Lost my NT4 Profile

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Slarty Bartfast, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. I ghosted my hard drive to another hard drive for backup. I do this once a
    month in case og HDD crash. This time however, I couldn't get my profile
    back. Error message "The operating System was unable to load the profile.."

    So now I have 'JohnS' with the default profile and 'JohnS.bak' sitting there
    and so far, I can't get it back.

    Usually, when this happens for others, I just drag the Internet Favorites
    over to the new profile which is OK for most people, but it's a catastrophe
    for me. - For one thing, all my NewsGroup settings in Outlook Express are
    lost...

    I logged on as Administrator, and I renamed 'Default User' profile to
    'Default Old' and renamed 'JohnS.bak' to 'Default User' and deleted 'JohnS'
    and re-logged on as 'JohnS', hoping to get back my profile. I logged back on
    as Administrator and changed 'Default Old' back to 'Default User'.
    It seemed to work OK, until I re-re-logged on again and got the 'Default'
    profile back again!

    Any suggestions please?

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Just checking and I noticed that this had nothing to do with the Ghosting.
    In the Application Event Logs, at my first log-on in the morning at 8:33am;

    Event ID: 1000
    RegLoadKey failed with error 1009 for C:\WINNT\Profiles\paulf\ntuser.dat

    I didn't notice this event log warning at the time for some reason, and when
    I logged of and re-logged on at 9:46am, I got these errors;

    9:46:07am
    Event ID: 1000 Source: Userenv
    RegLoadKey failed with error 1009 for C:\WINNT\Profiles\paulf\ntuser.dat

    Then;
    9:46:38am
    Event ID: 1000 Source: Userenv
    The operating system was unable to load the locally stored profile. A new
    local profile will be created. (1009)

    A quick look at what caused this is most likely this one;

    "The profile is corrupted. Either the local Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.man or the
    roaming copy of Ntuser.dat is corrupted. When this occurs, there is usually
    an event indicating a RegLoadKey failure."

    However, I still don't have an answer how to get back my original profile
    which is still sitting there looking at me.

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Copy folder one at a time, log on, and see if any more are corrupt

    Settings you want are likely in the Application Data folders (2 of them

    You don't need to copy the ntuser.dat file

    Finally - did you change your password as well? Change it back.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Slarty Bartfast

    Guest Guest

    Lost my virginity,.... you don't hear me complaining

    Guest, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Thanks Marko,

    That was a big help.
    It would have been nice to wave a magic wand and get my 'bak' to work again,
    but your method still saved a lot of work.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Feb 16, 2004