    secure. Seems weird that *both* should have been affected.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 11, 2007

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:23:18 +0000
    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    > I spent some hours a couple of days ago adding comments to a set of 50
    > or so JPG photos in IrfanView. I also copied each comment to the IPTC
    > Caption field for extra protection.
    >
    > I've been working on these JPGs in several programs. Editing with both
    > IrfanView and PaintShop Pro 8, and some minor editing in a program
    > called MemoriesOnTV, which I'm using to prepare a DVD from the JPGs.
    > Just discovered that all the comments are gone ;-(
    >
    > Most are empty, but some have rubbish. Turning to the IPTC caption -
    > that too is empty.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas as to how this might have happened please? I've
    > had trouble with JPG Comments getting lost or corrupted before,
    > although never understood why. Yet I'd thought IPTC data was pretty
    > secure. Seems weird that *both* should have been affected.

    I'm afraid I'm going to have to put my "Obvious Man" hat on for this
    one. One or more of your image editing tools is not handling IPTC
    tags properly, obviously.

    The way to discover which one is at fault is to tag up an image the
    way you want, and then edit it with each of your tools, saving it to
    a different new file each time. Then examine each of the new files
    to see if your tags are still there. You will be enlightened.

    The scientific method is your friend.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Feb 11, 2007

  3. David Gilbert <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:23:18 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone have any ideas as to how this might have happened please? I've
    >>had trouble with JPG Comments getting lost or corrupted before,
    >>although never understood why. Yet I'd thought IPTC data was pretty
    >>secure. Seems weird that *both* should have been affected.

    >To quote " Until now PSP8 editing has caused ITPC data to
    >be lost." that's where your problem lies.

    Thanks both. It is indeed down to PSP 8. I'd used one of my favourite
    PSP 8 editing features (Auto Contrast) on most of the files, having
    forgotten that the program cleverly zaps all metadata when saving a
    file.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 12, 2007