    get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my XP side
    back?

    ---
    zaqona, Nov 23, 2003

  2. zaqona

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "zaqona" <> wrote in
    news:bpr5sf$1rhltc$-berlin.de:

    > I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I
    > can't get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my
    > XP side back?
    >

    > ---

    I think you have hosed the machine, and you may need to reinstall XP.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 23, 2003

  3. zaqona

    mark mandell Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "zaqona" <> wrote in
    >

    > > I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I
    > > can't get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my
    > > XP side back?

    In situations like this you pretty much have to reinstall XP. I know
    because I had the same thing happen on a dual boot with 98.
    Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were of any
    help either.

    mark mandell, Nov 23, 2003
  4. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandell" <> wrote in

    > Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were
    > of any help either.

    Recovery Console:
    fixboot
    fixmbr
    <reboot>
    done

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 24, 2003
  5. zaqona

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:07:40 GMT, "mark mandell" <> wrote:

    >"Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "zaqona" <> wrote in
    >>

    >> > I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I
    >> > can't get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my
    >> > XP side back?

    >In situations like this you pretty much have to reinstall XP. I know
    >because I had the same thing happen on a dual boot with 98.
    >Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were of any
    >help either.

    This is most certainly not my experience, the repair console is the way to go.
    derek / nul, Nov 24, 2003
  6. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    wrote:

    > >"Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > >> "zaqona" <> wrote in

    > >In situations like this you pretty much have to reinstall XP. I know
    > >because I had the same thing happen on a dual boot with 98.
    > >Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were of

    any
    > >help either.

    > This is most certainly not my experience, the repair console is the way to

    go.

    This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
    back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that happened
    to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the effect
    of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.

    So I'll have to concede that the person who originally posted the problem
    may have different circumstances than I have had.

    Mark
    mark mandel, Nov 24, 2003
  7. zaqona

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:29 GMT, "mark mandel" <>
    wrote:

    >This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
    >back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that happened
    >to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the effect
    >of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.

    Do you even understand why that is?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 24, 2003
  8. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:29 GMT, "mark mandel" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
    > >back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that

    happened
    > >to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the

    effect
    > >of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.

    > Do you even understand why that is?

    To be honest I don't. So tell me why this happened............

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 25, 2003
  9. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in news:eCxwb.13769$n56.12022
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > To be honest I don't. So tell me why this happened............

    Depending on what type of image you made (drive, partition), and how you
    restored it, you either removed all information about the XP partition, or
    you simply overwrote the XP installation's boot loader (which would make
    the machine boot to 98 without giving an option).

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 25, 2003
  10. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in news:eCxwb.13769$n56.12022
    > @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > To be honest I don't. So tell me why this happened............
    > >

    > Depending on what type of image you made (drive, partition), and how you
    > restored it, you either removed all information about the XP partition, or
    > you simply overwrote the XP installation's boot loader (which would make
    > the machine boot to 98 without giving an option).

    But then it dawned on me just a short time ago tonight that just
    transferring the hard drive from one PC to the other caused the partition on
    which I had XP to get wiped out even before I ghosted the Win98 partition
    onto it(using the Norton Ghost backup on CD's). My guess then is that the
    BIOS in the second PC was responsible for overwriting the XP boot loader.
    The letter for the logical drive assigned to the XP partition was different
    on this hard drive than it was on the hard drive that originally came with
    this PC. Hope this isn't too confusing!

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 25, 2003
  11. zaqona

    derek / nul Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:29 GMT, "mark mandel" <> wrote:

    >This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
    >back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that happened
    >to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the effect
    >of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.
    >
    >So I'll have to concede that the person who originally posted the problem
    >may have different circumstances than I have had.

    Well it was you that stuffed up, you restored an old ghost image that did not
    include XP.

    You can't blame anything else here.

    Derek
    derek / nul, Nov 25, 2003
  12. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > My guess then is that the
    > BIOS in the second PC was responsible for overwriting the XP boot
    > loader. The letter for the logical drive assigned to the XP partition
    > was different on this hard drive than it was on the hard drive that
    > originally came with this PC. Hope this isn't too confusing!

    The BIOS doesn't write anything to any boot sector. The letter assigned is
    a function of what operating system you were running at the time.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 25, 2003
  13. zaqona

    mark mandell Guest

    "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:29 GMT, "mark mandel" <> wrote:
    >

    > >This is true for "normal" situations. In my case, however, I've ghosted
    > >back an image to WIN 98 on another PC on two occasions(because that

    happened
    > >to be the PC on which I originally created the image)and this has the

    effect
    > >of unfortunately wiping out the XP installation.
    > >
    > >So I'll have to concede that the person who originally posted the problem
    > >may have different circumstances than I have had.

    > Well it was you that stuffed up, you restored an old ghost image that did

    not
    > include XP.
    >
    > You can't blame anything else here.
    >
    > Derek

    I'm not "blaming" anything or anyone for this. I'm just saying that
    apparently the mere transfer of the hard drive from one of my PC's to the
    other was enough to screw up the partition where I had XP which happened
    PRIOR to restoring the ghost image. As yet, I still don't know exactly WHY
    that happened. As the other tech just said, it wasn't the BIOS that did
    it.

    Mark
    mark mandell, Nov 25, 2003
  14. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandell" <> wrote in news:ttLwb.19478$Rk5.9486
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > I'm just saying that
    > apparently the mere transfer of the hard drive from one of my PC's to the
    > other was enough to screw up the partition where I had XP which happened
    > PRIOR to restoring the ghost image.

    No, it didn't. The partition was messed up before that, or you messed it
    up in the process of working on it. Moving from PC to PC doesn't touch the
    partition structure

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 25, 2003
  15. zaqona

    > "mark mandell" <> wrote in news:ttLwb.19478$Rk5.9486
    > @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I'm just saying that
    > > apparently the mere transfer of the hard drive from one of my PC's to

    the
    > > other was enough to screw up the partition where I had XP which happened
    > > PRIOR to restoring the ghost image.

    > No, it didn't. The partition was messed up before that, or you messed it
    > up in the process of working on it. Moving from PC to PC doesn't touch

    the
    > partition structure

    My apologies as I am not an advanced geek just yet :).

    Instead what probably has happened is the loss of critical boot up files
    that go with XP like boot.ini or Ndetect.com. However, once the drive is
    put back where it formerly was(in the new PC I built), the use of the
    Recovery Console still doesn't correct the issue and I've wound up
    re-installing the entire thing anyway.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 26, 2003
  16. zaqona

    Grump Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "mark mandell" <> wrote in
    > news:ttLwb.19478$Rk5.9486 @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >
    >> I'm just saying that
    >> apparently the mere transfer of the hard drive from one of my PC's
    >> to the other was enough to screw up the partition where I had XP
    >> which happened PRIOR to restoring the ghost image.

    > No, it didn't. The partition was messed up before that, or you
    > messed it up in the process of working on it. Moving from PC to PC
    > doesn't touch the partition structure

    Have just spent a couple of evenings playing around with Ghost & Partition
    Magic, cloning & transferring 98SE & XP Pro between HDs & PCs.
    My findings were that 98 seems to work ok when moved between PCs but will
    need driver adjustments etc.
    XP does not, unless they're identical PCs.
    Ghosting dual boot OSs (or removing/swapping one) worked ok when I prepared
    suitable sized partitions on the receiving drive in advance. (As an
    alternative to cloning the entire drive.)
    Grump.
    Grump, Nov 27, 2003
  17. zaqona

    mark mandell Guest

    "Grump" <> wrote in message
    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > > "mark mandell" <> wrote in
    > > news:ttLwb.19478$Rk5.9486 @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    > >
    > >> I'm just saying that
    > >> apparently the mere transfer of the hard drive from one of my PC's
    > >> to the other was enough to screw up the partition where I had XP
    > >> which happened PRIOR to restoring the ghost image.

    > > No, it didn't. The partition was messed up before that, or you
    > > messed it up in the process of working on it. Moving from PC to PC
    > > doesn't touch the partition structure

    > Have just spent a couple of evenings playing around with Ghost & Partition
    > Magic, cloning & transferring 98SE & XP Pro between HDs & PCs.
    > My findings were that 98 seems to work ok when moved between PCs but will
    > need driver adjustments etc.
    > XP does not, unless they're identical PCs.
    > Ghosting dual boot OSs (or removing/swapping one) worked ok when I

    prepared
    > suitable sized partitions on the receiving drive in advance. (As an
    > alternative to cloning the entire drive.)
    > Grump.

    Then this pretty much demonstrates that moving XP from one PC to another is
    hazardous to its health(except for identical PC's which mine aren't), enough
    in fact to undo the critical booting files(at least in a multi boot system,
    I can't speak for a single installation).

    Mark

    mark mandell, Nov 27, 2003
  18. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandell" <> wrote in

    > Then this pretty much demonstrates that moving XP from one PC to
    > another is hazardous to its health(except for identical PC's which
    > mine aren't), enough in fact to undo the critical booting files(at
    > least in a multi boot system, I can't speak for a single
    > installation).

    The problem is a lot of the stuff that is responsible for booting an NT
    based system is very specific to the machine it is installed on. For
    example, I swapped out my dying Epox 8K3A KT333 based board for an Asus
    A7N8X-Deluxe nForce2 based board, 2000 refused to startup. This is because
    the platforms are different enough that the old configuration and the new
    one don't match.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 27, 2003
  19. zaqona

    > "mark mandell" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Then this pretty much demonstrates that moving XP from one PC to
    > > another is hazardous to its health(except for identical PC's which
    > > mine aren't), enough in fact to undo the critical booting files(at
    > > least in a multi boot system, I can't speak for a single
    > > installation).

    > The problem is a lot of the stuff that is responsible for booting an NT
    > based system is very specific to the machine it is installed on. For
    > example, I swapped out my dying Epox 8K3A KT333 based board for an Asus
    > A7N8X-Deluxe nForce2 based board, 2000 refused to startup. This is

    because
    > the platforms are different enough that the old configuration and the new
    > one don't match.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    So since I'm soon planning on acquiring that same Asus motherboard that
    you've indicated here, I'm assuming that the multi-boot system I have will
    have booting up problems after it's installed being NT based? Would a ghost
    image of the XP be advisable which I'd then transfer after the new Mobo is
    installed?

    Mark
    mark mandel, Nov 28, 2003
  20. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > So since I'm soon planning on acquiring that same Asus motherboard
    > that you've indicated here, I'm assuming that the multi-boot system I
    > have will have booting up problems after it's installed being NT
    > based? Would a ghost image of the XP be advisable which I'd then
    > transfer after the new Mobo is installed?

    No, multiboot systems have no problem with NT based OSes. The problem
    comes from moving the boot drive from one type of controller to another.
    Example:
    In my school we use removable drive bays, and for some insane reason the
    school has half Compaqs and half Dells. The Compacts have an old Intel
    chipset, the Dells use a really new Intel chipset. If we installed 2000 or
    NT onto a drive in a compaq, it won't boot off the dell, and vice versa.
    Multiple OSs on the same system won't change anything.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 28, 2003