    someone at microsoft to verify unregistered version and to get his key,
    otherwise what is the point?

    Thanks

    dej, Oct 27, 2004

  2. dej

    Dan Evans Guest

    "dej" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My son lost his key for his winxp.

    How is it possible to loose a key that is stuck to the computer case?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 27, 2004

  3. dej

    Ionizer Guest

    "dej" <> wrote in message
    > My son lost his key for his winxp. Reformated his hard drive before he

    did
    > this. I don't think he even installed the xp in the first place. Is

    there
    > a phone number, etc that doesn't charge $35 per hour for him to talk to
    > someone at microsoft to verify unregistered version and to get his key,
    > otherwise what is the point?

    There are a number of key finders out there, for instance:
    http://www.angelfire.com/va3/vic3/winkeys.htm

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 27, 2004
  4. dej

    Don Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "dej" <> wrote in message
    >> My son lost his key for his winxp.

    > How is it possible to loose a key that is stuck to the computer case?
    >
    > Dan

    The key wasn't stuck you my computers case when I bought it.
    It was on a torn bit of cellophane paper wrapped around the XP disc.
    Had I not been very careful I could easily of lost it.

    If he cannot get a replacement key from Microsoft he will have to cheat and
    get a pirated key from one of the hack and crack sites. As long as he has an
    original Windows CD then I doubt anyone is going to worry about it.

    Don, Oct 27, 2004
  5. These key finders only work on installed systems they do not find the key
    from the CD.
    You really need the key for your version of XP and then you need to activate
    it.
    If you have installed and activated it before then maybe you should contact
    microsoft.

    http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=7862

    Regards.
    Mike.

    michael davis, Oct 27, 2004
  6. dej

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Don" <mailto:> wrote in message

    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "dej" <> wrote in message
    > >> My son lost his key for his winxp.

    > > How is it possible to loose a key that is stuck to the computer case?
    > >
    > > Dan

    > The key wasn't stuck you my computers case when I bought it.
    > It was on a torn bit of cellophane paper wrapped around the XP disc.
    > Had I not been very careful I could easily of lost it.

    Which is why they are adhesive, and just above the sticker is the following
    notice (Translated from Spanish, SP1a Pro, package).

    "It is neccesary to stick this certificate of authenticity to the exterior
    of your PC"

    The instruction pamphlet . I hesitate to use the word "manual", states on
    the rear cover "The Manufacturer of your PC has removed the Certificate of
    Authenticity. You will find it stuck to the computer" (Spanish SP1a Home),
    or "The certificate of authenticty label has been removed by your PC
    manufacturer and should be attached to your PC. (English 1a Pro). I'm not
    sure what Spanish 1a Pro says on the cover as it is a stock item and still
    wrapped up.

    All in all, quite clear that the sticker, which you had, should be fixed to
    the PC case. How come you "... could easily have lost it"? You have lost it
    by not following the instructions.

    > If he cannot get a replacement key from Microsoft he will have to cheat

    and
    > get a pirated key from one of the hack and crack sites.

    Have you rung the product activation telephone number as explained the
    situation to them?

    > As long as he has an
    > original Windows CD then I doubt anyone is going to worry about it.

    Nope, install media can be had quite easily from MS. You buy the licence to
    use the software, not the software itself.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 27, 2004
  7. dej

    zaax Guest

    In article <>, dej
    <> writes
    >My son lost his key for his winxp. Reformated his hard drive before he did
    >this. I don't think he even installed the xp in the first place. Is there
    >a phone number, etc that doesn't charge $35 per hour for him to talk to
    >someone at microsoft to verify unregistered version and to get his key,
    >otherwise what is the point?

    You could try to recover the data from the hard drive
    --
    Zaax
    http://www.ukgatsos.com

    zaax, Oct 28, 2004