Lost Disk Files ? Recovery Possible ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 13, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Oh, the joys of sharing a PC.

    Have two internal HD's in PC: C and F. Using XP.

    Other party uses Drive F, and has inadvertently run it down so that it is
    now totally full.
    No error message appeared, apparently, saying that drive was running low.

    Anyway, it seems all the files are lost on the F drive.

    Get an error message something to the effect of:

    "The disk in Drive F is not Formatted. Do you want to Format it
    now ?"

    Also another error message -

    "Windows delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save all
    the data for the file F:\\system volume
    Information\-restore {202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-
    051D24DDBF8F3} The data in Drive F has been lost"

    None of the files in F show up anymore in Windows Explorer.

    Going to My Computer\F shows the pie chart totally full, and there is a line
    that says there is no free space left, and all is used.

    I did try a System Restore to a date of a few days back, but this
    accomplished nothing.

    a. If it shows that the drive is totally full, doesn't that imply that the
    info. is still there ?

    b. Is there any way to get back the old files ?

    c. Why does it think it needs to re-formatted ?

    Might there be some "recovery" type of program available ?

    Obviously, any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

    Much thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jan 13, 2009

  2. Robert11 <> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > Oh, the joys of sharing a PC.
    >
    > Have two internal HD's in PC: C and F. Using XP.
    >
    > Other party uses Drive F, and has inadvertently run it down so that
    > it is now totally full.
    > No error message appeared, apparently, saying that drive was running
    > low.
    > Anyway, it seems all the files are lost on the F drive.
    >
    > Get an error message something to the effect of:
    >
    > "The disk in Drive F is not Formatted. Do you want to
    > Format it now ?"
    >
    > Also another error message -
    >
    > "Windows delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
    > all the data for the file F:\\system volume
    > Information\-restore {202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-
    > 051D24DDBF8F3} The data in Drive F has been lost"
    >
    > None of the files in F show up anymore in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Going to My Computer\F shows the pie chart totally full, and there is
    > a line that says there is no free space left, and all is used.
    >
    > I did try a System Restore to a date of a few days back, but this
    > accomplished nothing.
    >
    > a. If it shows that the drive is totally full, doesn't that imply
    > that the info. is still there ?
    >
    > b. Is there any way to get back the old files ?
    >
    > c. Why does it think it needs to re-formatted ?
    >
    > Might there be some "recovery" type of program available ?
    >
    > Obviously, any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

    Google is your friend until it's ready to turn on you.

    Lela McReynolds, Jan 13, 2009

  3. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Oh, the joys of sharing a PC.

    Do you two users have separate login accounts? Is it a dual-boot?

    > Have two internal HD's in PC: C and F. Using XP.

    Is there a D: or E: partition? Just curious...

    > Other party uses Drive F, and has inadvertently run it down so that it
    > is now totally full. No error message appeared, apparently, saying
    > that drive was running low.
    >
    > Anyway, it seems all the files are lost on the F drive. ...

    Some thoughts, ranked easiest to hardest:

    1. Boot the PC with a Linux LiveCD (Knoppix or Ubuntu) and attempt to
    copy the most precious files to free space on C:.

    2. Mount the drive in another PC (either as a slave or in an external
    HDD enclosure) and copy to CD/DVD.

    3. Take the drive to a data recovery center (but be sure to bring
    fistfuls of $/£/¤/¥.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    From OP: Re: Lost Disk Files ? Recovery Possible ?

    Hello,

    Not too sharp with this stuff.

    Exactly how would I do this, please ?

    Thanks again,
    Bob
    ----------------------

    Robert11, Jan 13, 2009
  5. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Re: From OP: Re: Lost Disk Files ? Recovery Possible ?

    Robert11 intoned:

    > Hewwo,

    > Not too shawp wif th-th-this stuff.

    > Exactwy how wouwd I do th-th-this, pwease ?

    > Danks again, Bob ---------------------- "Wookout"
    > <> wowte in message

    GOOGLE you lazy bastard!

    Robert11, Jan 13, 2009
  6. On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:24:10 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Oh, the joys of sharing a PC.
    >
    > Have two internal HD's in PC: C and F. Using XP.
    >
    > Other party uses Drive F, and has inadvertently run it down so that it is
    > now totally full.
    > No error message appeared, apparently, saying that drive was running low.
    >
    > Anyway, it seems all the files are lost on the F drive.
    >
    > Get an error message something to the effect of:
    >
    > "The disk in Drive F is not Formatted. Do you want to Format it
    > now ?"
    >
    > Also another error message -
    >
    > "Windows delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save all
    > the data for the file F:\\system volume
    > Information\-restore {202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-
    > 051D24DDBF8F3} The data in Drive F has been lost"
    >
    > None of the files in F show up anymore in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Going to My Computer\F shows the pie chart totally full, and there is a line
    > that says there is no free space left, and all is used.
    >
    > I did try a System Restore to a date of a few days back, but this
    > accomplished nothing.
    >
    > a. If it shows that the drive is totally full, doesn't that imply that the
    > info. is still there ?
    >
    > b. Is there any way to get back the old files ?
    >
    > c. Why does it think it needs to re-formatted ?
    >
    > Might there be some "recovery" type of program available ?
    >
    > Obviously, any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    It's been a long, long time, but IIRC, go to a DOS prompt and type in
    'move F:\*.* C:\temp\*.*'.

    You might try just one file to see if it works, that is, if you know the
    name of a particular file.

    Also, MOVE.ZIP might work; here:

    http://www.ctyme.com/download.htm

    But, as I said, it's been a very long time since I did Windoze, so wait
    and see if others think this is the correct syntax or have better advice.

    --
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

    -- Wizard Of Oz

    Gaston Ryan Coake, Jan 13, 2009
  7. Re: From OP: Re: Lost Disk Files ? Recovery Possible ?

    Lookout wrote:
    > Take it to some old guy who knows DOS. It's not something I can show
    > you in a few minutes.

    Wot, no 'F:\copy *.* C:\' ???

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 13, 2009
  8. Re: From OP: Re: Lost Disk Files ? Recovery Possible ?

    Lookout wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:06:02 -0700, §ñühw¤£f <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lookout wrote:
    >>> Take it to some old guy who knows DOS. It's not something I can show
    >>> you in a few minutes.
    >>>

    >> Wot, no 'F:\copy *.* C:\' ???

    > The chances of there being enough room on C: is questionable and I've
    > tried helping people with DOS over the phone and it got messy often.

    How to copy files is a hard grep on teh g00gle, too.

    http://www.easydos.com/copy.html
    http://www.computerhope.com/copyhlp.htm

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 14, 2009