Lost my data during delete of a partition!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tuzzzy, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Tuzzzy

    Tuzzzy Guest

    I have a bit of a question for you. Its relating to my personal PC at home.
    I got a bit over my head on the weekend using Partition Magic 8.0!!

    The pc has a single 6GB harddrive. Was in FAT format. It was partioned into
    C and D drives.

    Partition Magic allows you to 'delete' partitions. The delete partition
    function then has something like "delete partittion" or "delete partition
    secure - warning this will delete all files" . Cant remember but something
    along those lines.

    Anyway I chose Delete partition (the one that DOES'NT delete files!)

    So After I did that, it worked well. I realised that since C was in FAT
    format, I couldnt get bigger than 2.1 G and hence I said Ill convert to NTFS
    and then resize the partition to 6GB (full size)

    So everything worked well. The C drive is now NTFS and the size of the drive
    is 6GB! But guess what....the folders in D drive are no longer there! They
    have all dissappeared.

    Now whats worse is I didnt actually create "Rescue Discs" I know I know....
    I feel stupid already :(

    So my question to you is..

    Is there ANYTHING that can be done to go back to the previous

    partition (or similar) that will allow me access to the folders that

    magically dissappeared? Even after Ive converted to NTFS and resized the
    partition? Please say there is! :/

    Im SURE i didnt choose the delete partition and erase data.

    Hope someone can help me.

    Thanks

    Tuzzzy, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Tuzzzy

    Miggsee Guest

    When you chose to delete the partition, you did exactly that. There is no
    delete of a partition, and also saving the data on it.

    PM is powerful. It helps to RTFM.

    Miggsee, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Tuzzzy

    Gram Guest

    Sounds like you've deleted the FAT table for D in the process :|

    Gram, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Tuzzzy

    Flash IV Guest

    To my knowledge there is no way to recover your data. The data was
    more or less gone after you deleted the partition. That is the nature
    re-partititioning. Partition Magic may have some "magic" that let's the
    drive be recoverable for a short period of time, but after resizing the
    partition and converting to after file system, the data is gone.

    Flash

    Flash IV, Jul 16, 2003