    the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
    --
    Wombatwal

    Wombatwal, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Wombatwal

    eugene Guest

    "Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    news:yJKXf.22082$...

    > G'day all
    > Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
    > 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
    > The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
    > slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected to
    > another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
    > fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
    > afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
    > were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
    > amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
    > light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
    > --
    > Wombatwal

    I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and you
    should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.

    eugene, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Wombatwal

    Wombatwal Guest

    Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job very
    well at the moment. Wombatwal

    Wombatwal, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Wombatwal

    eugene Guest

    "Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job very
    > well at the moment. Wombatwal
    >
    > "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> G'day all
    >>> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
    >>> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
    >>> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
    >>> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected
    >>> to another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only
    >>> a fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
    >>> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
    >>> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
    >>> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone
    >>> shed light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in
    >>> advance.
    >>> --
    >>> Wombatwal
    >>>

    >> I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
    >> you should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.

    You are more than welcome.
    I photographed a wedding last year, using my EOS300D. Imagine my horror when
    I got home and discovered that 100 or so pics had "disappeared". I went
    online and discovered that this was a problem with certain memory cards and
    this program was recommended. It works just great.

    Eugene

    eugene, Apr 2, 2006
  5. Wombatwal

    m Ransley Guest

    You may have damaged the cards memory turning it off mid stream if you
    just hit the cameras power button. Get a recovery program.

    m Ransley, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Wombatwal

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "m Ransley" <> wrote in message
    > You may have damaged the cards memory turning it off mid stream if you
    > just hit the cameras power button. Get a recovery program.

    PC Inspector is good and glad to hear it's working for you.
    Another good freebie is:
    http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html

    I liked it a little better, but both plus others seem to work quite well.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 2, 2006
  7. Wombatwal

    Marvin Guest

    Wombatwal wrote:
    > Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job very
    > well at the moment. Wombatwal
    >
    > "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>G'day all
    >>>Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
    >>>512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
    >>>The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
    >>>slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected
    >>>to another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
    >>>fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
    >>>afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
    >>>were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
    >>>amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
    >>>light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in
    >>>advance.
    >>>--
    >>>Wombatwal
    >>>

    >>I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
    >>you should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.

    It's nice that you got your pictures. In the future, avoid
    the problem by never turning off the camera while it is
    reading from the card or writing to it. That way, you won't
    damage the file that keeps track of where the images are on
    the card.

    Marvin, Apr 2, 2006
  8. Wombatwal

    eugene Guest

    "Marvin" <> wrote in message
    > Wombatwal wrote:
    >> Thanks Eugene. I have downloaded the program and it is doing it's job
    >> very well at the moment. Wombatwal
    >>
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Wombatwal" <> wrote in message

    >>>I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
    >>>you should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
    >>>

    > It's nice that you got your pictures. In the future, avoid the problem by
    > never turning off the camera while it is reading from the card or writing
    > to it. That way, you won't damage the file that keeps track of where the
    > images are on the card.

    I have never done that. To the best of my recollection, the problem was,
    when the camera is reading and storing the information from a picture just
    taken, you should not view that picture! It can become a "white" file (or
    something worded like that). I had been viewing each pic as I took it and I
    knew that the missing wedding pics had to be somewhere because I definitely
    had seen them then. The info I got online suggested that this problem was
    exclusive to one particular make of card but it has happened to me on
    different occasions, but I don't get concerned anymore

    eugene, Apr 2, 2006
  9. Wombatwal

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:16:41 +0100, "eugene" <>
    wrote:

    >"Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> G'day all
    >> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
    >> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
    >> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
    >> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected to
    >> another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
    >> fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
    >> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
    >> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
    >> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
    >> light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
    >> --
    >> Wombatwal
    >>

    >I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and you
    >should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.

    Thanks for that info. Downloaded the program, works great, surprised
    that it recovered some pics that were supposed to have been erased
    weeks ago. Does this mean that a memory card does not get fully
    erased in the camera unlessa re-formatting is done?

    irwell, Apr 3, 2006
  10. Wombatwal

    Colin D Guest

    irwell wrote:

    > On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:16:41 +0100, "eugene" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> G'day all
    > >> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
    > >> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
    > >> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
    > >> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected to
    > >> another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
    > >> fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
    > >> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
    > >> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
    > >> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone shed
    > >> light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in advance.
    > >> --
    > >> Wombatwal
    > >>

    > >I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and you
    > >should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
    > >

    > Thanks for that info. Downloaded the program, works great, surprised
    > that it recovered some pics that were supposed to have been erased
    > weeks ago. Does this mean that a memory card does not get fully
    > erased in the camera unlessa re-formatting is done?

    Not even then. Erasing images simply marks the File Allocation Table
    (FAT) entry, thus marking the space where the image is on the card as
    free to use again. It doesn't actually remove the image. An in-camera
    format rewrites a fresh copy of the FAT tables, and the necessary
    folders required by the camera. It doesn't actually remove images
    either.

    The only way to actually remove an image is to overwrite it, either with
    another image, as in normal usage, or with some bulk erasing program
    that writes random data, or all zeroes, to every byte in the card.

    This, by the way, is how your hard drives work as well, and is how
    people with illegal images - some porn, for example, or people selling
    used computers and drives can get caught even if they think they have
    erased the files. All they did was to erase the FAT (or NTFS or
    whatever file system the computer uses) entries, which does not erase
    the files or images.

    Programs like PC Inspector ignore the FAT, and read the disk or card
    sequentially, finding files as it goes. Unless a file has been
    overwritten with other data, or byte strings designed to render the file
    non-readable, it can be found.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Apr 3, 2006
  11. Wombatwal

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:16:41 +0100, "eugene" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> G'day all
    >>> Got back from China today. Started to download my images from a XD card
    >>> 512Mb. I have a Fuji S5000 camera.
    >>> The card was nearly full. I connect to computer via USB, the images were
    >>> slow to come up on my computer so I turned the camera off and connected
    >>> another USB outlet. I then downloaded the images but there were only a
    >>> fraction of what I had taken. The images were all on my camera this
    >>> afternoon. There are now a lot of inaccessible files on my camera that
    >>> were not there before, some of them are empty whilst others have a large
    >>> amount of information. I assume these are my lost photos. Can anyone
    >>> shed
    >>> light on the problem and if I can get the images back. Thanks in
    >>> advance.
    >>> --
    >>> Wombatwal
    >>>

    >>I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and
    >>you
    >>should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
    >>

    > Thanks for that info. Downloaded the program, works great, surprised
    > that it recovered some pics that were supposed to have been erased
    > weeks ago. Does this mean that a memory card does not get fully
    > erased in the camera unlessa re-formatting is done?

    Yes and reformatting won't erase data area either, just sets filename and
    cluster table to zeroes.
    If you really want to erase data area so wife won't see naughty pictures,
    download freeware cw103.exe from PhotoRescue.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 3, 2006
  12. Wombatwal

    Paul Allen Guest

    Colin D wrote:

    > irwell wrote:
    >> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:16:41 +0100, "eugene" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Wombatwal" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> I use a free program called PC Inspector Smart Recovery. Download it and you
    >>> should be able to retrieve the shots from your card.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for that info. Downloaded the program, works great, surprised
    >> that it recovered some pics that were supposed to have been erased
    >> weeks ago. Does this mean that a memory card does not get fully
    >> erased in the camera unlessa re-formatting is done?

    > Not even then. Erasing images simply marks the File Allocation Table
    > (FAT) entry, thus marking the space where the image is on the card as
    > free to use again. It doesn't actually remove the image. An in-camera
    > format rewrites a fresh copy of the FAT tables, and the necessary
    > folders required by the camera. It doesn't actually remove images
    > either.

    Careful. We have Microsoft to thank for conflating the concepts
    of writing the low-level sector format on a device and writing a
    fileystem on a device onto the single term "formatting". My camera
    has two things it can do with a memory card: "Erase All" and "Format".
    The "Erase All" option initializes the filesystem, but leaves all of
    the data blocks alone. The directory has no files, but all of the
    images are still there. The "Format" option initializes the filesystem
    and writes ones on every block after the first 93Kb. (This is FAT16
    on a 128MB card.) Whatever was there before the format is utterly gone,
    unless perhaps the NSA really wants it back. (I'm not sure even the NSA
    can recover over-written bits on a flash device.)

    Other than that little niggle, you're generally right about how files
    work. Simple deletion just removes the pointer to the bits, leaving
    the bits sitting there until some other file's bits overwrite them.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Apr 3, 2006
  13. Wombatwal

    Colin D Guest

    Paul Allen wrote:

    > Colin D wrote:
    > >
    > > irwell wrote:

    > >> Thanks for that info. Downloaded the program, works great, surprised
    > >> that it recovered some pics that were supposed to have been erased
    > >> weeks ago. Does this mean that a memory card does not get fully
    > >> erased in the camera unlessa re-formatting is done?

    > > Not even then. Erasing images simply marks the File Allocation Table
    > > (FAT) entry, thus marking the space where the image is on the card as
    > > free to use again. It doesn't actually remove the image. An in-camera
    > > format rewrites a fresh copy of the FAT tables, and the necessary
    > > folders required by the camera. It doesn't actually remove images
    > > either.

    > Careful. We have Microsoft to thank for conflating the concepts
    > of writing the low-level sector format on a device and writing a
    > fileystem on a device onto the single term "formatting". My camera
    > has two things it can do with a memory card: "Erase All" and "Format".
    > The "Erase All" option initializes the filesystem, but leaves all of
    > the data blocks alone. The directory has no files, but all of the
    > images are still there. The "Format" option initializes the filesystem
    > and writes ones on every block after the first 93Kb. (This is FAT16
    > on a 128MB card.)

    That's unusual, to say the least. At that rate, I would expect your
    format to take some time, whereas format with the usual camera,
    including my 300D, is much quicker than multi-file erase, an indication
    that it is writing only the FAT and folders. What camera do you have?

    It would be interesting to run PC Inspector on one of your erased cards
    to see if the images are really gone.

    Colin D, Apr 3, 2006
  14. Wombatwal

    Paul Allen Guest

    Colin D wrote:

    > Paul Allen wrote:
    >> Colin D wrote:

    >> Careful. We have Microsoft to thank for conflating the concepts
    >> of writing the low-level sector format on a device and writing a
    >> fileystem on a device onto the single term "formatting". My camera
    >> has two things it can do with a memory card: "Erase All" and "Format".
    >> The "Erase All" option initializes the filesystem, but leaves all of
    >> the data blocks alone. The directory has no files, but all of the
    >> images are still there. The "Format" option initializes the filesystem
    >> and writes ones on every block after the first 93Kb. (This is FAT16
    >> on a 128MB card.)

    > That's unusual, to say the least. At that rate, I would expect your
    > format to take some time, whereas format with the usual camera,
    > including my 300D, is much quicker than multi-file erase, an indication
    > that it is writing only the FAT and folders. What camera do you have?

    Unusual? If you say so.

    My camera is an old Olympus C-700, and yes, a full format takes a minute
    or so because it's actually formatting the card. The "erase all" option
    just takes a couple seconds because all it has to do is wipe the FAT
    and create a couple directories. Has your 300D not got a "format the
    whole card" option?

    > It would be interesting to run PC Inspector on one of your erased cards
    > to see if the images are really gone.

    I don't run Windows, but I did the equivalent test before I posted.
    After the camera's "format" operation, the entire card after the first
    93KB was all ones. On the other hand, if I do an "erase all" on a card
    with images on it, there's a whole bunch of data on the card after the
    first 93KB. If I wanted to drag out the filesystem debugger, I could
    get the images off the card.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Apr 3, 2006
  15. Wombatwal

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Unusual? If you say so.
    >
    > My camera is an old Olympus C-700, and yes, a full format takes a minute
    > or so because it's actually formatting the card.

    My old Olympus does the same thing - if "format" is chosen, it wipes the
    data from the card, taking quite some time. On Canon (and many other)
    cameras, however, a format simply re-initializes the file system.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Apr 3, 2006
  16. Wombatwal

    Colin D Guest

    Steve Wolfe wrote:

    > > Unusual? If you say so.
    > >
    > > My camera is an old Olympus C-700, and yes, a full format takes a minute
    > > or so because it's actually formatting the card.

    > My old Olympus does the same thing - if "format" is chosen, it wipes the
    > data from the card, taking quite some time. On Canon (and many other)
    > cameras, however, a format simply re-initializes the file system.
    >
    > steve

    yes, that's right, and ok the Oly really erasing the card. You live and
    learn, I guess. Or, there's always the exception that proves the rule,
    so they say.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Apr 3, 2006
  17. Wombatwal

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:23:31 +1200, Colin D
    <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Steve Wolfe wrote:
    >>
    >> > Unusual? If you say so.
    >> >
    >> > My camera is an old Olympus C-700, and yes, a full format takes a minute
    >> > or so because it's actually formatting the card.

    >> My old Olympus does the same thing - if "format" is chosen, it wipes the
    >> data from the card, taking quite some time. On Canon (and many other)
    >> cameras, however, a format simply re-initializes the file system.
    >>
    >> steve

    >yes, that's right, and ok the Oly really erasing the card. You live and
    >learn, I guess. Or, there's always the exception that proves the rule,
    >so they say.
    >
    >Thanks for the replies.
    >
    >Colin D.

    One of the differences between "then" and "now" is that the older Olys
    used SM; a maximum of 128 megs.
    Now, with card formats capable of 8 GB (and higher in the
    not-too-distant future), an overwrite will take (much) longer, so it
    isn't an option in the camera.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Apr 3, 2006
  18. Wombatwal

    Wombatwal Guest

    Thanks all for your replies. I have saved most of my "shots" using PC
    Inspector Smart Recovery, did lose a few but better than most of them.
    Wombatwal

    Wombatwal, Apr 3, 2006
  19. Wombatwal

    cjcampbell Guest

    Wombatwal wrote:
    > Thanks all for your replies. I have saved most of my "shots" using PC
    > Inspector Smart Recovery, did lose a few but better than most of them.
    > Wombatwal

    Great. A commercial shareware example of such a program is Photorescue,
    which can sometimes even recover photos that have supposedly been
    "overwritten." There are limits, of course. I once use Photorescue to
    recover some photos on a card and it recovered 420 NEF files on a card
    that will only hold 360. That was impressive. Some of the pictures were
    two years old. A few of the pictures were obviously missing some data.

    cjcampbell, Apr 4, 2006
  20. Wombatwal

    cjcampbell Guest

    Colin D wrote:
    > Paul Allen wrote:

    > >The "Format" option initializes the filesystem
    > > and writes ones on every block after the first 93Kb. (This is FAT16
    > > on a 128MB card.)

    > That's unusual, to say the least. At that rate, I would expect your
    > format to take some time, whereas format with the usual camera,
    > including my 300D, is much quicker than multi-file erase, an indication
    > that it is writing only the FAT and folders. What camera do you have?

    I think my old Minolta A2 would do that, too. The complete format took
    a long time. Even then, I would not bet against someone being able to
    recover data from such a card.

    Photorescue makes a utility to make a card completely unreadable before
    you format it, if you need such a thing.

    I don't know how secure OS utilities like "Secure Empty Trash" are on
    the Mac or similar utilities on the PC. I know that some law
    enforcement agencies can go pretty deep into a hard drive and recover
    overwritten and scrambled data by looking for trace layers of magnetic
    bits, if they are willing to spend the resources.

    cjcampbell, Apr 4, 2006