    all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
    wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
    doing it one by one manually.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 12, 2009

  2. Emrys Davies

    Buffalo Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
    >
    > As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
    > all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
    > wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
    > doing it one by one manually.

    If you don't get it solved soon, post it in the Win98 ng.
    microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

    Buffalo

    PS: Usually if you restore the Registry, it fixes it.

    Boot into dos and then, at the C:\ prompt type scanreg /restore and
    press enter.

    There is a space between scanreg and the /. I think it will even work
    without it.

    Choose the registry whose date is just before the problem started or the one
    that morning.

    Buffalo

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512

    PS: I just boot into Dos and do it.

    Buffalo, Oct 12, 2009

  3. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in message

    Rebooting and scanreg /restore did not work. Thanks a lot.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 13, 2009
  4. Emrys Davies

    Buffalo Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Rebooting and scanreg /restore did not work. Thanks a lot.

    Post your problem in the ng I mentioned earlier.
    There are some 'great' experts in Win98 that lurk there. :)
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Oct 13, 2009
  5. Emrys Davies

    chuckcar Guest

    "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in

    > I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
    >
    > As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
    > all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
    > wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
    > doing it one by one manually.

    So *only* the shortcuts. Are you *absolutely* sure nobody else could have
    deleted them? Sounds like the most likely explanation. Malware doesn't
    usually bother with such pointless acts.

    What *else* happened when the computer was on that time? something did it.
    Have you scanned your system for malware? *every* file? With just updated
    virus information files?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 13, 2009
  6. Emrys Davies

    Buffalo Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
    >
    > As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
    > all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
    > wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
    > doing it one by one manually.

    It almost seems as if you got logged in as a different user. Is that
    possible?
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Oct 13, 2009
  7. Emrys Davies

    S?uhW??ƒ Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    >> I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
    >>
    >> As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
    >> all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
    >> wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
    >> doing it one by one manually.

    > It almost seems as if you got logged in as a different user. Is that
    > possible?
    > Buffalo

    It s somting to do with "Active Desktop"...you nedd to restoer taht.

    <nods>

    S?uhW??ƒ, Oct 13, 2009
  8. Emrys Davies

    chuckcar Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in

    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    >> I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
    >>
    >> As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
    >> all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
    >> wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
    >> doing it one by one manually.

    > If you don't get it solved soon, post it in the Win98 ng.
    > microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
    >

    > Buffalo
    >
    > PS: Usually if you restore the Registry, it fixes it.
    >
    > Boot into dos and then, at the C:\ prompt type scanreg /restore and
    > press enter.
    >
    > There is a space between scanreg and the /. I think it will even work
    > without it.

    A Scanreg will do nothing for desktop icons. It will however change the
    installed programs and settings. This should *always* be remembered when
    doing a scanreg - which isn't a fix BTW, but an undo - of everything
    recent with all the (including the unknown ones) problems that can go with
    it. It's a last resort quick fix before a reinstall of windows. It serves
    no other purpose unless the user *knows* the history of everything relevant.
    Something very unlikely to be true.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 13, 2009
  9. Emrys Davies

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:55:14 +0100, "Emrys Davies" <> wrote:

    >I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
    >
    >As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
    >all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
    >wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
    >doing it one by one manually.

    I used to do that to **** with co-workers. I'd take a screen shot of the
    desktop and make a .bmp file from it, then use it as their wallpaper.

    Then I'd disable the desktop icons. hehehehe

    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192393

    or...

    I think you can rt. click on the DT and uncheck "hide DT items", it's been a
    while for Win98 for me.

    G. Morgan, Oct 16, 2009