Lost control panel for Infrared Devices

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jericho, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. Jericho

    Jericho Guest

    I no longer see or have access to a control panel for my latop's (Evo
    N800c) infrared device. Applications don't see it, nor do external
    devices invoke any response from my laptop.

    BIOS for infrared is ON.
    Device Manager Shows a working IRDA Fast infrared port. Uninstalled
    and resinstalled it again successfully. Fiddled with Infrared
    Transeiver Settings based on other research without effect.
    Infrared Monitor Service shows STARTED.
    Wireless Zero Configuration Service running properly...
    Looked at individual drivers and components, and all seem present
    and intact (irda.sys, irmon.dll, irprops.cpl and irftp.exe) are binary
    match the versions in the SP1 driver cab file.
    Tried to start the control panel directly (connect infrared, connect
    irpropos.cpl,,, etc).

    Panel never appears and no error messages or event log entries.

    I suspect it broke either when I updated the latop for WPA wireless
    protocols, but I'm absolutely sure. Had tried to update from XP SP1 to
    XP SP2, for seperate reasons, backed out the change. Didn't see it
    while running SP2 either!

    In googling around I see some other people with similair problems, but
    no complete solution.

    Any suggestions?

    Jericho

    Jericho, Nov 20, 2005

  2. "Jericho" <> wrote in message
    >I no longer see or have access to a control panel for my latop's (Evo
    > N800c) infrared device. Applications don't see it, nor do external
    > devices invoke any response from my laptop.
    >
    > BIOS for infrared is ON.
    > Device Manager Shows a working IRDA Fast infrared port. Uninstalled
    > and resinstalled it again successfully. Fiddled with Infrared
    > Transeiver Settings based on other research without effect.
    > Infrared Monitor Service shows STARTED.
    > Wireless Zero Configuration Service running properly...
    > Looked at individual drivers and components, and all seem present
    > and intact (irda.sys, irmon.dll, irprops.cpl and irftp.exe) are binary
    > match the versions in the SP1 driver cab file.
    > Tried to start the control panel directly (connect infrared, connect
    > irpropos.cpl,,, etc).
    >
    > Panel never appears and no error messages or event log entries.
    >

    > I suspect it broke either when I updated the latop for WPA wireless
    > protocols, but I'm absolutely sure. Had tried to update from XP SP1 to
    > XP SP2, for seperate reasons, backed out the change. Didn't see it
    > while running SP2 either!
    >
    > In googling around I see some other people with similair problems, but
    > no complete solution.
    >

    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Jericho

    Did you try a system restore, presuming you discovered this not very long
    ago and haven't made any desired changes since then?

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Nov 20, 2005

  3. Jericho

    wa2flq Guest

    I looked into that.

    Unfortunately it was a few weeks between time time I last used infrared
    and noticed it was gone. There isn't a restored point far enough back.

    wa2flq, Nov 20, 2005
  4. Jericho

    wa2flq Guest

    Yes, I looked into that. Between the time I was used Infrared and
    when I detected it was broken, more that a month had gone by. I didn't
    have a restore point going back that far.

    wa2flq, Nov 20, 2005
  5. I doubt that it's it, but there's KB896984--"The Wireless Link icon does not
    appear in the notification area...", get to it via
    http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/comms/infrared/Microsoft KB articles on infrared subjects.html

    However logging on as administrator would have solved it, and it applies to
    SP2, but maybe your machine is part SP2... Why did you rollback from SP2?
    --
    Alan J. McFarlane
    http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBKLiBNY0ZhcmxhbmU=?=, Nov 21, 2005