    way to salvage them?

    Thank you.

    , May 27, 2005

  2. Splibbilla Guest

    in news::

    > Help,
    >
    > I just installed Firefox 1.0.4 and lost ALL my bookmarks!! Is there a
    > way to salvage them?

    probably not. from "sad experience", i suggest almost constant backing up of bookmarks. (Continuously Compounding
    Interest is a good metaphor :) ) Once setup, Cobian backup is good freeware.

    Of any user file, bookmarks are the most time consuming to tend. i really think bookmarks are the major weakness (almost fatal
    weakness) of Moz-based apps for people who go "Type-A" about their Mark/Favs.

    i have some fixit ideas (but I don't know how do-able). i should do a sloppy post to the wishlist group on secnews.

    one immediate fix, and probably not too difficult to program, is to allow by default all "mystical user decisions to send
    deleted/overwritten files to Recycle bin. (Trash can on mac/apple)

    --
    All Gecko/1.7.8: 20050511, Mozilla1.7.20050.51112, Firefox1.0.4
    1 WinXP + FF + GoogleBar(XPI-rimental), Sage, PrefBar, Tabmix, Tabbrowser Preferences, IEView, &?

    Splibbilla, May 28, 2005

  3. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:

    > Help,
    >
    > I just installed Firefox 1.0.4 and lost ALL my bookmarks!! Is there a
    > way to salvage them?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Some more info would be most helpful. Was this a clean (first-time)
    install? Or an upgrade? Operating system? Do you have a backup of
    your profile? How long has your bookmarks file been growing? Have you
    looked in your profile folder to see if it's there and what size it is?
    Do you have more than one profile?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 28, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thank you for your response.
    *Not a new install, it was upgraded from V1.0.0
    *As far as I know, I don't have a backup of my profile. Is there a way
    to check this?
    *I've been saving these bookmarks for about 5 months
    *I only have the default profile

    By the way, I'm learning from this bad expereince and now I'm using
    Furl.net and save all my bookmarks on line.

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 09:54:10 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Help,
    >>
    >> I just installed Firefox 1.0.4 and lost ALL my bookmarks!! Is there a
    >> way to salvage them?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >Some more info would be most helpful. Was this a clean (first-time)
    >install? Or an upgrade? Operating system? Do you have a backup of
    >your profile? How long has your bookmarks file been growing? Have you
    >looked in your profile folder to see if it's there and what size it is?
    > Do you have more than one profile?

    , Jun 1, 2005
  5. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > Thank you for your response.
    > *Not a new install, it was upgraded from V1.0.0

    It's possible a new profile was created during the installation. Run
    Profile Manager and see if there's more than one. Or use Windows
    Explorer to check the default profiles location and see if there's more
    than one. If so, look in each for a file called bookmarks.html.

    > *As far as I know, I don't have a backup of my profile. Is there a way
    > to check this?

    Unless you run regular backups of the folder where the profile is stored
    you don't have a backup.

    > *I've been saving these bookmarks for about 5 months
    > *I only have the default profile
    >
    > By the way, I'm learning from this bad expereince and now I'm using
    > Furl.net and save all my bookmarks on line.

    You really should backup up your entire profile on a regular basis.
    Mine is done automatically every night.
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end.

    Ed Mullen, Jun 1, 2005