    any way to to a clean boot without
    the floppy... or recreate the floppy possibly ?
    .... TIA... Andrew.

    desoto, Sep 11, 2004

  2. desoto

    Brian Guest

    www.bootdisk.de (its in english.. don't worry)

    Brian, Sep 11, 2004

  3. desoto

    > Tiny PIII 450 W98se
    > I've lost my boot floppy... but still
    > have my W98se disk ... is there
    > any way to to a clean boot without
    > the floppy... or recreate the floppy possibly ?
    > .... TIA... Andrew.

    btw. you will be downloading an .exe file which formats and creates the boot
    floppy. make sure you have a floppy in the drive before executing. the site
    is very reliable (have used it many a time) you need to click the link for
    "Windows 98 SE" and on the following page "Bootdisk Standard".. then the top
    link for 95/98/98SE/ME.. then the 3Rd link for 98 OEM (don't worry it
    supports 98 SE. the win 98 Se link is f*cked). on that page rate the file if
    wished and bottom link "download file here" your wboot98.exe will now
    download.

    Brian, Sep 11, 2004
  4. desoto

    Old Gringo Guest

    desoto wrote:
    > Tiny PIII 450 W98se
    > I've lost my boot floppy... but still
    > have my W98se disk ... is there
    > any way to to a clean boot without
    > the floppy... or recreate the floppy possibly ?
    > .... TIA... Andrew.

    Win98 will make the disk however my short term memory banks are not
    working to tell you the easy way. OPTION: using find files folders,
    type in BootDisk when the icon shows up in the find. just click it
    and follow the instructions in dos.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Sep 11, 2004
  5. desoto

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:07:00 +0000 (UTC), "desoto"
    <> wrote:

    >Tiny PIII 450 W98se
    >I've lost my boot floppy... but still
    > have my W98se disk ... is there
    > any way to to a clean boot without
    > the floppy... or recreate the floppy possibly ?
    > .... TIA... Andrew.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Add/Remove Programs",
    click the tab, "Startup Disk", click the "Create Disk" button.

    Unk, Sep 11, 2004
  6. desoto

    Old Gringo Guest

    Unk wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:07:00 +0000 (UTC), "desoto"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Tiny PIII 450 W98se
    >>I've lost my boot floppy... but still
    >>have my W98se disk ... is there
    >>any way to to a clean boot without
    >>the floppy... or recreate the floppy possibly ?
    >>.... TIA... Andrew.
    >>

    > Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Add/Remove Programs",
    > click the tab, "Startup Disk", click the "Create Disk" button.

    That's it UNK, couldn't remember that to save my ass. :)

    Old Gringo, Sep 11, 2004
  7. desoto

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Sep 11, 2004
  8. desoto

    desoto Guest

    > >> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Add/Remove Programs",
    > >> click the tab, "Startup Disk", click the "Create Disk" button.
    > >>

    > >That's it UNK, couldn't remember that to save my ass. :)

    ok.... i've created a startup disk successfully... when i'm booting
    with it though... every thing seems to go ok... it verifies all
    the drives.. but before windows loads it just sits there with
    a reply cursor for drive A, where the boot floppy is...
    my old disk didn't do this this... what do i reply here...
    if i try removing the floppy and hitting any key it demands
    the drive be readied... more TIA.. Andrew.

    desoto, Sep 11, 2004
  9. desoto

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:33:34 +0000 (UTC), "desoto"
    <> wrote:

    >> >That's it UNK, couldn't remember that to save my ass. :)

    >ok.... i've created a startup disk successfully... when i'm booting
    > with it though... every thing seems to go ok... it verifies all
    > the drives.. but before windows loads it just sits there with
    >a reply cursor for drive A, where the boot floppy is...
    > my old disk didn't do this this... what do i reply here...
    > if i try removing the floppy and hitting any key it demands
    > the drive be readied... more TIA.. Andrew.

    You asked for a boot floppy. That's a boot floppy.
    You are at a DOS prompt on the A drive.

    Just what are you trying to do?

    Try reading the information here, and then post back
    with more details. http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Unk, Sep 11, 2004
  10. desoto

    Hamman Guest

    "desoto" <> wrote in message

    >> >That's it UNK, couldn't remember that to save my ass. :)

    > ok.... i've created a startup disk successfully... when i'm booting
    > with it though... every thing seems to go ok... it verifies all
    > the drives.. but before windows loads it just sits there with
    > a reply cursor for drive A, where the boot floppy is...
    > my old disk didn't do this this... what do i reply here...
    > if i try removing the floppy and hitting any key it demands
    > the drive be readied... more TIA.. Andrew.

    Assuming you have CD-ROM drivers on the boot disk, type d:\setup.exe where d
    is the CD drive inder >DOS< (which may be different to windows)

    hamman

    Hamman, Sep 11, 2004
  11. desoto

    Old Gringo Guest

    desoto wrote:

    >>>That's it UNK, couldn't remember that to save my ass. :)

    > ok.... i've created a startup disk successfully... when i'm booting
    > with it though... every thing seems to go ok... it verifies all
    > the drives.. but before windows loads it just sits there with
    > a reply cursor for drive A, where the boot floppy is...
    > my old disk didn't do this this... what do i reply here...
    > if i try removing the floppy and hitting any key it demands
    > the drive be readied... more TIA.. Andrew.

    If your Operating System is installed, at the A:\> type C: and hit
    enter. If your OS is installed When you get the C:\> prompt type win
    and hit enter. If there is no OS on the hard drive then the floppy
    had installed the drivers to D:\ and moved the CD to drive E:\ If
    when you start the computer with the floppy disk be sure to select
    start with cd rom support when ask. This will install the necessary
    drivers. after this is done and the computer is started go to the
    E:\ prompt and type in setup.exe You may have to reinsert the OS cd
    and hit the enter key for the setup.exe while the lights on the cd
    are blinking.

    Old Gringo, Sep 12, 2004
  12. desoto

    desoto Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote in message

    > > ok.... i've created a startup disk successfully... when i'm booting
    > > with it though... every thing seems to go ok... it verifies all
    > > the drives.. but before windows loads it just sits there with
    > > a reply cursor for drive A, where the boot floppy is...
    > > my old disk didn't do this this... what do i reply here...
    > > if i try removing the floppy and hitting any key it demands
    > > the drive be readied... more TIA.. Andrew.
    > >

    > If your Operating System is installed, at the A:\> type C: and hit
    > enter. If your OS is installed When you get the C:\> prompt type win
    > and hit enter. If there is no OS on the hard drive then the floppy
    > had installed the drivers to D:\ and moved the CD to drive E:\ If
    > when you start the computer with the floppy disk be sure to select
    > start with cd rom support when ask. This will install the necessary
    > drivers. after this is done and the computer is started go to the
    > E:\ prompt and type in setup.exe You may have to reinsert the OS cd
    > and hit the enter key for the setup.exe while the lights on the cd
    > are blinking.
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo George.....

    thanks for the help gringo... but....
    I selected option 1 to support cdrom drives.... ok....loaded
    a temp drive D: and verified my E: and F: drives..
    when I type 'win' at the C:\ prompt I'm told its a bad command...
    when i type 'setup.exe' at the E:\ prompt (since drivers were loaded
    to a temp D: drive) i'm told this.....
    'Please wait while setup initialises...windows setup requires "largest
    executable program size" to be at least 442368kb to run'
    in both cases the prompt just remains and nothing happens....

    desoto, Sep 12, 2004
  13. desoto

    Old Gringo Guest

    desoto wrote:
    > Old Gringo <> wrote in message

    >>>ok.... i've created a startup disk successfully... when i'm booting
    >>> with it though... every thing seems to go ok... it verifies all
    >>> the drives.. but before windows loads it just sits there with
    >>>a reply cursor for drive A, where the boot floppy is...
    >>> my old disk didn't do this this... what do i reply here...
    >>> if i try removing the floppy and hitting any key it demands
    >>> the drive be readied... more TIA.. Andrew.
    >>>

    >>If your Operating System is installed, at the A:\> type C: and hit
    >>enter. If your OS is installed When you get the C:\> prompt type win
    >>and hit enter. If there is no OS on the hard drive then the floppy
    >>had installed the drivers to D:\ and moved the CD to drive E:\ If
    >>when you start the computer with the floppy disk be sure to select
    >>start with cd rom support when ask. This will install the necessary
    >>drivers. after this is done and the computer is started go to the
    >>E:\ prompt and type in setup.exe You may have to reinsert the OS cd
    >>and hit the enter key for the setup.exe while the lights on the cd
    >>are blinking.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George.....

    > thanks for the help gringo... but....
    > I selected option 1 to support cdrom drives.... ok....loaded
    > a temp drive D: and verified my E: and F: drives..
    > when I type 'win' at the C:\ prompt I'm told its a bad command...
    > when i type 'setup.exe' at the E:\ prompt (since drivers were loaded
    > to a temp D: drive) i'm told this.....
    > 'Please wait while setup initialises...windows setup requires "largest
    > executable program size" to be at least 442368kb to run'
    > in both cases the prompt just remains and nothing happens....

    It's gone beyond my further knowledge, at this point I have always
    gotten a clean install of win9x. There will be some pro's along to
    help you further. Sorry I can be of no further help.

    Old Gringo, Sep 12, 2004
  14. desoto

    Alan G Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:11:25 +0000 (UTC), "desoto"
    <> wrote:

    >Old Gringo <> wrote in message

    >> > ok.... i've created a startup disk successfully... when i'm booting
    >> > with it though... every thing seems to go ok... it verifies all
    >> > the drives.. but before windows loads it just sits there with
    >> > a reply cursor for drive A, where the boot floppy is...
    >> > my old disk didn't do this this... what do i reply here...
    >> > if i try removing the floppy and hitting any key it demands
    >> > the drive be readied... more TIA.. Andrew.
    >> >

    >> If your Operating System is installed, at the A:\> type C: and hit
    >> enter. If your OS is installed When you get the C:\> prompt type win
    >> and hit enter. If there is no OS on the hard drive then the floppy
    >> had installed the drivers to D:\ and moved the CD to drive E:\ If
    >> when you start the computer with the floppy disk be sure to select
    >> start with cd rom support when ask. This will install the necessary
    >> drivers. after this is done and the computer is started go to the
    >> E:\ prompt and type in setup.exe You may have to reinsert the OS cd
    >> and hit the enter key for the setup.exe while the lights on the cd
    >> are blinking.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo George.....

    >thanks for the help gringo... but....
    > I selected option 1 to support cdrom drives.... ok....loaded
    > a temp drive D: and verified my E: and F: drives..
    >when I type 'win' at the C:\ prompt I'm told its a bad command...
    >when i type 'setup.exe' at the E:\ prompt (since drivers were loaded
    > to a temp D: drive) i'm told this.....
    >'Please wait while setup initialises...windows setup requires "largest
    > executable program size" to be at least 442368kb to run'
    > in both cases the prompt just remains and nothing happens....

    see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289727

    Alan G, Sep 12, 2004
  15. desoto

    desoto Guest

    Alan G <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:11:25 +0000 (UTC), "desoto"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Old Gringo <> wrote in message

    > >> If your Operating System is installed, at the A:\> type C: and hit
    > >> enter. If your OS is installed When you get the C:\> prompt type win
    > >> and hit enter. If there is no OS on the hard drive then the floppy
    > >> had installed the drivers to D:\ and moved the CD to drive E:\ If
    > >> when you start the computer with the floppy disk be sure to select
    > >> start with cd rom support when ask. This will install the necessary
    > >> drivers. after this is done and the computer is started go to the
    > >> E:\ prompt and type in setup.exe You may have to reinsert the OS cd
    > >> and hit the enter key for the setup.exe while the lights on the cd
    > >> are blinking.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Old Gringo George.....

    > >thanks for the help gringo... but....
    > > I selected option 1 to support cdrom drives.... ok....loaded
    > > a temp drive D: and verified my E: and F: drives..
    > >when I type 'win' at the C:\ prompt I'm told its a bad command...
    > >when i type 'setup.exe' at the E:\ prompt (since drivers were loaded
    > > to a temp D: drive) i'm told this.....
    > >'Please wait while setup initialises...windows setup requires "largest
    > > executable program size" to be at least 442368kb to run'
    > > in both cases the prompt just remains and nothing happens....
    > >

    > see
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289727

    I followed the advice from that site... cheers...
    I check option 1 to support CDROM...then
    it advises running a scandisk from the dos prompt
    i tried this but the surface scan fails due to .......
    "there is not enough conventional memory to
    perform a surface scan... you may need to remark
    (REM) some device drivers from your config.sys file
    or you may need to load EMM386.exe to load
    your other device drivers...."
    I've checked the c drive with updated AVG
    and no viruses are found... can't i just reformat
    my hard drive then boot off the floppy i created...?

    desoto, Sep 12, 2004