    I had an icon down on the left side of toolbare that would pop up the
    desktop even if I was deep into several windows. It either went away by
    itself or was kidnapped by malicious code. How can I get it back?

    slowhands, Oct 4, 2004

  2. slowhands

    °Mike° Guest

    Search your Windows\System32 folder for a file called
    "Show Desktop.scf". Copy it to your desktop and then
    drag it onto the QuickLaunch bar.

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:36:41 -0500, in
    <>
    slowhands scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2004

  3. slowhands

    sethra Guest

    slowhands <> wrote in

    > I had an icon down on the left side of toolbare that would pop up the
    > desktop even if I was deep into several windows. It either went away
    > by itself or was kidnapped by malicious code. How can I get it back?

    To re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar:

    Use a text editor to create a *text* file with the following lines:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    Save this new file as a Show Desktop.scf in the Windows\System
    or Winnt\System32 folder.

    Quit Notepad.

    Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the Show Desktop.scf
    file, and then click Create Shortcut.

    Copy the new shortcut to the appropriate folder. In Windows 95/98:
    Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

    In Windows 2000/XP, copy the shortcut to
    this folder: Winnt\System32

    Rename the shortcut to Desktop.

    The Show Desktop icon automatically appears on the Quick Launch toolbar.

    Cheers,
    ~sethra

    sethra, Oct 4, 2004