Lost half of my hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by zaqona, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. zaqona

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:14:27 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >"mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    >> So since I'm soon planning on acquiring that same Asus motherboard
    >> that you've indicated here, I'm assuming that the multi-boot system I
    >> have will have booting up problems after it's installed being NT
    >> based? Would a ghost image of the XP be advisable which I'd then
    >> transfer after the new Mobo is installed?
    >>

    >No, multiboot systems have no problem with NT based OSes. The problem
    >comes from moving the boot drive from one type of controller to another.

    That's not 100% true, Jim...but true for the most part.

    The NT systems are more particular about reading/finding new hardware.
    If you install on a 40 gig drive, for instance, and then do a Ghost to
    a different drive, and then try to boot from that Ghost'd drive, the
    machine will probably boot okay.

    But, more than likely, you'll get a pop-up telling you the machine has
    found new equipment...the different hard drive. And it'll ask you if
    you want to reboot...which is a good idea in many cases.

    Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 28, 2003

  2. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > But, more than likely, you'll get a pop-up telling you the machine has
    > found new equipment...the different hard drive. And it'll ask you if
    > you want to reboot...which is a good idea in many cases.

    This is true, but my point was the OS is mostly tied to the platform and
    controller. You can install five OSs on the same drive, and provided none
    of them mess with the other's partitions or the boot sector and boot files
    in a bad way, NT OSs won't really care about the other drives.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003

  3. zaqona

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:40:36 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> But, more than likely, you'll get a pop-up telling you the machine has
    >> found new equipment...the different hard drive. And it'll ask you if
    >> you want to reboot...which is a good idea in many cases.

    >This is true, but my point was the OS is mostly tied to the platform and
    >controller. You can install five OSs on the same drive, and provided none
    >of them mess with the other's partitions or the boot sector and boot files
    >in a bad way, NT OSs won't really care about the other drives.

    Agreed.

    Trent©, Nov 29, 2003
  4. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > So since I'm soon planning on acquiring that same Asus motherboard
    > > that you've indicated here, I'm assuming that the multi-boot system I
    > > have will have booting up problems after it's installed being NT
    > > based? Would a ghost image of the XP be advisable which I'd then
    > > transfer after the new Mobo is installed?
    > >

    > No, multiboot systems have no problem with NT based OSes. The problem
    > comes from moving the boot drive from one type of controller to another.
    > Example:
    > In my school we use removable drive bays, and for some insane reason the
    > school has half Compaqs and half Dells. The Compacts have an old Intel
    > chipset, the Dells use a really new Intel chipset. If we installed 2000

    or
    > NT onto a drive in a compaq, it won't boot off the dell, and vice versa.
    > Multiple OSs on the same system won't change anything.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    Yet the "interesting" aspect here is that the drive has been moved from one
    PC having an MSI mobo to another but the fact that it's a different MSI
    model(which I assume then signifies different chipset drivers and hence
    controllers)is then enough to cause the non-booting phenomenon. So if I'm
    making this upcoming change from a current MSI mobo to the Asus one as
    mentioned earlier, you're saying there STILL won't be a booting up problem
    for the XP?

    Thanks for the input.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 29, 2003
  5. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > making this upcoming change from a current MSI mobo to the Asus one as
    > mentioned earlier, you're saying there STILL won't be a booting up
    > problem for the XP?

    I'm saying generally if you move from one motherboard to a different
    motherboard, it isn't going to work. The only case I know of that this
    works on is two, Compaq I think, machines. One is like the 315 and has an
    nForce chipset, the other is the 325 and has the nForce2 chipset. Since
    the drivers for both are identical (all nvidia motherboard drivers work on
    all nvidida chipsets, nforce, nforce2, nforce3). Otherwise, it's a pure
    crapshoot and it probably won't work.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003
  6. zaqona

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > making this upcoming change from a current MSI mobo to the Asus one as
    > > mentioned earlier, you're saying there STILL won't be a booting up
    > > problem for the XP?

    > I'm saying generally if you move from one motherboard to a different
    > motherboard, it isn't going to work. The only case I know of that this
    > works on is two, Compaq I think, machines. One is like the 315 and has an
    > nForce chipset, the other is the 325 and has the nForce2 chipset. Since
    > the drivers for both are identical (all nvidia motherboard drivers work on
    > all nvidida chipsets, nforce, nforce2, nforce3). Otherwise, it's a pure
    > crapshoot and it probably won't work.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    I think then that I'll use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard feature of
    XP to get my more critical files and settings backed up on another local
    drive I have before undertaking this upcoming mobo replacement. BTW, when
    you encountered that problem yourself were you able to correct with the
    Recovery Console commands, fixboot and fixmbr?

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 29, 2003
  7. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > I think then that I'll use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > feature of XP to get my more critical files and settings backed up on
    > another local drive I have before undertaking this upcoming mobo
    > replacement. BTW, when you encountered that problem yourself were you
    > able to correct with the Recovery Console commands, fixboot and
    > fixmbr?

    Most likely not, as fixboot and fixmbr just fixes the boot sector and
    master boot record, it doesn't tell windows "You are booting off a
    different controller now and here is the drivers for that controller"

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003
  8. zaqona

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I think then that I'll use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > > feature of XP to get my more critical files and settings backed up on
    > > another local drive I have before undertaking this upcoming mobo
    > > replacement. BTW, when you encountered that problem yourself were you
    > > able to correct with the Recovery Console commands, fixboot and
    > > fixmbr?

    > Most likely not, as fixboot and fixmbr just fixes the boot sector and
    > master boot record, it doesn't tell windows "You are booting off a
    > different controller now and here is the drivers for that controller"
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    But if the boot sector gets undone after the drive's moved to the second PC
    and then returned to its original place, shouldn't the fixboot and fixmbr
    commands work or is it too late because the prior change in the controllers
    from one machine to the other ruined everything(which was why I could only
    do the complete reinstall)?

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 30, 2003
  9. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > But if the boot sector gets undone after the drive's moved to the
    > second PC and then returned to its original place, shouldn't the
    > fixboot and fixmbr commands work or is it too late because the prior
    > change in the controllers from one machine to the other ruined
    > everything(which was why I could only do the complete reinstall)?

    Your problem is completely unrelated to moving the drive from one machine
    to another.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 30, 2003
  10. zaqona

    Grump Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I think then that I'll use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    >> feature of XP to get my more critical files and settings backed up on
    >> another local drive I have before undertaking this upcoming mobo
    >> replacement. BTW, when you encountered that problem yourself were
    >> you able to correct with the Recovery Console commands, fixboot and
    >> fixmbr?

    > Most likely not, as fixboot and fixmbr just fixes the boot sector and
    > master boot record, it doesn't tell windows "You are booting off a
    > different controller now and here is the drivers for that controller"

    I can confirm the above...tried & failed!
    Grump.

    Grump, Dec 4, 2003
  11. zaqona

    osmethod Guest