    Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there anyway
    of retrieving them?
    David Osman, May 16, 2006

  2. David Osman

    beenthere Guest

    "David Osman" <> wrote in message
    news:aSlag.181$...
    > Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    > tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
    > anyway of retrieving them?

    Connect the old hard drive (as a slave device) into your new box.
    then search for .dbx files on it.
    beenthere, May 16, 2006

  3. David Osman

    Gordon Guest

    David Osman wrote:

    > Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    > tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
    > anyway of retrieving them?

    From your backup perhaps?

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, May 16, 2006
  4. David Osman

    Mike Easter Guest

    David Osman wrote:
    > Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    > tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
    > anyway of retrieving them?

    They are on your old hdd. Whether you should try to get them yourself
    or pay someone else depends. It especially depends on whether or not
    the 'became terminal' was because of hdd failure.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 16, 2006
  5. David Osman

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-16, David Osman <> wrote:
    > Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    > tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there anyway
    > of retrieving them?

    If the old hard disc is still in working order, then yes. It can be
    removed from the computer case and connected to the new computer - either
    as a second HD inside the case, or by putting the old disc into a 'USB
    hard drive housing' so that you can plug it in to a USB socket. The
    latter arrangement is a pretty good method for keeping backups seperate
    from your computer. Maplin and PC World have suitable USB housings for
    hard discs; shop around.

    A local computer repair shop should be able to do it (and salvage anything
    else useful from the old machine) if you aren't happy to do it yourself.
    They may even be able to get the old machine running again.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 16, 2006
  6. David Osman

    Beck Guest

    "beenthere" <> wrote in message

    > "David Osman" <> wrote in message
    >> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    >> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
    >> anyway of retrieving them?

    > Connect the old hard drive (as a slave device) into your new box.
    > then search for .dbx files on it.

    That is a good answer but a note to the original poster that opening up his
    PC to add the drive will most likely invalidate his warranty.
    Beck, May 16, 2006
  7. David Osman

    me Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message

    > "beenthere" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Osman" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    >>> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
    >>> anyway of retrieving them?

    >> Connect the old hard drive (as a slave device) into your new box.
    >> then search for .dbx files on it.

    > That is a good answer but a note to the original poster that opening up
    > his PC to add the drive will most likely invalidate his warranty.

    How would they know?
    If he connects the old HD as a slave and then removes it afterwards.
    me, May 16, 2006
  8. David Osman

    Gordon Guest

    me wrote:

    > How would they know?
    > If he connects the old HD as a slave and then removes it afterwards.

    My new PC had a warranty seal across the case joint.......

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, May 16, 2006
  9. David Osman

    Beck Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message

    > How would they know?
    > If he connects the old HD as a slave and then removes it afterwards.

    If it has the "warranty void if broken" sticker on it :)
    Beck, May 16, 2006
  10. David Osman

    Peaches Guest

    > Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
    > tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
    > anyway of retrieving them?

    Hi Dave
    I wish I was in the position when my PC won't boot I could just go
    and buy another one, though most are relatively easy to fix.........
    May I suggest you place your dead PC for sale on ebay, the bidders
    are very trustworthy and just ask whoever buys it, to forward onto
    you all the emails they find in OE, just instruct them any banking
    details, passwords etc etc that they find to delete them.
    Regards
    Emma
    Peaches, May 16, 2006