Lost emails

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 28/10/12 02:49, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> I still check them all for both desktop and server OSs - there's not
    >>> much option to do otherwise at large enterprise level as enough issues
    >>> still arise* to have a business impact.
    >>>
    >>> * badly behaved old apps which should have been replaced years ago have
    >>> a habit of breaking.
    >>>

    >> Yeah, agreed, but Geo's not a large enterprise!

    > Facebook sometimes wants to put in apps. I don't know what apps are so don't
    > agree.

    "Apps" are mostly games.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 27, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-27, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > Facebook sometimes wants to put in apps. I don't know what apps are so don't
    > agree.

    Pink Floyd produced and album called A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

    Ask yourself Geo, if someone came knocking at you door, and you did not know
    them, as in *trust* them, what would your response be.

    Mine is, Who are you, and why are you here? Cols calling is better respsoned
    to with a *No*.
    Gordon, Oct 28, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-27, Enkidu <> wrote:

    > "Apps" are mostly games.

    Clif, are you all right? Really.

    Apps is the new word for applications, read programmes.

    I find it strange that people now are called by their first full names, if
    Gen Y. William cf. Bill.
    Gordon, Oct 28, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2012-10-27, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Facebook sometimes wants to put in apps. I don't know what apps are so
    >> don't
    >> agree.
    >>

    > Pink Floyd produced and album called A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
    >
    > Ask yourself Geo, if someone came knocking at you door, and you did not
    > know
    > them, as in *trust* them, what would your response be.
    >
    > Mine is, Who are you, and why are you here? Cols calling is better
    > respsoned
    > to with a *No*.

    People don't come here without a good reason. We are down a long ROW.
    Somebody did come once though wanting us to change out electricity supplier.

    We get plenty of junk phone calls though, even though we are on the "no
    calls" list. So if anyone phones, we know they are not a legitimate caller.
    Usually they are selling some mad financial scheme!
    Geopelia, Oct 28, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 28/10/12 02:49, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah, agreed, but Geo's not a large enterprise!

    >> Facebook sometimes wants to put in apps. I don't know what apps are so
    >> don't
    >> agree.
    >>

    > "Apps" are mostly games.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thanks
    I don't play games, except Tetris. I wouldn't have time for all those
    elaborate "car race" type games, anyway.
    I haven't tried this Angry Birds that everybody seems to play.
    I have quite enough real birds, angry or otherwise, visiting the garden!
    Geopelia, Oct 28, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 28/10/12 23:41, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> On 28/10/12 02:49, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Facebook sometimes wants to put in apps. I don't know what apps
    >>> are so don't agree.
    >>>

    >> "Apps" are mostly games.

    > Thanks I don't play games, except Tetris. I wouldn't have time for
    > all those elaborate "car race" type games, anyway. I haven't tried
    > this Angry Birds that everybody seems to play. I have quite enough
    > real birds, angry or otherwise, visiting the garden!

    Angry Birds is a touch screen game. If you don't have a touch screen
    device it won't work that well for you (if you were to try it). It's a
    variation on a shooting/skittles game where you catapult objects (birds)
    at other objects (glass panes/blocks/pigs) with the objective of getting
    all the pigs. It's quite fun and catchy.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 28, 2012
  7. On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:40:17 +1300, Enkidu
    <> wrote:

    >On 28/10/12 23:41, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> "Apps" are mostly games.

    >> Thanks I don't play games, except Tetris. I wouldn't have time for
    >> all those elaborate "car race" type games, anyway. I haven't tried
    >> this Angry Birds that everybody seems to play. I have quite enough
    >> real birds, angry or otherwise, visiting the garden!
    >>

    >Angry Birds is a touch screen game. If you don't have a touch screen
    >device it won't work that well for you (if you were to try it). It's a
    >variation on a shooting/skittles game where you catapult objects (birds)
    >at other objects (glass panes/blocks/pigs) with the objective of getting
    >all the pigs. It's quite fun and catchy.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    You are WRONG its works on the PC with mouse..
    Frank Williams, Oct 29, 2012
  8. On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:21:00 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <508da641$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >(snip)
    >
    >>Angry Birds is a touch screen game. If you don't have a touch screen
    >>device it won't work that well for you (if you were to try it). It's a
    >>variation on a shooting/skittles game where you catapult objects (birds)
    >>at other objects (glass panes/blocks/pigs) with the objective of getting
    >>all the pigs. It's quite fun and catchy.

    >.. but ... does need an interweb thngy connection for (IIRC) "updates and
    >registration" ? I have seen it for PC, so presumably it can be mouse driven
    >as well. :)

    No there is a Free one with Adds
    Frank Williams, Oct 29, 2012
    (snip)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 29, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 29/10/12 13:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <508da641$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >> Angry Birds is a touch screen game. If you don't have a touch screen
    >> device it won't work that well for you (if you were to try it). It's a
    >> variation on a shooting/skittles game where you catapult objects (birds)
    >> at other objects (glass panes/blocks/pigs) with the objective of getting
    >> all the pigs. It's quite fun and catchy.

    > .. but ... does need an interweb thngy connection for (IIRC) "updates and
    > registration" ? I have seen it for PC, so presumably it can be mouse driven
    > as well. :)

    Yes, but it doesn't play quite as well without a touch screen.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 29, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 29/10/12 13:12, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:40:17 +1300, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 28/10/12 23:41, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks I don't play games, except Tetris. I wouldn't have time for
    >>> all those elaborate "car race" type games, anyway. I haven't tried
    >>> this Angry Birds that everybody seems to play. I have quite enough
    >>> real birds, angry or otherwise, visiting the garden!
    >>>

    >> Angry Birds is a touch screen game. If you don't have a touch screen
    >> device it won't work that well for you (if you were to try it). It's a
    >> variation on a shooting/skittles game where you catapult objects (birds)
    >> at other objects (glass panes/blocks/pigs) with the objective of getting
    >> all the pigs. It's quite fun and catchy.

    > You are WRONG its works on the PC with mouse..

    Roger, I know that. I said "it won't work that well".

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 29, 2012
  12. On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:23:43 +1300, Enkidu

    Works 100% on my PC with a gaming mouse
    Frank Williams, Oct 29, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:23:43 +1300, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 29/10/12 13:12, Frank Williams wrote:

    >>> You are WRONG its works on the PC with mouse..
    >>>

    >>Roger, I know that. I said "it won't work that well".
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Cliff

    > Works 100% on my PC with a gaming mouse

    How do you know if your mouse can game? Mine's a Longitech RX 300 that moves
    an arrow.
    It works all right on Code Cracker.
    Geopelia, Oct 29, 2012
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 29/10/12 13:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <508da641$>, Enkidu
    >> <> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> Angry Birds is a touch screen game. If you don't have a touch screen
    >>> device it won't work that well for you (if you were to try it). It's a
    >>> variation on a shooting/skittles game where you catapult objects (birds)
    >>> at other objects (glass panes/blocks/pigs) with the objective of getting
    >>> all the pigs. It's quite fun and catchy.

    >> .. but ... does need an interweb thngy connection for (IIRC) "updates and
    >> registration" ? I have seen it for PC, so presumably it can be mouse
    >> driven
    >> as well. :)
    >>

    > Yes, but it doesn't play quite as well without a touch screen.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I don't think it is the kind of game I would like.

    Geopelia, Oct 29, 2012
  15. In article <508dda9f$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 29/10/12 13:12, Frank Williams wrote:

    (snip)
    >> You are WRONG its works on the PC with mouse..
    >>

    >Roger, I know that. I said "it won't work that well".

    Roger/wrong ... tautology ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 29, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 29/10/12 16:02, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:23:43 +1300, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 29/10/12 13:12, Frank Williams wrote:

    >>> You are WRONG its works on the PC with mouse..
    >>>

    >> Roger, I know that. I said "it won't work that well".

    > Works 100% on my PC with a gaming mouse

    Sure it *works*. But I've tried it both ways and it is more playable on
    a touch screen.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 29, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 30/10/12 13:13, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <508eea53$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >> Sure it *works*. But I've tried it both ways and it is more playable on
    >> a touch screen.

    > Might depend at least partly on what kind of gamer you are ?
    > I hate real time ... but some people love it. What works well for someone on
    > a touch screen might be better with a mouse for others ? :)

    Maybe, though I suspect not.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 29, 2012