    He did exactly what he always does.

    I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?

    XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    Geopelia, Oct 19, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/10/12 10:39, Geopelia wrote:

    > Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >
    > Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    > The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    > He did exactly what he always does.
    >
    > I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >
    > XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    Geo, there are no guarantees with email. If something is important you
    either should not send it by email or make sure that it is received by
    phoning or something. We are so used to it just working that we are
    surprised when it doesn't, but really, it's just like paper mail - it
    can get lost.

    I suspect Yahoo/Xtra though.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 19, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k5shai$bqf$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >
    > Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    > The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    > He did exactly what he always does.
    >
    > I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >
    > XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
    server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
    hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.

    So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
    has been delivered.

    So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
    Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 20, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 10/20/2012 1:13 PM, Dave Doe wrote:
    >> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?

    xtra's email is yahoo, who generally are the problem.

    >> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    > If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
    > server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
    > hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.

    In an ideal world that will happen, but as spammers use those bounces to
    deliver spam, most mail servers now are configured by someone smart
    enough to not bounce messages that fail SPF.

    > So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
    > has been delivered.
    >
    > So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
    > Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

    Its a possibility its in the xtra inaccessable other than webmail spam
    folder that 90% of their customers have no idea about, other than that
    it just never made it. Like SMS, email is a best effort service with no
    easy ability to track what happened since mail servers will usually not
    log a whole lot since it would just generate gigs and gigs a day of logs
    of spam being discarded by the filter.

    Richard, Oct 20, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <k5shai$bqf$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >>
    >> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    >> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    >> He did exactly what he always does.
    >>
    >> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    > If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
    > server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
    > hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
    >
    > So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
    > has been delivered.
    >
    > So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
    > Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

    Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
    may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
    mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
    was business emails.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 20, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-20, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
    >> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
    >> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
    >>
    >> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
    >> has been delivered.
    >>
    >> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
    >> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).
    >>

    > Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
    > may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
    > mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
    > was business emails.

    Tell us, apart from the content, what seperates business emails from
    persoanl ones, or spam for that matter.

    Gordon, Oct 20, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-10-19, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 20/10/12 10:39, Geopelia wrote:
    > >
    >> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >>
    >> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    >> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    >> He did exactly what he always does.
    >>
    >> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.
    >>

    > Geo, there are no guarantees with email. If something is important you
    > either should not send it by email or make sure that it is received by
    > phoning or something. We are so used to it just working that we are
    > surprised when it doesn't, but really, it's just like paper mail - it
    > can get lost.

    There are some e-mails which I receive, which are not addressed to my e-mail
    address. Some of them are from people I do not know, spammers excluded. I
    ignore them all.

    > I suspect Yahoo/Xtra though.

    Good start. Increases the chances of a missed delivery.

    Gordon, Oct 20, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <k5shai$bqf$>, , Geopelia
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >>>
    >>> Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    >>> The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    >>> He did exactly what he always does.
    >>>
    >>> I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >>>
    >>> XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    >> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
    >> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
    >> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
    >>
    >> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
    >> has been delivered.
    >>
    >> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
    >> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).
    >>

    >Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
    >may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
    >mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
    >was business emails.

    Before Xtra hooked up with Yahoo, I got a phone call from someone with
    whom I was working on a project to ask why I hadn't responded to his
    emails. In those days, Xtra totally refused to admit any mistakes and
    spun a line about it being impossible for emails to be lost.

    Later, when I had proof that emails had been lost, they gave me a
    hefty credit on my account. Even so, they still refused to acknowledge
    that losing emails was not only possible, but obviously a problem -
    albeit a rare one.

    When Xtra turned over responsibility for email to Yahoo, I experienced
    so many problems that I've been subscribed to an independent email
    provider ever since (fastmail.net).

    Of course Xtra/Yahoo can lose emails.

    Donchano, Oct 20, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/10/12 16:55, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2012-10-20, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
    >>> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
    >>> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
    >>>
    >>> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
    >>> has been delivered.
    >>>
    >>> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
    >>> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).
    >>>

    >> Yahoo/Xtra is perfectly capable of dropping the email all by itself. It
    >> may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
    >> mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
    >> was business emails.
    >>

    > Tell us, apart from the content, what seperates business emails from
    > persoanl ones, or spam for that matter.

    The minimum difference is that businesses have a number that they can
    ring to get hold of someone who will care about the problem because that
    is their role. While an individual may call the help desk, the help desk
    person may try to help the person (and usually does), the help desk
    person is not employed to care about it (though many do, so far as the
    system lets them).

    In addition a business may be provided with dedicated servers or
    services and may be provided with logs. Also a higher level of backup of
    the mail server may be provided for a business user.

    This of course costs the business user big bucks.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 20, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On 20/10/12 13:13, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <k5shai$bqf$>, , Geopelia
    >>> says...

    >>> If an e-mail cannot be delivered (by an e-mail server), then it (the
    >>> server) will generate a response message back to to the sender -
    >>> hopefully with not too much of an esoteric message explaining why.
    >>>
    >>> So if your Brit sender has not got one of the above, then presumably, it
    >>> has been delivered.

    They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

    >>> So... check your Xtra spam (Junk) folder, both locally (Outlook
    >>> Express), and online, via Xtra's Webmail (as it may be in there).

    The spam comes on a page saying Yahoo. Is there another one for xtra? I
    googled xtra junk mail

    The emails aren't on the Yahoo one. Aren't Yahoo and xtra now the same
    firm?

    of dropping the email all by itself. It
    >>may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
    >>mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
    >>was business emails.

    These are private emails sent from a business address. (The sender owns the
    business).

    working on a project to ask why I hadn't responded to his
    > emails. In those days, Xtra totally refused to admit any mistakes and
    > spun a line about it being impossible for emails to be lost.
    >
    > Later, when I had proof that emails had been lost, they gave me a
    > hefty credit on my account. Even so, they still refused to acknowledge
    > that losing emails was not only possible, but obviously a problem -
    > albeit a rare one.
    >
    > When Xtra turned over responsibility for email to Yahoo, I experienced
    > so many problems that I've been subscribed to an independent email
    > provider ever since (fastmail.net).
    >
    > Of course Xtra/Yahoo can lose emails.

    It looks as though they are having a lot of problems. But I'm none the
    wiser. He re-sent the emails, so I expect we will just do that when there
    is a big gap.

    I found this website
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/7588923/No-guarantees-for-YahooXtra-email-service

    Thanks to all
    Geopelia

    Sorry this is pink, the computer has gone mad.

    Geopelia, Oct 20, 2012
  11. On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:39:25 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >
    >Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    >The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    >He did exactly what he always does.
    >
    >I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >
    >XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    Very normal the Internet is not 100% I always keep emails until they
    are replied to..

    Frank Williams, Oct 20, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:39:25 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >>
    >>Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    >>The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    >>He did exactly what he always does.
    >>
    >>I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >>
    >>XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.
    >>

    > Very normal the Internet is not 100% I always keep emails until they
    > are replied to..

    Yes, I keep the sent emails in case I have to resend them.

    Geopelia, Oct 20, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/10/12 19:06, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

    Well, technically it was delivered to the email servers, but it wasn't
    there when you checked later, so it got lost after it was delivered to
    the email servers. Your computer checks in to the Yahoo/Xtra email
    servers when you retrieve and read an email.

    It works like Post Office boxes do - a letter is sent by someone, sent
    through the system to the Post Office box and is then considered
    delivered to you. But you don't receive the letter until you have
    retrieved it from the PO box.

    > The spam comes on a page saying Yahoo. Is there another one for xtra? I
    > googled xtra junk mail
    >
    > The emails aren't on the Yahoo one. Aren't Yahoo and xtra now the same
    > firm?

    No, Yahoo runs email servers for Xtra.

    > of dropping the email all by itself. It
    >>> may have been delivered and then lost by Yahoo/Xtra. I seem to recall a
    >>> mention of email problems in the paper recently but I thought that that
    >>> was business emails.

    > These are private emails sent from a business address. (The sender owns the
    > business).

    As regards the 'private' versus 'business' emails thing, the business
    will only get preferential treatment if the business owner has paid for
    it. If the emails are private emails sent from a business account then
    the sender would have to go through business channels for it to be
    investigated. I'd suggest that they would not do that for a private
    email sent through a business account.

    Sending private emails through a business account could be considered
    dubious, but most employers wouldn't care (unless the employee was
    running a business through it of course).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 20, 2012
  14. On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:39:25 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >
    >Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    >The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    >He did exactly what he always does.
    >
    >I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >
    >XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.

    May be its the GCSB that is intercepting your mail, may be they think
    that Dot Com is one of your friends. -:)

    Frank Williams, Oct 20, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k5tf11$pia$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
    > > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

    Did you look?

    Try this page - login using your Xtra credentials...

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/webmail/

    And go to the Spam or Junk folder.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 21, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:52:15 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >In article <k5tf11$pia$>, , Geopelia
    >says...
    >>
    >> "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
    >> > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >> They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

    >Did you look?
    >
    >Try this page - login using your Xtra credentials...
    >
    >http://www.telecom.co.nz/webmail/
    >
    >And go to the Spam or Junk folder.

    Yup. That's where I discovered several hundred legitimate emails Yahoo
    had classified as spam. Just one of the reasons I dumped Xtra/Yahoo
    and use an independent email provider.

    I could also use a free email provider such as Gmail (webmail, POP3,
    IMAP & SMTP) and am considering it. From what I'm hearing hear and
    elsewhere, Xtra/Yahoo isn't going to be getting any more reliable.

    Donchano, Oct 21, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 21/10/12 18:09, Donchano wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:52:15 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> In article <k5tf11$pia$>, ,
    >> Geopelia says...
    >>>
    >>> "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    >>> They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

    >> Did you look?
    >>
    >> Try this page - login using your Xtra credentials...
    >>
    >> http://www.telecom.co.nz/webmail/
    >>
    >> And go to the Spam or Junk folder.

    > Yup. That's where I discovered several hundred legitimate emails
    > Yahoo had classified as spam. Just one of the reasons I dumped
    > Xtra/Yahoo and use an independent email provider.
    >
    > I could also use a free email provider such as Gmail (webmail, POP3,
    > IMAP & SMTP) and am considering it. From what I'm hearing hear and
    > elsewhere, Xtra/Yahoo isn't going to be getting any more reliable.

    Gmail works fine for me. But some people are worried by the security of
    their data with Google.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 21, 2012
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k5tf11$pia$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:54:48 +1300, Enkidu
    >> > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >> They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

    > Did you look?
    >
    > Try this page - login using your Xtra credentials...
    >
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/webmail/
    >
    > And go to the Spam or Junk folder.

    Thank you. I found that, but the missing emails are not there.

    I found a Trend Micro newsletter in the spam though, and marked it Not Spam.

    I can't find anything about allowing Trend micro messages. There is an entry
    in the index for "allow list" but it only involves blocking messages. Where
    do I look for allowing messages please?

    Geopelia, Oct 21, 2012
  19. Geopelia

    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:39:25 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Did anyone lose any emails from Britain in the last month or so?
    >>
    >>Two sent to me didn't arrive.
    >>The person who sent them is a computer expert, so it wasn't his mistake.
    >>He did exactly what he always does.
    >>
    >>I blame sunspots or the satellite. Or did xtra have any problems?
    >>
    >>XP, Outlook Express. But I don't think it was my computer.
    >>

    > May be its the GCSB that is intercepting your mail, may be they think
    > that Dot Com is one of your friends. -:)

    Ha! I've stuck up for Dot Com in a newsgroup, though I've never met him or
    had any dealings with him.
    Perhaps there is some government program that picks up all messages about
    him.
    The Americans are said to read all emails with bomb or gun in them (they
    must read this one!)

    But I think it's just Yahoo or Xtra making a mistake.
    They put a Trend Micro newsletter in the spam file. But the missing emails
    are not there.

    Geopelia, Oct 21, 2012
  20. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k60pgk$358$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <k5tf11$pia$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > >> They didn't get any message, and it wasn't delivered.

    > > Did you look?
    > >
    > > Try this page - login using your Xtra credentials...
    > >
    > > http://www.telecom.co.nz/webmail/
    > >
    > > And go to the Spam or Junk folder.
    > >

    > Thank you. I found that, but the missing emails are not there.
    >
    > I found a Trend Micro newsletter in the spam though, and marked it Not Spam.
    >
    > I can't find anything about allowing Trend micro messages. There is an entry
    > in the index for "allow list" but it only involves blocking messages. Where
    > do I look for allowing messages please?

    Typically, Spam/Junk folders have a small retention period. Perhaps a
    month, or maybe two. I don't know what Xtra's retention period is for
    the Junk/Spam folder. And I can't help with the allow bit either - I
    haven't visited any of their e-mail accounts on webmail for a couple
    years now. Hopefully someone else that uses Xtra (Yahoo) e-mail can
    help with the details. It might (should) be possible to even set the
    retention period. Perhaps your computer man can remote on and show you?

    Could be prudent to check the webmail Junk/Spam folder at least once a
    month.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 21, 2012