Lost emails

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k60pgk$358$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <k5tf11$pia$>, , Geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > Did you look?
    >> >
    >> > Try this page - login using your Xtra credentials...
    >> >
    >> > http://www.telecom.co.nz/webmail/
    >> >
    >> > And go to the Spam or Junk folder.
    >> >

    >> Thank you. I found that, but the missing emails are not there.
    >>
    >> I found a Trend Micro newsletter in the spam though, and marked it Not
    >> Spam.
    >>
    >> I can't find anything about allowing Trend micro messages. There is an
    >> entry
    >> in the index for "allow list" but it only involves blocking messages.
    >> Where
    >> do I look for allowing messages please?

    > Typically, Spam/Junk folders have a small retention period. Perhaps a
    > month, or maybe two. I don't know what Xtra's retention period is for
    > the Junk/Spam folder. And I can't help with the allow bit either - I
    > haven't visited any of their e-mail accounts on webmail for a couple
    > years now. Hopefully someone else that uses Xtra (Yahoo) e-mail can
    > help with the details. It might (should) be possible to even set the
    > retention period. Perhaps your computer man can remote on and show you?
    >
    > Could be prudent to check the webmail Junk/Spam folder at least once a
    > month.

    Thank you, I'll do that. But most of the family now use Facebook. (I just
    have it for Friends and Family).
    If they don't get a reply to their emails they phone.

    I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates etc,
    so the computer man will set it all up.

    Before xtra and Yahoo combined, it was so simple to get the spam folder on
    xtra.
    I never liked Yahoo on its own, whenever I used it the computer used to
    freeze.
    But I am in a Yahoo group for birds, and that seems to be working all right
    now.
    New posts come by email to xtra.
    Geopelia, Oct 21, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 22/10/12 10:16, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <k60pgk$358$>, , Geopelia
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you. I found that, but the missing emails are not there.
    >>>
    >>> I found a Trend Micro newsletter in the spam though, and marked it Not
    >>> Spam.
    >>>
    >>> I can't find anything about allowing Trend micro messages. There is an
    >>> entry
    >>> in the index for "allow list" but it only involves blocking messages.
    >>> Where
    >>> do I look for allowing messages please?

    >> Typically, Spam/Junk folders have a small retention period. Perhaps a
    >> month, or maybe two. I don't know what Xtra's retention period is for
    >> the Junk/Spam folder. And I can't help with the allow bit either - I
    >> haven't visited any of their e-mail accounts on webmail for a couple
    >> years now. Hopefully someone else that uses Xtra (Yahoo) e-mail can
    >> help with the details. It might (should) be possible to even set the
    >> retention period. Perhaps your computer man can remote on and show you?
    >>
    >> Could be prudent to check the webmail Junk/Spam folder at least once a
    >> month.

    > Thank you, I'll do that. But most of the family now use Facebook. (I just
    > have it for Friends and Family).
    > If they don't get a reply to their emails they phone.
    >
    > I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates etc,
    > so the computer man will set it all up.
    >
    > Before xtra and Yahoo combined, it was so simple to get the spam folder on
    > xtra.
    > I never liked Yahoo on its own, whenever I used it the computer used to
    > freeze.
    > But I am in a Yahoo group for birds, and that seems to be working all right
    > now.
    > New posts come by email to xtra.

    Geo, you will not *have* to get another program when XP stops getting
    updates. XP will not stop working and Trend should continue to support
    it. But talk to your computer man.

    Most of the issues with XP will have been fixed so there should be few
    updates these days. However there may be updates to Internet Explorer
    and other programs, but those should not stop when XP stops getting updates.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 21, 2012

  3. In article <k61onq$4ci$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates etc,
    >so the computer man will set it all up.

    Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without the
    'updates'. :)
    If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of MS'
    better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't necessarily
    bad ... don't we. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 23, 2012
  4. On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:12:01 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <k61onq$4ci$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >(snip)
    >
    >>I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates etc,
    >>so the computer man will set it all up.

    >Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without the
    >'updates'. :)
    >If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of MS'
    >better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't necessarily
    >bad ... don't we. :)

    Plus having old Hardware with No WIN7/8 support, I have one of those
    problems with a $800 HP scanner.
    Frank Williams, Oct 23, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    victor Guest

    On 23/10/2012 9:41 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:12:01 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <k61onq$4ci$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates etc,
    >>> so the computer man will set it all up.

    >> Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without the
    >> 'updates'. :)
    >> If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of MS'
    >> better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't necessarily
    >> bad ... don't we. :)
    >>

    > Plus having old Hardware with No WIN7/8 support, I have one of those
    > problems with a $800 HP scanner.

    Have you tried Vuescan ?
    http://www.hamrick.com/
    My old Epson scanner doesn't have win 7 support, but it works with vuescan.
    victor, Oct 23, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:k64js1$i0b$...
    > In article <k61onq$4ci$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >>I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates
    >>etc,
    >>so the computer man will set it all up.

    > Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without the
    > 'updates'. :)
    > If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of MS'
    > better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't necessarily
    > bad ... don't we. :)

    I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    computer firm changed it.
    What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.

    The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.
    Geopelia, Oct 23, 2012
  7. In article <k671ek$ue$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    >computer firm changed it.
    >What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
    >
    >The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.

    Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to decide what
    gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave that choice to MS. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 24, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 24/10/12 12:12, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <k671ek$ue$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>
    >> I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    >> computer firm changed it.
    >> What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
    >>
    >> The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.

    > Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to decide what
    > gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave that choice to MS. :)

    Do you actually check what each one is for, Bruce?

    I used to do that back in the days of Windows 95/98. But I've not done
    it for ages. I just accept the lot. These day there is very very rarely
    a dud.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 24, 2012
  9. On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:k64js1$i0b$...
    >> In article <k61onq$4ci$>, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>>I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates
    >>>etc,
    >>>so the computer man will set it all up.

    >> Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without the
    >> 'updates'. :)
    >> If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of MS'
    >> better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't necessarily
    >> bad ... don't we. :)
    >>

    >I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    >computer firm changed it.
    >What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
    >
    >The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.

    They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
    Windows.
    Frank Williams, Oct 24, 2012
  10. In article <50872bcf$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 24/10/12 12:12, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <k671ek$ue$>, "Geopelia" <>

    > wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>> I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    >>> computer firm changed it.
    >>> What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
    >>> The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.

    >> Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to decide what
    >> gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave that choice to MS. :)

    >Do you actually check what each one is for, Bruce?

    Um, yes. :)

    >I used to do that back in the days of Windows 95/98. But I've not done
    >it for ages. I just accept the lot. These day there is very very rarely
    >a dud.

    But ... sometimes there is. I hasten to add that the update conveyor is one
    of the reasons I abandoned windows for home use. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 24, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>in message news:k64js1$i0b$...
    >>> In article <k61onq$4ci$>, "Geopelia"
    >>> <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> (snip)

    >>> Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without
    >>> the
    >>> 'updates'. :)
    >>> If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of
    >>> MS'
    >>> better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't
    >>> necessarily
    >>> bad ... don't we. :)
    >>>

    >>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before
    >>the
    >>computer firm changed it.
    >>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
    >>
    >>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them
    >>do.
    >>

    > They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
    > Windows.

    Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
    Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.

    Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.

    The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
    versions

    Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.

    Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
    I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man will
    do it.

    If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
    more memory in it last time.
    Geopelia, Oct 24, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-23, Bruce Sinclair <> wrote:
    > In article <k671ek$ue$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>
    >>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    >>computer firm changed it.
    >>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.

    Kool! An old pice of hardware still delivering the goods. I read a few ng
    and many of the posters ahve new hardware, and some do not.

    >>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.

    > Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to decide what
    > gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave that choice to MS. :)

    Good on you Bruce. However have you considered, Geo, as a user; vs the enemy
    out there?

    While Ms Windows is off my shopping list, I have to say that in recent years
    she has got somewhat better at helping the average Jane Doe from the attacks
    of the nsaty people out there.

    So, in my view, Geo; go with the updates. The enemy adpats, and users (OS)
    have to also.

    Software programmes, like evolution, are never completed.
    Gordon, Oct 24, 2012
  13. On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:23:04 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>>in message news:k64js1$i0b$...

    >>>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before
    >>>the
    >>>computer firm changed it.
    >>>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
    >>>
    >>>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them
    >>>do.
    >>>

    >> They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
    >> Windows.

    >Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
    >Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.
    >
    >Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.
    >
    >The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
    >versions
    >
    >Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.
    >
    >Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
    >I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man will
    >do it.
    >
    >If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
    >more memory in it last time.

    XP should have SP3 installed.

    Forget WIN 8 no one likes it..
    Frank Williams, Oct 24, 2012
  14. On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:23:04 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>>in message news:k64js1$i0b$...

    >>>I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before
    >>>the
    >>>computer firm changed it.
    >>>What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.
    >>>
    >>>The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them
    >>>do.
    >>>

    >> They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
    >> Windows.

    >Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
    >Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.
    >
    >Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.
    >
    >The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
    >versions
    >
    >Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.
    >
    >Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
    >I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man will
    >do it.
    >
    >If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
    >more memory in it last time.

    If you want to think of Windows 7 MS has a program to test your PC if
    it can work on it..
    Frank Williams, Oct 24, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-24, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
    > more memory in it last time.

    Wise choice, more RAM is always good. Like old people old computers benefit
    from more memory ;-)
    Gordon, Oct 24, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:23:04 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
    >>> Windows.

    >>Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
    >>Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.
    >>
    >>Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.
    >>
    >>The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
    >>versions
    >>
    >>Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.
    >>
    >>Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
    >>I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man
    >>will
    >>do it.
    >>
    >>If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck
    >>some
    >>more memory in it last time.
    >>

    > XP should have SP3 installed.
    >
    > Forget WIN 8 no one likes it..

    Yes. it's got SP3 now.

    The last disc I got from Trend Micro checked the computer to see if I had
    got the necessary things.
    I suppose this 2013 disc will do the same.
    I have to pay again in March 2013. I expect they will let me know.
    Geopelia, Oct 24, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2012-10-24, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck
    >> some
    >> more memory in it last time.
    >>

    > Wise choice, more RAM is always good. Like old people old computers
    > benefit
    > from more memory ;-)

    I stick things in Favourites if I think I can't remember them.
    Or look up what people tell me here.
    Geopelia, Oct 24, 2012
  18. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 24/10/12 17:09, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <50872bcf$>, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >> On 24/10/12 12:12, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> In article <k671ek$ue$>, "Geopelia"
    >>> <>

    >> wrote:
    >>> (snip)
    >>> Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to
    >>> decide what gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave
    >>> that choice to MS. :)

    >> Do you actually check what each one is for, Bruce?

    > Um, yes. :)
    >
    >> I used to do that back in the days of Windows 95/98. But I've not
    >> done it for ages. I just accept the lot. These day there is very
    >> very rarely a dud.

    > But ... sometimes there is. I hasten to add that the update conveyor
    > is one of the reasons I abandoned windows for home use. :)

    I've not had an issue in many years. I used to get them all the time.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 24, 2012
  19. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 26/10/12 07:03, EMB wrote:
    > On 25/10/2012 10:00 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >> On 24/10/12 17:09, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> But ... sometimes there is. I hasten to add that the update conveyor
    >>> is one of the reasons I abandoned windows for home use. :)
    >>>

    >> I've not had an issue in many years. I used to get them all the time.

    > I still check them all for both desktop and server OSs - there's not
    > much option to do otherwise at large enterprise level as enough issues
    > still arise* to have a business impact.
    >
    > * badly behaved old apps which should have been replaced years ago have
    > a habit of breaking.

    Yeah, agreed, but Geo's not a large enterprise!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 26, 2012
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 26/10/12 07:03, EMB wrote:

    >>> I've not had an issue in many years. I used to get them all the time.

    >> I still check them all for both desktop and server OSs - there's not
    >> much option to do otherwise at large enterprise level as enough issues
    >> still arise* to have a business impact.
    >>
    >> * badly behaved old apps which should have been replaced years ago have
    >> a habit of breaking.
    > >

    > Yeah, agreed, but Geo's not a large enterprise!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Facebook sometimes wants to put in apps. I don't know what apps are so don't
    agree.
    Geopelia, Oct 27, 2012