Lost CD driver

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Axel, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Axel

    Axel Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP and can boot up with my XP CD. So the CD is going.. But I
    > cannot access my CD in XP. And yes the CD drive has a yellow exclamation in
    > the Device Manager.. I belive I need to uninstall the driver and then
    > re-install it. How can I do this when I cannot access the CD. I have search
    > the internet for my Driver. I have even gone to DriverGuide.com but have had
    > no luck. The CD is a sony and the driver it wants is CRX1611.
    >
    > Advice Please....

    Select the item with the yellow exclamation mark, right click remove it
    and reboot and see if it detects and re installs the drive.

    Axel, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Axel

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 20 Jan
    2005 21:41:44 -0800, Peter <> says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP and can boot up with my XP CD. So the CD is going.. But I
    > cannot access my CD in XP. And yes the CD drive has a yellow exclamation in
    > the Device Manager.. I belive I need to uninstall the driver and then
    > re-install it. How can I do this when I cannot access the CD. I have search
    > the internet for my Driver. I have even gone to DriverGuide.com but have had
    > no luck. The CD is a sony and the driver it wants is CRX1611.

    XP typically does not require drivers for most cd drives
    look at the properties in device manager and see what is stated - it
    could be a resource conflict
    there is a button there you can click to make it update its driver

    Adder, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Axel

    Mercury Guest

    http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/drivers/41/41122.htm

    ?

    Mercury, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Axel

    SteveM Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in news::

    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP and can boot up with my XP CD. So the CD is going..
    > But I cannot access my CD in XP. And yes the CD drive has a yellow
    > exclamation in the Device Manager.. I belive I need to uninstall the
    > driver and then re-install it. How can I do this when I cannot access
    > the CD. I have search the internet for my Driver. I have even gone to
    > DriverGuide.com but have had no luck. The CD is a sony and the driver
    > it wants is CRX1611.
    >
    > Advice Please....

    Go to device manager and delete the IDE channel that the CDrom drive
    is attached to (hopefully secondary) and reboot?

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jan 20, 2005
  5. More suggestions:

    Check your IDE ATA/ATAPI controller in Device Manager. If the
    controller, and the primary and secondary IDE channels, are fine, then
    try another CD-ROM drive. Although it's odd that bootable CDs work
    fine.

    Try a Knoppix CD to see whether the CD is detected in Knoppix.
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

    Steve Marshall, Jan 20, 2005
  6. Axel

    Joy Guest

    Sometimes drivers can be in unexpected places within the operating system
    and you need to help by manually finding it first so that you can point to
    it from device manager.
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 20, 2005
  7. Peter wrote:
    >>Select the item with the yellow exclamation mark, right click remove it
    >>and reboot and see if it detects and re installs the drive.

    > Tried but didnt work........Thx

    whats the error number listed in the properties of the drive?

    Peter, Jan 21, 2005
  9. Axel

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jan 21, 2005
  10. Axel

    Peter Guest

    "Adder" <> wrote in message
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 20 Jan
    > 2005 21:41:44 -0800, Peter <> says...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am running XP and can boot up with my XP CD. So the CD is going.. But I
    >> cannot access my CD in XP. And yes the CD drive has a yellow exclamation
    >> in
    >> the Device Manager.. I belive I need to uninstall the driver and then
    >> re-install it. How can I do this when I cannot access the CD. I have
    >> search
    >> the internet for my Driver. I have even gone to DriverGuide.com but have
    >> had
    >> no luck. The CD is a sony and the driver it wants is CRX1611.

    > XP typically does not require drivers for most cd drives
    > look at the properties in device manager and see what is stated - it
    > could be a resource conflict
    > there is a button there you can click to make it update its driver

    Tried but didnt work........Much appreciated...

    Peter, Jan 21, 2005
  11. Axel

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:48:07 +1300, Steve Marshall wrote:

    > Try a Knoppix CD to see whether the CD is detected in Knoppix.
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

    Will this not be under different conditions though? ie booting from a CD
    cuts out the problems which may exist on the HD, so to speak.

    Gordon, Jan 22, 2005
  12. Axel

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:41:44 -0800, Peter wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP and can boot up with my XP CD. So the CD is going.. But I
    > cannot access my CD in XP.

    FWIW, have your re-installed your MB drivers? One of the bridges may have
    fallen down. In win 98 it does help. Just a thought.

    Gordon, Jan 22, 2005