    shows up in the BIOS blue screen, the system information can't read more than
    Four. Dell says the only solution is to reformat and reinstall Windows. Is
    there a less drastic solution? System restore didn't help....

    AlienCat, Sep 8, 2009

  2. Not know anything about your hardware nor which 64-bit version of
    Windows you are working with it is difficult to make any intelligent
    assessment of your situation.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 8, 2009

  3. "AlienCat" <> wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded from 4 to 12GB of RAM. Everything went fine, until
    > Windows did an update during the night. The next morning I had a black
    > screen, and the only way I could restore my system was to turn my computer
    > off, then turn it back on again. After I turned it back on, my new RAM was
    > 'missing'. I was on the phone with Dell technical support, they had me
    > trying
    > different configurations, but nothing works. Although all 12 GBs of memory
    > shows up in the BIOS blue screen, the system information can't read more
    > than
    > Four. Dell says the only solution is to reformat and reinstall Windows. Is
    > there a less drastic solution? System restore didn't help....

    As usual in these situations, check to be sure the ram is perfectly matched.
    If so, then try installing pairs of sticks until you hit the amount that
    fails. You can also try reducing the dram speed in the BIOS. The memory
    controller may not be able to handle the timing you have set with all of the
    ram installed. I doubt that it is a Windows issue as much as a hardware
    issue in which the memory controller needs more time for messages to make it
    out to the furthest stick and back.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 10, 2009