, 2004
  8. JesterDev

    Isaac Guest

    "John" <el.loveislife@nocrap> wrote in news:0dUrc.371$OI6.358@newsfe2-
    win:

    > OS is Win 98 using FAT 32 on all drives..
    >
    > After having intermittent problems with the Bios which
    > *sometimes* didn't detect my drives as it should, which I
    > now *think* I have cured, I have lost the partition on drive
    > 0 (which was drive C:)
    >
    > I am now using a backup drive but I would I would like to
    > get my original drive C: back without using Fdisk and
    > formatting, because I've done a lot of work in the last few
    > weeks and I had hundreds of emails, documents and multimedia
    > files that are now gone.
    >
    > I have Lost and Found that I think could recover at least
    > some of the data, but that would take far too long as there
    > isn't enough room on this drive to save much at once.
    >
    > I tried a prog called Disk Manager (DM.exe) which sure
    > enough tells me that the partition is invalid but it then
    > says it can't rebuild it because it can't find it. Is there
    > any software that can repair my partition please?

    When it's the only partition on that drive, then I suppose that by fixing
    your bios you've got another Head/Cyclinder/Sector classification.

    As far as I know it must be possible to see in the partition table what
    this has been, (I don't know how, maybe someone else?) and then you can
    hard classify that in bios.

    Another option is using the detect harddisk option in bios, and choose
    another classification, and hope you're lucky.
    Isaac, May 24, 2004