    davo Guest

    I have Win XP SP2, I accidently deleted the desktop icon on the bottom tool
    bar. I need an easy way to get it back, please. Thanks

    davo, Apr 24, 2007

  2. davo

    sittingduck Guest

    sittingduck, Apr 24, 2007

  3. davo

    davo Guest

    "sittingduck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > davo wrote:
    >
    >> I have Win XP SP2, I accidently deleted the desktop icon on the bottom
    >> tool bar. I need an easy way to get it back, please. Thanks

    > Luckily some of us speak good no0b.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=show desktop quick launch

    Thank you--i'm a newbie (as if it didn't show) so I type this exactly as
    it is

    1. Click Start , click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
    2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop
    3. On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file to
    your desktop as Show Desktop.scf.

    Note Notepad might automatically append a .txt extension to the
    file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be Show
    Desktop.scf.

    Sorry, this kind of scares me--is there any way I can screw this up?
    Thanks for your patience

    davo, Apr 24, 2007
  4. davo wrote:

    > "sittingduck" <> wrote in message
    >> davo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have Win XP SP2, I accidently deleted the desktop icon on the bottom
    >>> tool bar. I need an easy way to get it back, please. Thanks

    >> Luckily some of us speak good no0b.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=show desktop quick launch

    > Thank you--i'm a newbie (as if it didn't show) so I type this exactly as
    > it is
    >
    > 1. Click Start , click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
    > 2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:
    > [Shell]
    > Command=2
    > IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    > [Taskbar]
    > Command=ToggleDesktop
    > 3. On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file to
    > your desktop as Show Desktop.scf.
    >
    > Note Notepad might automatically append a .txt extension to the
    > file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be Show
    > Desktop.scf.
    >
    > Sorry, this kind of scares me--is there any way I can screw this up?
    > Thanks for your patience

    Sure. There are ways to screw *anything* up. Look what you did to your
    original icon. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2007
  5. davo

    sittingduck Guest

    davo wrote:

    > Thank you--i'm a newbie (as if it didn't show) so I type this exactly
    > as
    > it is
    >
    > 1. Click Start , click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
    > 2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:
    > [Shell]
    > Command=2
    > IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    > [Taskbar]
    > Command=ToggleDesktop
    > 3. On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file
    > your desktop as Show Desktop.scf.
    >
    > Note Notepad might automatically append a .txt extension to
    > the
    > file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be
    > Show Desktop.scf.
    >

    > Sorry, this kind of scares me--is there any way I can screw this
    > up?
    > Thanks for your patience

    You will be fine. Just follow the directions to the letter, and you will have
    your icon back in no time.
    Make sure you unhide file extensions, in windows explorer (my computer) click
    Tools|Folder Options|View tab and uncheck "hide extensions for known file
    types". This will make it easier to recognize files. Uncheck "show hidden
    files" and "Hide protected operating system files" while you're at it. You
    could recheck those last two when you are done if you want.

    sittingduck, Apr 24, 2007
  6. davo

    davo Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > davo wrote:
    >>
    >> "sittingduck" <> wrote in message

    >>> Luckily some of us speak good no0b.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?q=show desktop quick launch

    >> Thank you--i'm a newbie (as if it didn't show) so I type this exactly
    >> as
    >> it is
    >>
    >> 1. Click Start , click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
    >> 2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >> 3. On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file to
    >> your desktop as Show Desktop.scf.
    >>
    >> Note Notepad might automatically append a .txt extension to
    >> the
    >> file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be Show
    >> Desktop.scf.
    >>
    >> Sorry, this kind of scares me--is there any way I can screw this
    >> up?
    >> Thanks for your patience

    > Sure. There are ways to screw *anything* up. Look what you did to your
    > original icon. :)

    hahahahahahahahaha, duh on me!

    davo, Apr 24, 2007
  7. davo wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> davo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "sittingduck" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you--i'm a newbie (as if it didn't show) so I type this exactly
    >>> as
    >>> it is
    >>>
    >>> 1. Click Start , click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
    >>> 2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:
    >>> [Shell]
    >>> Command=2
    >>> IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    >>> [Taskbar]
    >>> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>> 3. On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file to
    >>> your desktop as Show Desktop.scf.
    >>>
    >>> Note Notepad might automatically append a .txt extension to
    >>> the
    >>> file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be Show
    >>> Desktop.scf.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, this kind of scares me--is there any way I can screw this
    >>> up?
    >>> Thanks for your patience

    >> Sure. There are ways to screw *anything* up. Look what you did to your
    >> original icon. :)

    > hahahahahahahahaha, duh on me!

    Thanks for taking my comment in the spirit of good-natured humor with which it
    was intended. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2007
  8. davo

    > davo wrote:
    >>
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sure. There are ways to screw *anything* up. Look what you did to your
    >>> original icon. :)

    >> hahahahahahahahaha, duh on me!

    > Thanks for taking my comment in the spirit of good-natured humor with
    > which it
    > was intended. :)

    Well, it did crack me up--however, I still haven't re-created the damn
    thing yet--there's just something in my brain that scares the shit outa me
    whenever I have to do anything other than turn the fk'n thing on--your
    comment made me see how ridiculous my paranoia is....but again...new
    thing...not done yet

    davo, Apr 24, 2007
  9. davo

    > davo wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you--i'm a newbie (as if it didn't show) so I type this exactly
    >> as
    >> it is
    >>
    >> 1. Click Start , click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
    >> 2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >> 3. On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the file
    >> your desktop as Show Desktop.scf.
    >>
    >> Note Notepad might automatically append a .txt extension to
    >> the
    >> file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be
    >> Show Desktop.scf.
    >>

    >> Sorry, this kind of scares me--is there any way I can screw this
    >> up?
    >> Thanks for your patience

    > You will be fine. Just follow the directions to the letter, and you will
    > have
    > your icon back in no time.
    > Make sure you unhide file extensions, in windows explorer (my computer)
    > click
    > Tools|Folder Options|View tab and uncheck "hide extensions for known file
    > types". This will make it easier to recognize files. Uncheck "show hidden
    > files" and "Hide protected operating system files" while you're at it. You
    > could recheck those last two when you are done if you want.

    Thanks so much--I feel like the stereotypical dumb female about this
    stuff (yea, I know, politically incorrect), and i still haven't done it, but
    I WILL ! (ummmm maybe tomorrow!) Thanks for the tips too

    davo, Apr 24, 2007
  10. davo wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> davo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> hahahahahahahahaha, duh on me!

    >> Thanks for taking my comment in the spirit of good-natured humor with
    >> which it
    >> was intended. :)

    > Well, it did crack me up--however, I still haven't re-created the damn
    > thing yet--there's just something in my brain that scares the shit outa me
    > whenever I have to do anything other than turn the fk'n thing on--your
    > comment made me see how ridiculous my paranoia is....but again...new
    > thing...not done yet

    Being paranoid doesn't mean that Windows *isn't* out to get you; they
    could be two separate issues. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2007
  11. davo

    Ben Myers Guest

    "davo" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have Win XP SP2, I accidently deleted the desktop icon on the bottom tool
    > bar. I need an easy way to get it back, please. Thanks

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190355

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Apr 24, 2007
  12. Ahem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    "davo" <> wrote

    <schnippen>

    > Thanks so much--I feel like the stereotypical dumb female about

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 24, 2007
  13. davo

    dadiOH Guest

    davo wrote:
    > I have Win XP SP2, I accidently deleted the desktop icon on the
    > bottom tool bar. I need an easy way to get it back, please. Thanks

    Perhaps you don't really need it. In Win98, just press WinKey + D to
    show desktop, repeat to reinstate whatever you had up. Try and see if
    XP will do the same.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Apr 24, 2007
  14. davo

    Ed Propes Guest

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:49:01 -0700, davo wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> davo wrote:
    >>>

    >> Thanks for taking my comment in the spirit of good-natured humor with
    >> which it
    >> was intended. :)

    > Well, it did crack me up--however, I still haven't re-created the damn
    > thing yet--there's just something in my brain that scares the shit outa me
    > whenever I have to do anything other than turn the fk'n thing on--your
    > comment made me see how ridiculous my paranoia is....but again...new
    > thing...not done yet

    Just keep your fingers away from his mouth and he's a friendly shark.

    Ed Propes, Apr 25, 2007