Lost In Translation R1 DVD disappointment: Forced Ads

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Michael, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    From a DVDtalk review:

    "EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six minutes
    of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
    noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
    getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go to
    the menu, only fast forward)."

    Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
    another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie as
    soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your fucking SPAM!

    Michael, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Six minutes in real time, yes. When the trailers come up there is an
    easy to read sentence on the screen: You may fast-forward to the menu".
    I fast-forwarded to the menu - it took eight seconds. I'm sure
    Universal is quaking in its boots over your lost sale.

    Brockhurst Pertwee, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Michael

    Fritz Waller Guest

    "Brockhurst Pertwee" <> wrote in message
    > Six minutes in real time, yes. When the trailers come up there is an
    > easy to read sentence on the screen: You may fast-forward to the menu".
    > I fast-forwarded to the menu - it took eight seconds. I'm sure
    > Universal is quaking in its boots over your lost sale.

    6 minutes of video FF in 8 seconds? Your player turbo charged?

    Fritz Waller, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Michael

    Dave Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > From a DVDtalk review:
    >
    > "EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six

    minutes
    > of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
    > noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
    > getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go to
    > the menu, only fast forward)."
    >
    > Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
    > another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie

    as
    > soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your fucking SPAM!

    before the adds start, hit your stop button. Then, hit the dvd menu button.
    This will bypass the comm in most dvd players. I do this all the time with
    my other Uni_we don't give a **** about the consumer_versal discs.

    Dave, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I'm quite sure you've missed the point, but by all means keep bending over
    and bleating, 'it's not really that uncomfortable'; Universal will be happy
    to oblige.

    Michael, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Michael

    Jeßus Guest

    In news: 40204662$0$28869$, someone let
    Michael <> loose on on a computer... and the
    unfortunate result was:

    : Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
    : another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this
    : movie as soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your fucking
    : SPAM!

    Agreed, its completely unacceptable. I wont knowingly purchase any such
    discs, that's for sure.

    --
    Jeßus

    Jeßus, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Michael

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:09:54 +1000, "Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >From a DVDtalk review:
    >
    >"EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six minutes
    >of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
    >noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
    >getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go to
    >the menu, only fast forward)."
    >
    >Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
    >another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie as
    >soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your fucking SPAM!

    Boy... what agony. Fast forwarding through some ads. I must go kill
    myself now. Give me a break. Some people cry about the stupidest
    things. Get over it.

    mzmeryze, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Michael

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:58:57 +1000, "Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm quite sure you've missed the point, but by all means keep bending over
    >and bleating, 'it's not really that uncomfortable'; Universal will be happy
    >to oblige.

    A top posting cry baby, to boot.

    mzmeryze, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Michael

    Michael Guest

    But of course when you're crying over something really significant, like how
    I post, it's okay.
    Get over yourself, hypocrite.

    Michael, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Michael

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:28:55 +1000, "Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >But of course when you're crying over something really significant, like how
    >I post, it's okay.
    >Get over yourself, hypocrite.

    I could give a **** how you post, it just added more to your
    annoyance, is all. Go cry a river, you big baby.

    Michael: "WAAAHHH! I'm never going to buy another DVD ever again!"
    Someone else: "Why? Did it somehow slice your hand as you put it in
    your DVD player?"
    Michael: "WAAAAH! No." <sniff>
    Someone else: "Did it cause a huge fire in your kitchen?"
    Michael: "Uh.. no." <blowing nose>
    Someone else: "Then what? Tell me!"
    Michael: "It makes me fast forward through commercials before I can
    watch my movie."
    Someon else: "Shit, I thought maybe a DVD killed your parents or
    something."

    mzmeryze, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I wasn't annoyed enough to write a play though, my hypocritical little drama
    queen.

    Michael, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Michael

    . Guest

    Michael wrote...
    > From a DVDtalk review:

    The SVCD rip is good quality and no ads
    --
    Regards,
    ..

    ., Feb 4, 2004
  13. Michael

    Mark B. Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > From a DVDtalk review:
    > >
    > > "EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six

    > minutes
    > > of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
    > > noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
    > > getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go

    > > the menu, only fast forward)."
    > >
    > > Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
    > > another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie

    > as
    > > soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your fucking SPAM!
    > >

    > before the adds start, hit your stop button. Then, hit the dvd menu

    button.
    > This will bypass the comm in most dvd players. I do this all the time with
    > my other Uni_we don't give a **** about the consumer_versal discs.

    That doesn't work with all players. It used to work all the time on my
    Panasonic A120, but not with my new Panasonic F85 for some reason. It will
    fast forward, it's not that big of a deal.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 4, 2004
  14. Michael

    D.V. Bailey Guest

    > "EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six
    minutes

    Sorry, but what's the big deal? As someone else pointed out, it takes 8
    second to fast forward, and personally I like trailers before a movie - it's
    one of the few things I miss from VHS. I say keep 'em coming!

    Admittedly, it's not unreasonable to expect them to be skippable, this is a
    cock-up that Universal need to correct, but putting eight minutes worth of
    trailers on every DVD sounds like a bloody good idea to me - saves lots of
    time dowloading them for nowhere near the quality.

    Cheers,
    Bailey
    --
    D. V. Bailey, Wellington, New Zealand
    Email:

    D.V. Bailey, Feb 4, 2004
  15. Michael

    Justin Guest

    D.V. Bailey wrote on [Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:18:04 +1300]:
    >> "EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six

    > minutes
    >
    > Sorry, but what's the big deal? As someone else pointed out, it takes 8
    > second to fast forward, and personally I like trailers before a movie - it's
    > one of the few things I miss from VHS. I say keep 'em coming!

    Sure. Come back in a couple when you have watched this movie several
    times and say it's a big deal. Not only are there ads for movies that
    are many years old now, but you're still forced to deal with them

    > Admittedly, it's not unreasonable to expect them to be skippable, this is a
    > cock-up that Universal need to correct,

    And have failed to correct for quite a few releases now.

    It's not a cock up, it's intentional.

    Justin, Feb 4, 2004
  16. Michael

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:54:54 +1000, "Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >I wasn't annoyed enough to write a play though, my hypocritical little drama
    >queen.

    No, but enough to proclaim, "I'm never going to buy another DVD ever
    again!" That's worse. Here's your tissue, cry baby.

    mzmeryze, Feb 4, 2004
  17. Michael

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "D.V. Bailey" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Sorry, but what's the big deal? As someone else pointed out, it takes 8
    >second to fast forward, and personally I like trailers before a movie - it's
    >one of the few things I miss from VHS.

    I have never yet seen a disk with trailers where there was no way to
    access them, so "I like trailers" is a straw man.

    The objection is to _forcing_ people to watch trailers. I question
    your "8 second" estimate, but even if it were true it's still
    unacceptable because -- a has been posted here many times though you
    conveniently ignore it -- many players cannot fast-forward through
    the trailers.

    The other reason these mandatory trailers is unacceptable is that
    they are the camel's nose in the tent. If Universal gets away with
    this, they will devise ever greater annoyances, till they reach the
    point where even you and the other Universal defenders admit they've
    gone too far. But in the meantime many millions of discs will be out
    there.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Feb 4, 2004
  18. On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:09:54 +1000, "Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >From a DVDtalk review:
    >
    >"EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six minutes
    >of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
    >noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
    >getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go to
    >the menu, only fast forward)."
    >
    >Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
    >another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie as
    >soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your fucking SPAM!

    6 minutes! They can get fucked. And of course when piracy becomes more
    rife in the movie industry they'll wonder why.

    Ian Galbraith, Feb 4, 2004
  19. Michael

    G Johnston Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:59:13 GMT, mzmeryze <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:28:55 +1000, "Michael"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>But of course when you're crying over something really significant, like how
    >>I post, it's okay.
    >>Get over yourself, hypocrite.
    >>

    >I could give a **** how you post, it just added more to your
    >annoyance, is all. Go cry a river, you big baby.
    >
    >Michael: "WAAAHHH! I'm never going to buy another DVD ever again!"
    >Someone else: "Why? Did it somehow slice your hand as you put it in
    >your DVD player?"
    >Michael: "WAAAAH! No." <sniff>
    >Someone else: "Did it cause a huge fire in your kitchen?"
    >Michael: "Uh.. no." <blowing nose>
    >Someone else: "Then what? Tell me!"
    >Michael: "It makes me fast forward through commercials before I can
    >watch my movie."
    >Someon else: "Shit, I thought maybe a DVD killed your parents or
    >something."

    I think the annoyance is more from this being a throwback to the days
    of VHS tapes. Each new-fangled DVD has a menu feature that would
    allow for a preview section.

    The next step once previews become mainstream (and I'm sure they will
    eventually) is to slip in a comercial...then it'll be just like the
    local theatre with 5 minutes of commercials before the 15 minutes of
    previews.

    G Johnston, Feb 4, 2004
  20. Michael

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Michael <> wrote:

    > Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale.

    Oh. When I saw this post header, I thought it was because you'd reached
    a sensible conclusion that this was the mediocre, overhyped piece of
    nothing that it was!

    Peter Briggs, Feb 4, 2004